Dumb beginner questions for fixies

John R

Feb 9, 2008
Hey there, the only fixie I ride is a unicycle. I've ridden single speeds but they aren't minimalistic enough for my tastes, so I wanna go with a fixed hub. No biggy, there's a lot of info out there, but I was wondering how many people use toe clips. I've also read here and there that fixie riders are punks? If that's the case, it's cool that I stumbled onto this forum cause I tend to either get driven out of other forums or just plain fed up with all the cliques and petty little leaders that are everywhere. Being a punk is a good thing.

John R said:
Hey there, the only fixie I ride is a unicycle. I've ridden single speeds but they aren't minimalistic enough for my tastes, so I wanna go with a fixed hub. No biggy, there's a lot of info out there, but I was wondering how many people use toe clips. I've also read here and there that fixie riders are punks? If that's the case, it's cool that I stumbled onto this forum cause I tend to either get driven out of other forums or just plain fed up with all the cliques and petty little leaders that are everywhere. Being a punk is a good thing.
Toe clips, clipless pedals, platform pedals who cares? Ride what you like and enjoy it when someone looks down their nose at you. It is often fun to go agianst the grain.

I like having clipless, or at least toe clips, because I find it easier to stop the bike. But even with clipless, don't be one of those fools who takes both brakes off . . .

John R said:
fixie riders are skinheads, not punks. sorry.

John R said:
Dude! Mad props for your unicycle riding :D

I tried fg a bit and wasn't my cup of tea. And I know for a dead-sure fact that unicycle would be my undoing.

A true punk doesn't ask what other are riding...juts do what feels right, there is no wrong

I've seen a lot of punk fixies, I've also seen a lot of punks on Scwinn ten-speeds w/no interest in converting it.

Yes, toe-clips are useful for riding fixed gear. I keep a front brake (and please, keep a front brake, don't be that guy), but I still seldom use it. Most of my stopping is done by backpedaling to slow the bike down, and the straps are a big help in that department.

And I do think a lot of people are getting into fixed-gear as a reaction to the insane snobbery that stems from some road bikers.