Dublin to Cork via Kilkenny

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Cod, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Cod

Cod New Member

Hi:
    We in the Cranks Cycling Club in Cork are thinking of a 2 day spin from Dublin to Cork, overnighting in Kilkenny. I was wondering if anyone had ideas about an interesting route for the first leg, Dublin to Kilkenny?

Is there any point in going through Glendlough or Aughrim or would it be too much of a detour? Would we be better going through Blessington, Tullow. Carlow? I can see the routes on the map but it's hard to judge the terrain/road quality. We're used to short tough climbs in West Cork, on rough roads, but havent done anything around Wicklow.

BTW It's great to be back in the saddle after that long long winter. :)

Tags:

2. Tonto

Tonto New Member

The Blessington-Tullow-Carlow route is pretty flat, some rolling hills but nothing severe. If you went via Glendalough it is a bit of a detour alright. The Wicklow Gap would take you directly back to the N81 from Glendalough, but that road actually heads slightly north so it's adding quite a bit of distance. The Wicklow Gap climb is pretty tough alright (did it twice yesterday :D ). The gradient is here
    It was a category 3 climb on the 1998 TdF so it could be a nice addition to your route.
    Could be better to head on from Laragh to Rathdrum and down to Aughrim and try and cut across country from there to Carlow (south of Aughrim I'm not familiar with.....there be dragons etc ;) ). Laragh to Rathdrum and Aughrim is a lovely route. There's a short but steep hill into Rathdrum and some short sharp ones after Rathdrum but that's about it.

Edit: just noticed that the original post was way back in April....ah well, I should check this board more often I guess.

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Dublin - Cork, is far easier going Dublin-Naas-Newbridge-Kildare-Portlaoise-Urlingford-Cashel-Mitchelstown-Cork City

Dublin-Cork, via Kilkenny is a bit lumpy and certainly going across the from Dublin to Kilkenny via Wicklow Gap/SallyGap is very very tough.

4. Cod

Cod New Member

Thanks limerickman, it's just that we wanted to avoid the main road with heavy traffic etc, and a lot of us would drive that route fairly often to meetings etc in Dublin so would be a bit fed up of it by now. We were thinking that Kilkenny would be a nice stop-off on the way down. As it turns out we've dropped the plan since CIE announced that they will no longer take bikes on InterCity trains, we have no other way of geting up to Dublin. The bollixes!
    Hope ye've all sobered up by now in Limerick after the rugby excitement:)

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Cod, Cork-Dublin via Kilkenny is a de-tour and adds a few extra miles on (great if you have the time to spare to do that route).

I've cycled Dublin - Thurles - Limerick.
    I went the old road - out of Dublin through Naas - Newbridge (old Polaroid factory road) - Kildare - Monastrevin - Portlaoise.
    That is the old main Portlaoise - Dublin road and the traffic there is non-existent.
    Portlaoise - Thurles : you're back out on the main Dublin-Cork road but you have the benfit of large hard shoulders on either side of the road (not ideal but better than being cramped).

Thurles - Cork (which I've driven) is much the same as Portlaoise-Thurles.

I didn't know that Iarnrod Eireann had refused to take bikes (they did last year because I put my bike in the carriage used for mail).
    If that's the case they are a show of bollixes.

Enjoyed Munster's win - even though I'm a Dub it was greta to see them finally win it.

6. Cod

Cod New Member

Sounds like a plan all right, the old roads to Portlaoise etc. IarnrodEireann announced the new rule about bikes about 3 weeks ago, it's a pity, I bought my new Specialized road bike in Dublin last year, pedalled to Heuston station and took it down on the Gurds van for 8 euro, very handy. I'm not sure what their thinking is, if any.

7. mikbianchi

mikbianchi New Member

I've cycled Dublin - Thurles - Limerick.
    I went the old road - out of Dublin through Naas - Newbridge (old Polaroid factory road) - Kildare - Monastrevin - Portlaoise.
    That is the old main Portlaoise - Dublin road and the traffic there is non-existent.
    Portlaoise - Thurles : you're back out on the main Dublin-Cork road but you have the benfit of large hard shoulders on either side of the road (not ideal but better than being cramped).

Limerickman I've cycled most of this route a lot (going from Celbridge to Rearcross in north Tipp) and I find the N7 part of the route mind numbingly boring.I would'nt recomend it to anyone looking for a bit of scenery. Also there always seems to be a head-wind. And the traffic through Abbeyleix can be a nightmare especially for a big group.

8. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Boring? The backroads from Dublin - Portlaoise?
    I didn't find them boring : passing through Kildare, Monastrevin is a pleasure these days.

or are you talking about Portlaoise to Rearcross? Again, places like Durrow, Cullahill, Urlringford aren't great but Thurles to Rearcross is very scenic.
    Ballycahill, Holyford is smashing.

Granted thw south westerly wind doesn't help and it tough going.

I did the Limerick - Thurles road at the weekend (forgot that Clare were playing in Thurles : traffic was mad on Sunday).

Are you from Rearcross?

9. mikbianchi

mikbianchi New Member

My wife is from Rearcross. I cycle as far as Monasterevin across by Lullymore and Rathangan which is very nice. Its Portlaoise to the Turnpike which I'm not fond of, especially Durrow to Urlingford - exposed road and all those drags.
    I love the last 20 miles or so from Thurles to Rearcross. Usually get a sprint away from a Jack Russel near Kilcommon!
    Is this the road you use from Limerick to Thurles?

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

There are two Jack Russells who chase me : coming out of Newport, the road climbs for about 1 km. On the steep bit of that road on the lefthand side there is a B&B and they've two Jack Russells there.
    Invariably, they make an appearance when I struggle by!

Travelling toward Rearcross from Newport, the road flattens out over Slieve Felim and then on to RC (The Rising Sun pub on the left - Kennedy's on the right).
    Sometimes, I swing down to the right and travel down toward Cappamore/Cappawhite, but I usually keep going straight on and up by Holyford, around the steep turn at the bridge, on to Ballycahill and on in to Thurles.
    Some nice climbs around Kilcommon though as well, if I decide to go left between Rearcross and Holyford coming from Limerick direction.

Portlaoise to the Turnpike is very exposed and narrow in places, I agree.
    The road is up and down too.
    Even the road from the Turnpike in to Thurles can be pretty dangerous.

Maybe we'll meet on the road someday?

11. mikbianchi

mikbianchi New Member

Planning on cycling down to Rearcross this Sunday. It will be my last training spin before the Wicklow 200.
    Was out yesterday in Wicklow - fom Celbridge over to Saggart, Up Slade Valley to Sally Gap, down by Glenmacnass waterfall to Laragh. The road surface pass the waterfall is in bits. After Laragh up the Wicklow Gap and on to Valleymount, Blessington, Kill and home.
    The roads are already marked for next weekend and the markings are much better than previous years. The Weather was glorious- hope it stays like that 'till next weekend.
    I haven't done many miles this year - didnt really start 'till April so hope I'll have enough done for the 11th

12. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Good luck on the spin to Rearcross.
    The forecast is excellent for the weekend.

I did Limerick - Thurles - Limerick last Tuesday, and met a group from Wales in Newport at McGraths pub.

Yeah, the roads up around the waterfall and Callory Bog are dreadful (too much weekend traffic there).
    I used train on those roads a lot (I'm a Dub) : next time you're heading up the Sally Gap on the right there's a bridge : go over the bridge and try climbing Ballysmutten. It's a nice hard climb!
    Sally Gap is tough enough for the last mile or so - the road gets steeper as you climb.

I'm 50/50 about doing the Wicklow this year. I've done it for the past 5 years and I'm not that pushed about doing it this year.
    They've taken out the Devil Glen this year : that always found people out.
    Last year people were walking up it.

I'm going to give the Ring of Kerry a go : I did it years ago - and it's about time I gave it another spin.

I might see you out on the Sunday so - I've got a nice route planned for Sunday (Castletroy, Silvermines, Newport, Rearcross, Cappawhite, Cappamore, Rearcross, Newport and home).

The following weekend it's Limerick to Dublin possibly (I do it at least once each year).

We gotta make the most of this weather!

see ya.

13. mikbianchi

mikbianchi New Member

Did the spin to tipp on Sunday. Slowest ever -6hrs 40 mins but at least I could walk when I got to the end. weather was lovely and there was a nice breeze blowing to keep everthing cool. The Gordon Bennet vintage car rally was on so there was something to look at on the monotonous part of the route.
    Didn't see a single cyclist all the way down. Are there any cyclists in the midlands?
    Enjoy the Kerry spin but think about doing the Wicklow 200, there should be better facilities at UCD than RTE, maybe even hot showers!
    Good luck

14. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Cycled to Dublin last Saturday.
    Weather was very warm.

I've done the Wicklow for the past few years and to be honest I just couldn't be bothered doing it again this year.

There are plenty of clubs round the midlands. Portlaoise/Birr/Tullamore have clubs.
    Further south Nenagh's got a very strong team too.

Best of luck on Sunday.