dublin city marathon course map?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Nina Stoessinge, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. hi ho,

    Is it just me / my browser, or does www.dublincitymarathon.ie not feature a course map? I can
    see all the street names listed but nothing else. Since I don't have a Dublin map handy that's
    not much use.

    Does anyone have a course map handy, or know where I can find one? I know some folks here have run
    this in the past so I figured maybe somebody has a map. I've been to Dublin before and would love
    to see where the crowd passes (BTW I did order the info materials by email but nothing has
    happened so far).

    cheers, nina

    Tags:

  2. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    --
    Paul

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com/myweb/index.htm Updated 19 April 03

  3. I ran it, and I don't think I ever found a good map. The start and finish is just south of
    Trinity College.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "nina stoessinger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hi ho,
    >
    > Is it just me / my browser, or does www.dublincitymarathon.ie not feature
    a course
    > map? I can see all the street names listed but nothing else. Since I don't
    have a
    > Dublin map handy that's not much use.
    >
    > Does anyone have a course map handy, or know where I can find one? I know
    some
    > folks here have run this in the past so I figured maybe somebody has a
    map. I've
    > been to Dublin before and would love to see where the crowd passes (BTW I
    did
    > order the info materials by email but nothing has happened so far).
    >
    > cheers, nina

  4. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:52:14 +0100, Paul Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:15:29 +0200, "nina stoessinger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>hi ho,
    >>
    >>Is it just me / my browser, or does www.dublincitymarathon.ie not feature a course map? I can see
    >>all the street names listed but nothing else. Since I don't have a Dublin map handy that's not
    >>much use.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have a course map handy, or know where I can find one? I know some folks here have run
    >>this in the past so I figured maybe somebody has a map. I've been to Dublin before and would love
    >>to see where the crowd passes (BTW I did order the info materials by email but nothing has
    >>happened so far).
    >>
    >>cheers, nina

    The map's there - click on 'Course' and follow the link. Maybe the site wasn't working earlier?

    --
    Paul

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com/myweb/index.htm Updated 19 April 03

  5. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:53:15 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I ran it, and I don't think I ever found a good map. The start and finish is just south of
    > Trinity College.

    I got a really detailed map at registration. I expect you did too, but were too drunk too
    read it (-:

    --

  6. "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The map's there - click on 'Course' and follow the link. Maybe the site wasn't working earlier?

    What link?? When I click on Course all I get is a list of street names with a couple of silly
    photos. Am I totally gaga?

    *sigh* nina

  7. I guess I was too busy watching the snowboarding to remember. But I sure remember that hill coming
    up on the zoo.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:53:15 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I ran it, and I don't think I ever found a good map. The start and finish is just south of
    > > Trinity College.
    >
    > I got a really detailed map at registration. I expect you did too, but were too drunk too
    > read it (-:
    >
    > --
    > Paul
    >
    > http://paulrooney.netfirms.com/myweb/index.htm Updated 19 April 03

  8. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:49:38 +0200, "nina stoessinger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> The map's there - click on 'Course' and follow the link. Maybe the site wasn't working earlier?
    >
    >What link?? When I click on Course all I get is a list of street names with a couple of silly
    >photos. Am I totally gaga?
    >
    >*sigh* nina

    Sorry! Click on Route Map, and then Here for the PDF (for which you need Acrobat Reader).

    --
    Paul

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com/myweb/index.htm Updated 19 April 03

  9. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:58:00 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I guess I was too busy watching the snowboarding to remember. But I sure remember that hill
    > coming up on the zoo.

    I also remember them saying the course was flat!!! That was a shock, that hill.

    --

  10. "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sorry! Click on Route Map, and then Here for the PDF (for which you need Acrobat Reader).

    Ach, doh. I didn't even SEE the Route Map Link, since I figured it must be under "Course" then
    didn't look any further.

