duke top out clunky clunk

Kent

Guest
Ok so I clean my bike but the forks haven't had a service in
2 years. Today I have found this problem, it just appeared.
The forks top out with a clunk, the rebound adjustment,
doesn't, it sort of moves a little and returns back to its
position. I haven't put too much pressure in the forks. The
forks are still very smooth. As an extra what type of oil is
in the forks as new as I would like to put a slightly
heavier type in to slow the rebound down (something that
should have been done from the start). Regards Kent

"Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok so I clean my bike but the forks haven't had a service
> in 2 years.

The root cause of your fork problem.

No fork should go two years without service.

If you can't figure out how to work on it from the service
guide, you can download from the Rock Shox site, I suggest
you take it to your LBS.

Kent said...

> Ok so I clean my bike but the forks haven't had a service
> in 2 years. Today I have found this problem, it just
> appeared. The forks top out with a clunk, the rebound
> adjustment, doesn't, it sort of moves a little and returns
> back to its position. I haven't put too much pressure in
> the forks. The forks are still very smooth. As an extra
> what type of oil is in the forks as new as I would like to
> put a slightly heavier type in to slow the rebound down
> (something that should have been done from the start).
> Regards Kent

Sounds like your damper kicked the bucket. It will need new
parts and an overhaul. RockShox oil is 5wt and they don't
recommend using anything else.

"Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok so I clean my bike but the forks haven't had a service
> in 2 years.
Today
> I have found this problem, it just appeared. The forks top
> out with a clunk, the rebound adjustment, doesn't, it sort
of
> moves a little and returns back to its position. I haven't
> put too much pressure in the forks. The forks are still
> very smooth. As an extra what type of oil is in the forks
> as new as I would like to put
> slightly heavier type in to slow the rebound down
> (something that should have been done from the start).
> Regards Kent

Normally RS uses 5wt oil. You can find different weights of
fork oil at any motorcycle shop for much cheaper than the
stuff the LBS sells you.

Tom

Thanks for that now I just gotta download a service manual strip it and
check it.