duathlon anyone....

jonny_velo

New Member
Mar 16, 2003
anyone in here do duathlon?......

im a longtime bike racer....but interested in a change.....

any info would be great..

cheers

take it easy

jonii

I am racing in my very first one in about 6 weeks g

- - - - - - - - - - - " n o g r e a t t h i n g i s c r e a t e d s u d d e n l y . . . "
- - - - - - - - - - - Garett A. Bugda [email protected] www.gng.com

"jonny_velo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> anyone in here do duathlon?......
>
> im a longtime bike racer....but interested in a change.....
>
> any info would be great..
>
> cheers
>

> take it easy
>
> jonii
>

> --
> "Fight with the firm conviction of victory"
>
> This forum is a gateway to the rec.sport.triathlon usenet newsgroup. Any
posts you make in this forum will be propogated to usenet.

I'm doing my first one this weekend in San Diego. I've been cycling and running non-competitively for a couple of years, so competing in duathlons seemed like a natural progression.

There is a really good book called "Training Programs for the Multisport Athlete" that has a chapter on how cyclists can go about transitioning into duathletes. I bought the book and highly recommend it.

check out www.duathlon.com for race info, coverage, www.trinewbies.com for some free training
programs you can adapt (skip the swims), www.trifind.com for race dates and locations...

your basic training plan includes regular, consistent running and riding and brick workouts
(bike-run or run-bike-run) to adapt to switching quickly from one to the other. a very generic
sample would be 2 mile easy run - 15 mile bike build to race pace - run 2 miles fast. the keys to
running well off the bike are a) being in good standalone running shape and b) being a strong
cyclist (so you can ride well without blowing up).

enjoy