Duct tape off carbon?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scott, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I took off a wrap of duct tape from my Easton monkey lite carbon bars. I want to remove the residue
    left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use? Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    scott wrote:
    > I took off a wrap of duct tape from my Easton monkey lite carbon bars. I want to remove the
    > residue left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use? Thanks in advance.

    Pledge. Presumably other types of similar furniture polish would work too, and would be extremely
    unlikely to damage the finish on carbon.

    JimP

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    scott wrote:
    > I took off a wrap of duct tape from my Easton monkey lite carbon bars. I want to remove the
    > residue left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use?

    WD40.

    ~PB

  4. the above two are my first two picks when the store puts sticky on my bars to attack the
    workshop slip.

    nick

    news:[email protected]... scott wrote:
    > I took off a wrap of duct tape from my Easton monkey lite carbon bars. I want to remove the
    > residue left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use?

    WD40.

    ~PB

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >
    >>I took off a wrap of duct tape from my Easton monkey lite carbon bars. I want to remove the
    >>residue left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use?
    >

    > WD40.

    I'm not sure that I'd want WD40 anywhere near carbon fiber? Yes, it's great to remove adhesive, but
    could it damage the bars?

    David

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    David Kunz wrote:

    >> WD40.
    >
    > I'm not sure that I'd want WD40 anywhere near carbon fiber? Yes, it's great to remove adhesive,
    > but could it damage the bars?

    How? By dissolving them?

    WD40 hasn't done any harm to my carbon forks.

    ~PB

  7. Ray Heindl

    Ray Heindl Guest

    scott <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I took off a wrap of duct tape from my Easton monkey lite carbon bars. I want to remove the
    > residue left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use? Thanks in advance.

    Peanut butter. Smear some on and let it sit for a day or two; the peanut oil will dissolve the
    adhesive. I haven't tried it with duct tape, but it works with lots of other sticky things. And
    the mice like
    it.

    --
    Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)

  8. "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > David Kunz wrote:
    >
    > >> WD40.
    > >
    > > I'm not sure that I'd want WD40 anywhere near carbon fiber? Yes, it's great to remove adhesive,
    > > but could it damage the bars?
    >
    > How? By dissolving them?
    >
    > WD40 hasn't done any harm to my carbon forks.
    >
    > ~PB

    Acetone, 409, etc. will work fine. No paint strippers should be used at all. For tape residue,
    rubbing it with oily fingers will coax it away eventually.

  9. John Carrier

    John Carrier Guest

    3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner.

    R / John

    "scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I took off a wrap of duct tape from my Easton monkey lite carbon bars. I want to remove the
    > residue left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use? Thanks in advance.

  10. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest