dumb ass rules

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jeff Pooter, May 30, 2003.

  1. Jeff Pooter

    Jeff Pooter Guest

    I was about to grace the bike racing world with my super fit, hairy-leg, groovy presence for the
    first time in 15 months. Having waited an hour for the 1-4s to race, I collected with the other cool
    dudettes at the start line, only to be informed:

    A. orange flags are illegal, but we'll let it slide this time.
    B. Recumbents are not permitted and we'll NOT let it slide this time.

    Rule A strikes me as the more stoopid one. There's no sensible rationale that I can think of. If we
    want to be safe, let our competitors and cars know where we are, who cares?

    Rule B is the more annoying one, though I can barely accept the presumed reasoning. Last week I
    bought the WISIL Missile lowracer (full suspension) along with its two full fairings. I rode it a
    few times to get used to it and just went and did a race on it today. I'm not in good shape, riding
    10-20 miles every now and then on my other bent or my upright.

    I'll have to find an official who'll let me race for the prize. I've heard quite a few say they'll
    let bents in TT's. And even some allow em in crits.

    Jeff Pooter [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Les Earnest

    Les Earnest Guest

    Jeff Pooter wrote:
    > I was about to grace the bike racing world with my super fit, hairy-leg, groovy presence for the
    > first time in 15 months. Having waited an hour for the 1-4s to race, I collected with the other
    > cool dudettes at the start line, only to be informed:
    >
    > A. orange flags are illegal, but we'll let it slide this time.
    > B. Recumbents are not permitted and we'll NOT let it slide this time.
    >
    > Rule A strikes me as the more stoopid one. There's no sensible rationale that I can think of. If
    > we want to be safe, let our competitors and cars know where we are, who cares?
    >
    > Rule B is the more annoying one, though I can barely accept the presumed reasoning. Last week I
    > bought the WISIL Missile lowracer (full suspension) along with its two full fairings. I rode it a
    > few times to get used to it and just went and did a race on it today. I'm not in good shape,
    > riding 10-20 miles every now and then on my other bent or my upright.

    There are no such USCF rules, but you occasionally meet race officials who make things up.
    Recumbents are permitted under the rules provided that they are no more than 2 meters long. That is
    a tough design limitation but it has been met by some and a few have placed in USCF time trials.

    There is a general safety rule (1O7) that can be used to bar the use of equipment that appears to
    present a danger to other riders. This might reasonably be invoked in a mass start race, for
    example, to prohibit a recumbent with a chain ring in front without a chain guard.

    -Les Earnest

  3. Scott Patton

    Scott Patton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Les Earnest <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Jeff Pooter wrote:
    >> I was about to grace the bike racing world with my super fit, hairy-leg, groovy presence for the
    >> first time in 15 months. Having waited an hour for the 1-4s to race, I collected with the other
    >> cool dudettes at the start line, only to be informed:
    >>
    >> A. orange flags are illegal, but we'll let it slide this time.
    >> B. Recumbents are not permitted and we'll NOT let it slide this time.
    >>
    >> Rule A strikes me as the more stoopid one. There's no sensible rationale that I can think of. If
    >> we want to be safe, let our competitors and cars know where we are, who cares?
    >>
    >> Rule B is the more annoying one, though I can barely accept the presumed reasoning. Last week I
    >> bought the WISIL Missile lowracer (full suspension) along with its two full fairings. I rode it a
    >> few times to get used to it and just went and did a race on it today. I'm not in good shape,
    >> riding 10-20 miles every now and then on my other bent or my upright.
    >
    >There are no such USCF rules, but you occasionally meet race officials who make things up.
    >Recumbents are permitted under the rules provided that they are no more than 2 meters long. That is
    >a tough design limitation but it has been met by some and a few have placed in USCF time trials.

    Les,

    The orange flag is an item waiting to fall off the bike. In addition he said it has 2 fairings.
    Fairings are illegal.

    Scott
    --
    -*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing
    Web Services

  4. Km

    Km Guest

    les and scott, you are more than intelligent guys, the whole premis was a spoof.

    "scott patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Les Earnest <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Jeff Pooter wrote:
    > >> I was about to grace the bike racing world with my super fit,
    hairy-leg,
    > >> groovy presence for the first time in 15 months. Having waited an hour for the 1-4s to race, I
    > >> collected with the other cool dudettes at the
    start
    > >> line, only to be informed:
    > >>
    > >> A. orange flags are illegal, but we'll let it slide this time.
    > >> B. Recumbents are not permitted and we'll NOT let it slide this time.
    > >>
    > >> Rule A strikes me as the more stoopid one. There's no sensible
    rationale
    > >> that I can think of. If we want to be safe, let our competitors and
    cars
    > >> know where we are, who cares?
    > >>
    > >> Rule B is the more annoying one, though I can barely accept the
    presumed
    > >> reasoning. Last week I bought the WISIL Missile lowracer (full suspension) along with its two
    > >> full fairings. I rode it a few
    times
    > >> to get used to it and just went and did a race on it today. I'm not in good shape, riding 10-20
    > >> miles every now and then on my other bent or my upright.
    > >
    > >There are no such USCF rules, but you occasionally meet race officials who make things up.
    > >Recumbents are permitted under the rules provided that they are no more than 2 meters long. That
    > >is a tough design limitation but it has been met by some and a few have placed in USCF time
    > >trials.
    >
    > Les,
    >
    > The orange flag is an item waiting to fall off the bike. In addition he said it has 2 fairings.
    > Fairings are illegal.
    >
    > Scott
    > --
    > -*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing Web
    > Services

  5. Luvjava

    Luvjava Guest

    Last week is was not being allowed to ride with SPD sandles and No sleeve jerseys

    TROLL

    news:[email protected]...