Duke Blue Devil bike - what about the dogs?

John Hardt

Guest
Hi all,

I'm registered to participate in the Duke Blue Devil this October which will be my first IM. Part of
the reason I chose the DBD is because I have a friend who lives in Raleigh, NC and has offered her
home as my private "Olympic Village".

So... I spent the long holiday weekend visiting Raleigh and took advantage of the beautiful Saturday
weather to go for my first ride on the DBD bike course. I have several questions for those of you
who may live in the area and ride this course on a regular basis.

1. Parking at the Beaverdam recreation area was a pain, in fact the 16-year-old manning the park
entrance booth wanted to charge me a second park entrance fee at the end of my ride when I tried
to return to my car. Also, highway 50 wasn't the most bike friendly route on a holiday weekend.
For those who ride in this area often, where do you usually park? Does anyone park at the fire
station at Purnell and New Light Roads and just do the "loop" portion of the course? Does the
fire department mind? I couldn't see any other reasonable place to park.

2. Near the farthest point on the DBD course (along either Grey Rock or Cannady's Mill Road I
think) there was a "home" (read: trailer) with five LARGE dogs in the front yard. ALL FIVE of
these dogs chased me for over a half mile when I cam by with one hanging on for nearly a mile.
I'm used to getting chased by dogs at home in Ohio - and one I can deal with. But I've never
been chased by five at once and this experience scared the #%$*! out of me. What do those of you
ride this course often do about this menace? Can someone who did the race last year tell me
if/how this was dealt with on race day? I can't imaging 500 racers going by this house twice
each and no one getting hurt.

3. Although it was a little breezy on Saturday, I felt very little effect from the wind due (I
think) to the large trees throughout the area. Is this typical of the course? I'm used to large
open farm fields where every bit of wind has an effect.

Sorry for the long post. Any local advice (even if it doesn't address the above questions) would be
appreciated.

John Dublin, Ohio

> So... I spent the long holiday weekend visiting Raleigh and took
advantage
> of the beautiful Saturday weather to go for my first ride on the DBD bike course. I have several
> questions for those of you who may live in the
area
> and ride this course on a regular basis.
>
> 1. Parking at the Beaverdam recreation area was a pain, in fact the 16-year-old manning the park
> entrance booth wanted to charge me a second park entrance fee at the end of my ride when I
> tried to return to my car. Also, highway 50 wasn't the most bike friendly route on a holiday
> weekend. For those who ride in this area often, where do you usually park? Does anyone park at
> the fire station at Purnell and New Light Roads and just do the "loop" portion of the course?
> Does the fire department mind? I couldn't see any other reasonable place to park.

John: we had the exact same problem last year all three times that we rode the course. We talked our
way into the parking area and explained we would be coming in and out. It was nice to have the lake
to swim in upon return and the showers there.

You could check with the fire station and possibly park there. I think if you did that and rode both
loops, you might be going only about 85-90 miles total.

> 2. Near the farthest point on the DBD course (along either Grey Rock or Cannady's Mill Road I
> think) there was a "home" (read: trailer) with five LARGE dogs in the front yard. ALL FIVE of
> these dogs chased me for over a half mile when I cam by with one hanging on for nearly a mile.
> I'm used
> getting chased by dogs at home in Ohio - and one I can deal with. But
I've
> never been chased by five at once and this experience scared the #%$*! out of me. What do those of
> you ride this course often do about this menace? Can someone who did the race last year tell me
> if/how this was dealt with
on
> race day? I can't imaging 500 racers going by this house twice each and
no
> one getting hurt.

Again, we had the same problem last year training. But on race day, the organizers had actually gone
up to these houses (and others) with chasing dogs and advised the owners to curb them on race day.
They also spray-painted "DOGS" on the roads in front of such houses to forewarn us. There weren't
any dogs on raceday, thankfully. Until then, you could either have your friend call Animal Control
or carry your pepper spray!

> 3. Although it was a little breezy on Saturday, I felt very little effect from the wind due (I
> think) to the large trees throughout the area. Is
this
> typical of the course? I'm used to large open farm fields where every bit of wind has an effect.

Wind was less of a factor than the constant rolling hills up and down. Several wide open places
(near the lake and bridge overpasses) were windy. But it can get windy around there in the hot
summer weather.

Good luck, hope to see you there, and hope this helps!

--
Bernie Hall o __o </\_ \ < __/\ /\o__ (0) (0) / \__o ^^^^^^ ^ ^
2.4 - 112 - 26.2 Great Floridian Triathlon 2000~12.40.14 2001~12:30.36 2002~13:18.22 The Duke

> Sorry for the long post. Any local advice (even if it doesn't address the above questions) would
> be appreciated.
>
> John Dublin, Ohio

Bernie,

Thanks for the great reply. I'll see you there, but judging by your times I'll probably only see you
at the starting line - the rest of the day I'll be WAY behind you.

