Duke Blue Devil IM Distance Race Reports?

D

Dingo

Any race reports from folks who did the Blue Devil yesterday? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the
new run course.. I'm interested in doing this event in 2004.

Thanks and congrats in advance!

On 10/12/03 12:06 PM, in article, "Dingo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Any race reports from folks who did the Blue Devil yesterday? I'd like to hear your thoughts on
> the new run course.. I'm interested in doing this event in 2004.
>
> Thanks and congrats in advance!

Ditto.

Hello,

The Duke Blue Devil was a huge success. There were 206 male and 40 female racers. The day was damp
and cool but the fans faces where bright and warm. The swim had to be postponed about 18 minutes
because of darkness. The bike became windy about 4 hours into the race. The run was a challenge to
say the least. As one contestent told be the day after the race "I've done a lot of marathons and
that one was the toughest".

I can't say I particularly cared for the hills, but personally I loved the loop concept. I trained
specifically for this type of course, so I was used to seeing the same thing over and over. What was
nice was that I stopped counting miles after the first loop and started counting laps. It's much
easier on the brain to say "4 more laps" rather than "20 more miles". I had a great cheering
section, so that really helped as well - every 50 minutes I would see my wife's delightful smile.

I can't say enough good things about the preperation and organization for this event. Granted it was
my first Iron distance, but I have completed nearly 25 triathlons over the last 10 years, so I think
I have an idea of what an organized race should be like.

David Glover, the winner from last year, won again this year. His time was 9:17:26 - last year he
finished in 8:57:19 - I'll let you draw your own conclusion about the course speed.

The full results can be found at www.dukebluedevil.org. Pictures (lots of them) can be seen at
http://www.brightroom.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=2427

- Christopher (#72)

PS. Watch for my "epic" story in my next post

"Dingo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<P_eib.33172$k74.1295@lakeread05>...
> Any race reports from folks who did the Blue Devil yesterday? I'd like to hear your thoughts on
> the new run course.. I'm interested in doing this event in 2004.
>
> Thanks and congrats in advance!