Duke of Gloucester

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Zog The Undeniable, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  3. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:19:41 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >He must be a complete idiot to get caught for speeding *four times* in
    >three years.

    Or live in North Wales !

  4. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:19:41 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>He must be a complete idiot to get caught for speeding *four times* in
    >>three years.

    > Or live in North Wales !

    Oh, I think that's a bit harsh. I know a couple of pretty normal people
    who live in North Wales. At one time, I had thoughts of living there...

    James
    by treading on the toes of giants.

  5. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:38:49 +0900, James Annan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I know a couple of pretty normal people
    >who live in North Wales.

    So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
    Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
    speeding offences over everything else.

  6. LSMike

    LSMike Guest

    I'd say that's commendable.

  7. On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:28:27 +0000, Andy Dingley
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >>I know a couple of pretty normal people
    >>who live in North Wales.

    >So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
    >Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
    >speeding offences over everything else.

    Prioritising drink-driving led to a massive decline in offences and -
    partly by placing the drink-drivers in a minority - also resulted in
    its becoming socially unacceptable. I long for the day that speeding
    follows the same path.

    Guy
    --
    "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
    blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Andy Dingley
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:38:49 +0900, James Annan
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I know a couple of pretty normal people
    >>who live in North Wales.

    > So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
    > Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
    > speeding offences over everything else.

    Name one other sort of crime which kills even one tenth as many people
    in a year. Then think about police priorities.

    Hint: all other crime put together doesn't kill one tenth as many people
    in a year.

    --
    [email protected]ine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Friends don't send friends HTML formatted emails.

  9. PeteC

    PeteC Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > Oh dear, oh dear. Anyone a member of the IAM? He isn't, not anymore.
    > He must be a complete idiot to get caught for speeding *four times* in
    > three years.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/4120545.stm

    I'm a member. I've just emailed the IAM saying that either he goes or I do -
    he's singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of the IAM.

    In the real world, of course, he'll get a slap on the wrist by the IAM and
    told not to do it again - so I doubt I'll be a member for much longer!

    Pete.

  10. Andy Dingley wrote:

    > So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
    > Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
    > speeding offences over everything else.

    I live in North Wales and don't find it at all hard to avoid penalty
    points. All you have to do is observe the speed limits.

    Alan

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    PeteC wrote:

    > I'm a member. I've just emailed the IAM saying that either he goes or I do -
    > he's singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of the IAM.

    Interesting that they seemingly ignored the three previous offences
    leading up to this high profile disclosure. So I don't think he did it
    single handedly - he had a number of colluders helping him IMO.

    Tony

  12. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    A.C.P.Crawshaw wrote:

    > All you have to do is observe the speed limits.

    Lots of people observe a speed limit but then carry on driving at
    whatever speed they think they can get away with ;-)

    Tony

  13. Fred

    Fred Guest

    > On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:28:27 +0000, Andy Dingley
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >>I know a couple of pretty normal people
    > >>who live in North Wales.

    > >So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
    > >Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
    > >speeding offences over everything else.

    > Prioritising drink-driving led to a massive decline in offences and -
    > partly by placing the drink-drivers in a minority - also resulted in
    > its becoming socially unacceptable. I long for the day that speeding
    > follows the same path.
    >
    > Guy
    > --

    I long for sensible speed limits not set by geriatric self motivated
    councillors. Only then will I respect some speed limits.

  14. Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

    | PeteC wrote:
    |
    | > I'm a member. I've just emailed the IAM saying that either he goes or I do -
    | > he's singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of the IAM.
    |
    | Interesting that they seemingly ignored the three previous offences
    | leading up to this high profile disclosure. So I don't think he did it
    | single handedly - he had a number of colluders helping him IMO.

    But I read

    bbc An Institute spokesman said they would be "taking advice" about
    bbc his position.

    as "we're hoping he'll fall on his sword any moment now".

    --
    Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph.html

  15. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > I long for sensible speed limits not set by geriatric self motivated
    > councillors. Only then will I respect some speed limits.

    ISTR people claiming "its all right, I drive better on five pints. Hicc."

    Most speed limits are set 'by formula'. I don't think Councillors,
    geriatric or otherwise, have much if any say in the matter.

  16. In news:p[email protected],
    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> typed:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Andy Dingley
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:38:49 +0900, James Annan
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know a couple of pretty normal people
    >>> who live in North Wales.

    >> So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though.
    >> North Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're
    >> prioritising speeding offences over everything else.

    > Name one other sort of crime which kills even one tenth as many people
    > in a year. Then think about police priorities.
    >
    > Hint: all other crime put together doesn't kill one tenth as many
    > people in a year.

    Murder rate c.1000 p/a. road death rate c.3600 p/a.

    Although I suspect you're right as far as Dumfries is concerned.

  17. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Patrick Herring wrote:
    > Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > | PeteC wrote:
    > |
    > | > I'm a member. I've just emailed the IAM saying that either he goes or I do -
    > | > he's singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of the IAM.
    > |
    > | Interesting that they seemingly ignored the three previous offences
    > | leading up to this high profile disclosure. So I don't think he did it
    > | single handedly - he had a number of colluders helping him IMO.
    >
    > But I read
    >
    > bbc An Institute spokesman said they would be "taking advice" about
    > bbc his position.
    >
    > as "we're hoping he'll fall on his sword any moment now".

    Still doesn't answer the question of why the IAM did nothing after his
    first, second or third offence.

    Tony

  18. On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:28:27 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:38:49 +0900, James Annan
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I know a couple of pretty normal people
    >>who live in North Wales.

    > So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
    > Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
    > speeding offences over everything else.

    A glance at their website suggests otherwise. 'Safer roads' seems to be
    their fourth priority:

    http://www.north-wales.police.uk/about_us/vision/index.asp?

    "North Wales experiences a relatively low crime and disorder rate as well
    as a reduction in the number of people killed or seriously injured on the
    roads. Building on this solid foundation, we are constantly improving our
    services to achieve:

    Less Crime

    Less Disorder

    Less fear of crime

    Safer roads"

    --
    Michael MacClancy

    www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
    www.macclancy.co.uk

  19. On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 13:07:31 -0000, "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message <[email protected]>:

    >I long for sensible speed limits not set by geriatric self motivated
    >councillors. Only then will I respect some speed limits.

    Well, they have been reduced in some places, but you are right, in far
    too many cases the limits are still to high because the old farts on
    the council are too fond of driving fast.

    Guy
    --
    "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
    blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
    onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
    around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

  20. PeteC

    PeteC Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > PeteC wrote:
    >

    >> I'm a member. I've just emailed the IAM saying that either he goes
    >> or I do - he's singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of the IAM.
    >>

    > Interesting that they seemingly ignored the three previous offences
    > leading up to this high profile disclosure. So I don't think he did
    > it single handedly - he had a number of colluders helping him IMO.
    >
    > Tony

    True... I always thought that if you're caught speeding once you loose your
    membership. If not, it should be! On your membership renewal every year you
    have to declare if you've gained any points for anything.

    Pete.