Duke of Gloucester

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Oh dear, oh dear. Anyone a member of the IAM? He isn't, not anymore.
> He must be a complete idiot to get caught for speeding *four times* in
> three years.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/4120545.stm

Yeah, you're dead right. Surely part of advanced driving is advanced
observation, somewhat at odds with getting nicked 4 times in 3 years.

Pete

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:19:41 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote:

>He must be a complete idiot to get caught for speeding *four times* in
>three years.

Or live in North Wales !

Andy Dingley wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:19:41 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>He must be a complete idiot to get caught for speeding *four times* in
>>three years.

> Or live in North Wales !

Oh, I think that's a bit harsh. I know a couple of pretty normal people
who live in North Wales. At one time, I had thoughts of living there...

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:38:49 +0900, James Annan
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I know a couple of pretty normal people
>who live in North Wales.

So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
speeding offences over everything else.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:28:27 +0000, Andy Dingley
<[email protected]>:

>>I know a couple of pretty normal people
>>who live in North Wales.

>So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
>Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
>speeding offences over everything else.

Prioritising drink-driving led to a massive decline in offences and -
partly by placing the drink-drivers in a minority - also resulted in
its becoming socially unacceptable. I long for the day that speeding
follows the same path.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

in message <[email protected]>, Andy Dingley
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:38:49 +0900, James Annan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I know a couple of pretty normal people
>>who live in North Wales.

> So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
> Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
> speeding offences over everything else.

Name one other sort of crime which kills even one tenth as many people
in a year. Then think about police priorities.

Hint: all other crime put together doesn't kill one tenth as many people
in a year.

;; Friends don't send friends HTML formatted emails.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Oh dear, oh dear. Anyone a member of the IAM? He isn't, not anymore.
> He must be a complete idiot to get caught for speeding *four times* in
> three years.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/4120545.stm

I'm a member. I've just emailed the IAM saying that either he goes or I do -
he's singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of the IAM.

In the real world, of course, he'll get a slap on the wrist by the IAM and
told not to do it again - so I doubt I'll be a member for much longer!

Pete.

Andy Dingley wrote:

> So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
> Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
> speeding offences over everything else.

I live in North Wales and don't find it at all hard to avoid penalty
points. All you have to do is observe the speed limits.

Alan

PeteC wrote:

> I'm a member. I've just emailed the IAM saying that either he goes or I do -
> he's singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of the IAM.

Interesting that they seemingly ignored the three previous offences
leading up to this high profile disclosure. So I don't think he did it
single handedly - he had a number of colluders helping him IMO.

Tony

A.C.P.Crawshaw wrote:

> All you have to do is observe the speed limits.

Lots of people observe a speed limit but then carry on driving at
whatever speed they think they can get away with ;-)

Tony

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:28:27 +0000, Andy Dingley
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >>I know a couple of pretty normal people
> >>who live in North Wales.

> >So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
> >Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
> >speeding offences over everything else.

> Prioritising drink-driving led to a massive decline in offences and -
> partly by placing the drink-drivers in a minority - also resulted in
> its becoming socially unacceptable. I long for the day that speeding
> follows the same path.
>
> Guy
> --

I long for sensible speed limits not set by geriatric self motivated
councillors. Only then will I respect some speed limits.

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

| PeteC wrote:
|
| > I'm a member. I've just emailed the IAM saying that either he goes or I do -
| > he's singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of the IAM.
|
| Interesting that they seemingly ignored the three previous offences
| leading up to this high profile disclosure. So I don't think he did it
| single handedly - he had a number of colluders helping him IMO.

But I read

bbc An Institute spokesman said they would be "taking advice" about
bbc his position.

as "we're hoping he'll fall on his sword any moment now".

--
Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph.html

> I long for sensible speed limits not set by geriatric self motivated
> councillors. Only then will I respect some speed limits.

ISTR people claiming "its all right, I drive better on five pints. Hicc."

Most speed limits are set 'by formula'. I don't think Councillors,
geriatric or otherwise, have much if any say in the matter.

In news:p[email protected],
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> typed:
> in message <[email protected]>, Andy Dingley
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:38:49 +0900, James Annan
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I know a couple of pretty normal people
>>> who live in North Wales.

>> So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though.
>> North Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're
>> prioritising speeding offences over everything else.

> Name one other sort of crime which kills even one tenth as many people
> in a year. Then think about police priorities.
>
> Hint: all other crime put together doesn't kill one tenth as many
> people in a year.

Murder rate c.1000 p/a. road death rate c.3600 p/a.

Although I suspect you're right as far as Dumfries is concerned.

Patrick Herring wrote:
> Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> | PeteC wrote:
> |
> | > I'm a member. I've just emailed the IAM saying that either he goes or I do -
> | > he's singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of the IAM.
> |
> | Interesting that they seemingly ignored the three previous offences
> | leading up to this high profile disclosure. So I don't think he did it
> | single handedly - he had a number of colluders helping him IMO.
>
> But I read
>
> bbc An Institute spokesman said they would be "taking advice" about
> bbc his position.
>
> as "we're hoping he'll fall on his sword any moment now".

Still doesn't answer the question of why the IAM did nothing after his
first, second or third offence.

Tony

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:28:27 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:38:49 +0900, James Annan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I know a couple of pretty normal people
>>who live in North Wales.

> So do I. Not many of them still have unstained licences though. North
> Wales police have a rather bizarre policy where they're prioritising
> speeding offences over everything else.

A glance at their website suggests otherwise. 'Safer roads' seems to be
their fourth priority:

http://www.north-wales.police.uk/about_us/vision/index.asp?

"North Wales experiences a relatively low crime and disorder rate as well
as a reduction in the number of people killed or seriously injured on the
roads. Building on this solid foundation, we are constantly improving our
services to achieve:

Less Crime

Less Disorder

Less fear of crime

Safer roads"

--
Michael MacClancy

www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
www.macclancy.co.uk

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 13:07:31 -0000, "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>I long for sensible speed limits not set by geriatric self motivated
>councillors. Only then will I respect some speed limits.

Well, they have been reduced in some places, but you are right, in far
too many cases the limits are still to high because the old farts on
the council are too fond of driving fast.

Guy
--

Tony Raven wrote:
> PeteC wrote:
>

>> I'm a member. I've just emailed the IAM saying that either he goes
>> or I do - he's singlehandedly destroyed the reputation of the IAM.
>>

> Interesting that they seemingly ignored the three previous offences
> leading up to this high profile disclosure. So I don't think he did
> it single handedly - he had a number of colluders helping him IMO.
>
> Tony

True... I always thought that if you're caught speeding once you loose your
membership. If not, it should be! On your membership renewal every year you
have to declare if you've gained any points for anything.

Pete.