John

On 05/27/03 6:30 AM, "Bernie Hall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

> I've
>> never been chased by five at once and this experience scared the #%$*! out of me. What do those
>> of you ride this course often do about this menace? Can someone who did the race last year tell
>> me if/how this was dealt with
> on
>> race day? I can't imaging 500 racers going by this house twice each and
> no
>> one getting hurt.
>
> Again, we had the same problem last year training. But on race day, the organizers had actually
> gone up to these houses (and others) with chasing dogs and advised the owners to curb them on race
> day. They also spray-painted "DOGS" on the roads in front of such houses to forewarn us. There
> weren't any dogs on raceday, thankfully. Until then, you could either have your friend call Animal

I'm curious about your pepper spray comment, because although I've used it in the past, I've never
seen how one dog may react when his "buddy" gets sprayed. I'd be afraid of stopping one in his
tracks and pissing the other four off.

I also wonder how the dogs' redneck owner may react to his dogs getting sprayed. Would he come
outside with a shotgun? Or (perhaps more realistically) become even less cooperative with bikers in
general. If cyclists are passing by every weekend spraying his dogs, how likely is he going to be to
cooperate on race day?

Basically, I don't want to aggravate an already bad situation. So, have you actually used pepper
spray on these particular dogs? Or do you just run the gauntlet?

John

John: I never used it on the DBD Course. I carry it with me only when I know there are really bad
dogs on the route and use it only in case of emergency. You're right about the owners (who are the
real problem) If they are in the yard, I stop, trying to hold the dog(s) off, and ask them to please
get their dog so that I can continue. Usually they just say something like "he ain't goin' to git
'ya" It's nice that the owner seems to know that! A Veterinarian friend of mine will stop, dismount,
and inform the owner he's calling Animal Control right there on the spot on his cellphone (a bolder
move, but he has connections there)
--
Bernie Hall o __o </\_ \ < __/\ /\o__ (0) (0) / \__o ^^^^^^ ^ ^
2.4 - 112 - 26.2 Great Floridian Triathlon 2000~12.40.14 2001~12:30.36 2002~13:18.22 The Duke
Blue Devil 2002~12:26.39 "John Hardt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BAF90038.FAD%[email protected]...
> On 05/27/03 6:30 AM, "Bernie Hall" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> 2. Near the farthest point on the DBD course (along either Grey Rock
or
> >> Cannady's Mill Road I think) there was a "home" (read: trailer) with
five
> >> LARGE dogs in the front yard. ALL FIVE of these dogs chased me for
over a
> >> half mile when I cam by with one hanging on for nearly a mile. I'm
used
> >> getting chased by dogs at home in Ohio - and one I can deal with. But
> > I've
> >> never been chased by five at once and this experience scared the #%$*!
out
> >> of me. What do those of you ride this course often do about this
menace?
> >> Can someone who did the race last year tell me if/how this was dealt
with
> > on
> >> race day? I can't imaging 500 racers going by this house twice each
and
> > no
> >> one getting hurt.
> >
> > Again, we had the same problem last year training. But on race day, the organizers had actually
> > gone up to these houses (and others) with
chasing
> > dogs and advised the owners to curb them on race day. They also spray-painted "DOGS" on the
> > roads in front of such houses to forewarn
us.
> > There weren't any dogs on raceday, thankfully. Until then, you could
either
> > have your friend call Animal Control or carry your pepper spray!
>
> Bernie,
>
> I'm curious about your pepper spray comment, because although I've used it in the past, I've never
> seen how one dog may react when his "buddy" gets sprayed. I'd be afraid of stopping one in his
> tracks and pissing the
other

On 05/28/03 6:03 AM, "Bernie Hall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> John: I never used it on the DBD Course. I carry it with me only when I know there are really bad
> dogs on the route and use it only in case of emergency. You're right about the owners (who are the
> real problem) If they are in the yard, I stop, trying to hold the dog(s) off, and ask them to
> please get their dog so that I can continue. Usually they just say something like "he ain't goin'
> to git 'ya" It's nice that the owner seems to know that! A Veterinarian friend of mine will stop,
> dismount, and inform the owner he's calling Animal Control right there on the spot on his
> cellphone (a bolder move, but he has connections there)
> --
> Bernie Hall o __o </\_

Bernie,

Thanks for the good info. If you guys are able to stop and dismount I suppose that's a pretty good
sign that the dogs are more or less harmless. It makes a big difference knowing that if you stop
pedaling you won't get eaten alive!

John