Duct tape off carbon?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scott, Mar 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott

Scott Guest

I took off a wrap of duct tape from my Easton monkey lite carbon bars. I want to remove the residue
    left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use? Thanks in advance.

Tags:

2. Jim Price

Jim Price Guest

scott wrote:
    > I took off a wrap of duct tape from my Easton monkey lite carbon bars. I want to remove the
    > residue left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use? Thanks in advance.
    >

Pledge. Presumably other types of similar furniture polish would work too, and would be extremely
    unlikely to damage the finish on carbon.

JimP

3. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

scott wrote:
    > I took off a wrap of duct tape from my Easton monkey lite carbon bars. I want to remove the
    > residue left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use?

WD40.

~PB

4. the above two are my first two picks when the store puts sticky on my bars to attack the
    workshop slip.

nick

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... scott wrote:
    > residue left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use?

WD40.

~PB

5. David Kunz

David Kunz Guest

Pete Biggs wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >
    >>I took off a wrap of duct tape from my Easton monkey lite carbon bars. I want to remove the
    >>residue left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use?
    >
    >
    > WD40.

I'm not sure that I'd want WD40 anywhere near carbon fiber? Yes, it's great to remove adhesive, but
    could it damage the bars?

David

6. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

David Kunz wrote:

>> WD40.
    >
    > I'm not sure that I'd want WD40 anywhere near carbon fiber? Yes, it's great to remove adhesive,
    > but could it damage the bars?

How? By dissolving them?

WD40 hasn't done any harm to my carbon forks.

~PB

7. Ray Heindl

Ray Heindl Guest

scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> residue left behind. Question: Anyone know a safe / effective remover to use? Thanks in advance.

Peanut butter. Smear some on and let it sit for a day or two; the peanut oil will dissolve the
    adhesive. I haven't tried it with duct tape, but it works with lots of other sticky things. And
    the mice like
    it.

--
    Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)

8. "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > David Kunz wrote:
    >
    > >> WD40.
    > >
    > > I'm not sure that I'd want WD40 anywhere near carbon fiber? Yes, it's great to remove adhesive,
    > > but could it damage the bars?
    >
    > How? By dissolving them?
    >
    > WD40 hasn't done any harm to my carbon forks.
    >
    > ~PB

Acetone, 409, etc. will work fine. No paint strippers should be used at all. For tape residue,
    rubbing it with oily fingers will coax it away eventually.

9. John Carrier

John Carrier Guest

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner.

R / John

"scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

10. Matt O'Toole

Matt O'Toole Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.