    What an un-intuitive interface on that end. Er, what a silly reader on this end.
    :)

    Thanks and sorry for the silly q.

    nina

  11. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:16:02 +0200, "nina stoessinger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Sorry! Click on Route Map, and then Here for the PDF (for which you need Acrobat Reader).
    >
    >Ach, doh. I didn't even SEE the Route Map Link, since I figured it must be under "Course" then
    >didn't look any further.
    >
    >What an un-intuitive interface on that end. Er, what a silly reader on this end.
    >:)
    >
    >Thanks and sorry for the silly q.
    >
    >nina

    No problem - you're right, it's a poor site design.

    --
    Paul

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com/myweb/index.htm Updated 19 April 03

  12. Chris Smith

    Chris Smith Guest

    An aside to this thread about race site design shortcomings: the Flash map of the Marine Corps
    Marathon course is not just the coolest thing on that entire race web site, it's one of the best
    information pages for a product/organization I've ever seen on the Internet. Although it's not
    exactly "buried" in the site (see link below), it's a couple of layers down, and not exactly
    featured once you find the link to an "Interactive Course Map." If I were in charge--and no, the
    military has not called me to ask for help for some reason--I would feature a can't-miss-it link to
    that map on the home page of the site, because it speaks volumes about the quality of
    MCM. Just watching that little pointer glide around the race course--no ITB strain or
    heat-exhaustion for that little guy--is enough to make a sane person crazy enough to enter
    the MCM lottery. If you visit the map, note the ability to activate a variety of optional
    overlays showing aid stations and other items on the map, not to mention the synchronized
    elevation chart. I almost feel better about paying $80 to run 4 hours just by looking at the
    thing. -chris

    http://www.doitsports.com/graphics/MCM/coursemapflash.html

    Paul Rooney wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:16:02 +0200, "nina stoessinger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Sorry! Click on Route Map, and then Here for the PDF (for which you need Acrobat Reader).
    > >
    > >Ach, doh. I didn't even SEE the Route Map Link, since I figured it must be under "Course" then
    > >didn't look any further.
    > >
    > >What an un-intuitive interface on that end. Er, what a silly reader on this end.
    > >:)
    > >
    > >Thanks and sorry for the silly q.
    > >
    > >nina
    > >

    > No problem - you're right, it's a poor site design.
    >
    > --
    > Paul
    >
    > http://paulrooney.netfirms.com/myweb/index.htm Updated 19 April 03

  13. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:56:55 GMT, Chris Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    >An aside to this thread about race site design shortcomings: the Flash map of the Marine Corps
    >Marathon course is not just the coolest thing on that entire race web site,

    No doubt you're right, but I'll never know - life's too short to wait for it to load!

    --

  14. "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > I guess I was too busy watching the snowboarding to remember. But I sure remember that hill
    > > coming up on the zoo.
    >
    > I also remember them saying the course was flat!!! That was a shock, that hill.

    Is that in Phoenix Park?

    nina (Who's been in Dublin a bunch of times, but never up in that park - what's it like to
    run there?)

  15. It starts outside the park (south side) and continues in the park. Not real steep, but it goes on
    forever with out a pause.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "nina stoessinger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I guess I was too busy watching the snowboarding to remember. But
    > > >sure remember that hill coming up on the zoo.
    > >
    > > I also remember them saying the course was flat!!! That was a shock, that hill.
    >
    > Is that in Phoenix Park?
    >

    > nina (Who's been in Dublin a bunch of times, but never up in that park -
    what's it
    > like to run there?)

  16. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 20:14:06 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It starts outside the park (south side) and continues in the park. Not real steep, but it goes
    > on forever with out a pause.

    Indeed. Somewhere around mile 18, just where you don't want it to be!

    --

  17. "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > It starts outside the park (south side) and continues in the park. Not real steep, but it
    > > goes on forever with out a pause.
    >
    > Indeed. Somewhere around mile 18, just where you don't want it to be!

    Seriously. That is evil.

    nina