Duke of Gloucester

Fred wrote:

> I long for sensible speed limits not set by geriatric self motivated
> councillors. Only then will I respect some speed limits.

You're half right - a lot of limits are stupid (there's a road near here
where the limit was cut from 60 to 30 last year). But you should
complain to the council, not break the law - that's the thin end of the
wedge.

PeteC wrote:

> I'm a member. I've just emailed the IAM saying that either he goes or I do -
> he's singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of the IAM.
>
> In the real world, of course, he'll get a slap on the wrist by the IAM and
> told not to do it again - so I doubt I'll be a member for much longer!

I understand that he has been kicked out as a member (by default) but
they are still considering his position as president. Why this takes
any consideration at all is beyond me.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 13:17:46 -0000, "Tony W"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I long for sensible speed limits not set by geriatric self motivated
>> councillors. Only then will I respect some speed limits.

>ISTR people claiming "its all right, I drive better on five pints. Hicc."
>
>Most speed limits are set 'by formula'. I don't think Councillors,
>geriatric or otherwise, have much if any say in the matter.

Perhpas the local authority could put a little badge on the signs
denoting whether the limit was set by formula or by committee, and if
the latter, giving details of the ages of the members and any
infirmity they may suffer from. Then Fred could decide whether the
limit is worthy of his attention.

Tim

Tim Hall wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 13:17:46 -0000, "Tony W"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> I long for sensible speed limits not set by geriatric self

motivated
> >> councillors. Only then will I respect some speed limits.

> >ISTR people claiming "its all right, I drive better on five pints.

Hicc."

> >Most speed limits are set 'by formula'. I don't think Councillors,
> >geriatric or otherwise, have much if any say in the matter.
> >

> Perhpas the local authority could put a little badge on the signs
> denoting whether the limit was set by formula or by committee, and if
> the latter, giving details of the ages of the members and any
> infirmity they may suffer from. Then Fred could decide whether the
> limit is worthy of his attention.

(cue IAM propoganda) "the limits are set by the motorists themselves"

Andy Dingley wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:38:49 +0900, James Annan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I know a couple of pretty normal people
>>who live in North Wales.

> So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
> Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
> speeding offences over everything else.

I think you've answered your own question. If nearly all the drivers
there have been caught speeding, that shows they nearly all speed; hence
the police have a serious speeding problem to sort out, which they are
doing.

Why the hell do the media and the Tories (the party of Laura Norder, ho
ho) all bleet like crazy about criminals being caught and punished?
Nobody gets fined for speeding unless they speed.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> PeteC wrote:
>
>> I'm a member. I've just emailed the IAM saying that either he goes or
>> I do - he's singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of the IAM.
>>
>> In the real world, of course, he'll get a slap on the wrist by the IAM
>> and told not to do it again - so I doubt I'll be a member for much
>> longer!

> I understand that he has been kicked out as a member (by default) but
> they are still considering his position as president. Why this takes
> any consideration at all is beyond me.

Its because when such organisations invite a Royal in as president or
whatever, the organisation is ever so humbly grateful for the enormous
honour etc etc, and endeavours to bow and scrape to him to its utmost
ability on every possible occasion. This makes it tricky to suddenly
switch to saying "All right, matey, on your bike, NOW, don't bother to
clear your desk".

I'm betting they really, really hope he'll sort it for them by resigning
before they have to work out how to uninvite him.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

"JLB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm betting they really, really hope he'll sort it for them by resigning
> before they have to work out how to uninvite him.

I think the the expression "f*ck off " is understood by all, even when
stated in RP. Hmm...."naff orf", who said that?

Pete