Dual use pedal advice please!

Jeannine

Dec 30, 2003
After testing many bike, I bought a Specialized Cirrus and would like some advice on pedals. I'd like dual use pedals i.e., ones that have clips for use with biking shoes and ones that have a strap I can slip my normally shod foot into. Any recommendations?

Originally posted by Jeannine
After testing many bike, I bought a Specialized Cirrus and would like some advice on pedals. I'd like dual use pedals i.e., ones that have clips for use with biking shoes and ones that have a strap I can slip my normally shod foot into. Any recommendations?

Try Performance. Winwood makes an Instep Pedal Insert--Shimano and Look.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=346&Store=Bike

There are pedals,from nashbar and performance I think that use an spd cleat on one side and a platform on the other that a strap could be attached to. It will be unhandy as heck. Better bet is just forget the strap with regular shoes and casual riding. Or,use two separate pedals.They are quick and easy enough to change out.

Clearly, I am a novice so really appreciate the advice re whether tis better to swap out pedals or use two-in-one pedals. Is there one that's clearly better than t'other?

Jeannine

Clearly, I am a novice so really appreciate the advice re whether tis better to swap out pedals or use two-in-one pedals. Is there one that's clearly better than t'other?

Jeannine
Not exactly what you are asking now.But I use dual sided (spd/platform),but without straps..also switch between spd mtb type and look road type pedals on a few bikes. short answer,I'm a swapper and just don't like or use straps. Not sure there is a 'Best' answer, but more of a personal preference.

Jeannine

I have fitted Shimano M646 SPD pedals to two of my bikes. They are double sided SPD's but with a large cage so can be ridden with normal shoes. They are designed for downhill, but I use them for all sorts of riding.

I love them.

The other thing is that there are a lot of shoes available for clipless pedals with a recessed (SPD type) of cleat that look (almost) like regular casual tennis shoes. I have a pair from Cannondale that I use for casual riding and they're actually not too bad for walking around in. that way I can just leave the pedals alone and wear whichever pair of shoes is right for the type of riding I'm doing.

Hi Jeanine,

You might also consider Power Grips. Find out more about those here: http://www.ekosport.com/pg_benefits.shtml

Also Below is info from the Performance Bike website about a pedal that I like a lot (although I don't use the toe clips). It's relatively cheap, light enough, and it works with either spd cleats or with sneakers:

Performance Campus Pedal
Sale Price:$49.99 $39.99 (That's 20% Off!)
Item #00-1473B
In Stock

Hey, why not have your cake and eat it too? Ride in any shoes you want on the platform side (or don't clip in for spooky sections), then flip the pedal and clip right in. Perfectly compatible with Shimano SPD cleats. Alloy toothed platform, adjustable release tension. Can be used with or without toe clips, with or without cleats. Black (BLK). Taiwan.

See our Combo Offer!

Toe-straps are generally used by folks who want some of the benefits of clipless pedals (greater security while in motion; efficient power transfer) without the shoe/cash commitment.

If you'd like to have a bike that you can use for both super-casual excursions and more intense fitness rides, it makes more sense to use a strapless platform on some days and to use SPDs on rides when you're looking for more efficiency. If you'd rather not get a wrench out every time you'd like a change, consider taking boudreaux's advice and getting a dual-sided pedal (platform/SPD) with either no straps or removable straps. The model Blackberry points out above, from Performance, is along those lines.

I hate straps. Either bolt me in, or let my foot be free. I think you'd appreciate the same options. Good luck.

Thanks for all of the excellent postings on the dual use pedal. I have a better sense of what to do now. Really appreciate it. Now if I could just get some slightly warmer weather here in DC.

Jeannine

I have a pair of the Shimano equivalent. They're a bit stiff for walking around all day, but for short trips to the grocery store, they save me the trouble of having to change shoes or have bulky pedals on my road bike.

meehs said:
The other thing is that there are a lot of shoes available for clipless pedals with a recessed (SPD type) of cleat that look (almost) like regular casual tennis shoes. I have a pair from Cannondale that I use for casual riding and they're actually not too bad for walking around in. that way I can just leave the pedals alone and wear whichever pair of shoes is right for the type of riding I'm doing.

I have had a similar conversation about these type of pedals on this forum recently. What I had to add was that the Nashbar Rodeo pedals (platform on one side, and SPD on the other) were of such poor quality that I did not even mount them on a bike. The other poster that mentioned the same type from Performance, though, was satisfied. The pedals are a good idea for what you need, just do yourself a favor and avoid the Nashbar ones.

Janine,

If you are in an urban environment like DC please do not use straps; any sudden stops and you will fall over. Specialized makes great shoes with recessed SPD cleats for normal walking. I personally use Shimano 545 on my racing MTN bike (Santa Cruz Blur) as I unclip in certain technical terrain. I used Wellgo on my touring bike and commuter bike and they worked flawlessly at 1/3 the cost. Tell us what you decide to do.
Dave

meehs said:
Do you happen to know if these work with Speedplay cleats? My suspicion is that it might not, but I've never looked that closely.

John

shimano makes a dual sided pedal (i think the m525?) and you are able to put toe cages on the platform side.