Duke Blue Devil - 2003

Chronofish

Guest
Hello,

I am competing in my first IM distance tri - and since my chearleader (wife) has made sure that I
know that there are only 15 weeks left, I am starting to get that sinking feeling that maybe I'm not
doing things quite right.

My approach has been to focus on the run as that has seemed to be my weakest in the past (I'm not
new to triathlon - just to IM). This was especailly noticeable in the Firmman I did last year - a
1/2 Ironman. My running plan has essentially been to follow a beginers level marathon workout (I'm
now on week 13 of 18) while biking has been a long ride (currently in the 60's and working my way up
to 130ish) and at least one shorter ride during the week. I brick at least every other week. My
swimming has never been faster, so I am in a maintence mode with it (2 times a week 2100-3000 and
will be doing open water pond swims soon - maybe even some ocean swims).

Once I complete the marathon training schedule, I will focus the remaining 10 weeks on the bike and
integrating it more with the run - keeping in mind to taper two weeks prior to the race.

Any words of wisdom, like "Dude, you're screwed" or maybe something a little kindler and gentler?

Thanks! Christopher

The longest I've gone is a half, but from what you describe, and with the time that you have left, I
would say"dude, you are doing good, keep it up and good luck"

Andres

I would concentrate on the bike instead of the run. If your goal is to finish, the bike is key
because you have to be able to ride and take in enough nutrition to get you onto the run. The bike
will carry over to the run, fitness wise, and you will benefit from the knowledge that you are
strong on the bike.

I did this race last year, my fifth IM. It's a good race. Good luck to you.

news:<[email protected]>...