Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Dumb drivetrain questions

Started by RonSonic · · Last activity · 58 posts · 1,999 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 July 2005
Last activity
11 August 2005
Original author
RonSonic
Posts
58
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,999
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 58
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Andrew W said:

    No need to change the chainset as your 8 speed chainset will probably
    be fine with 9s chain. Same applies to derailleurs (though I believe
    you need to match mtb front derailleurs with mtb shifters for indexing
    to work properly).

    Cassettes are interchangeable, the "road" or "mtb" is just a marketing
    term and doesn't reflect any differences in geometry etc.

    The things you will need to change are chain, cassette and indexed
    shifters.

    You can have the best of all worlds by retaining the largest sprocket,
    but replacing the rest of the cassette with a closer ratio "road"
    cassette. I do this on my touring bike to give a 13-24 +32
    arrangement. Then you have close ratios with a bail out gear in case
    you hit a steep hill at the end of a long day with lots of luggage.

    Thanks. I'm in the market for a crankset anyway. Long story, but I presently
    have a clear anodized left arm and a black right.

    I don't feel the need for a bail-out gear lower than say a 28. I've not used my
    granny ring since verifying that it works and I do live in Florida. Anything
    that steep and traction is more an issue than torque.

    Good info. Thank you.

    Ron

  2. RonSonic said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    The cassettes I see offered for mountain bikes have cogs I will never use on
    both ends. Seems that getting more choices of useful gears would be better than
    having a 30, 32, 34 I never use never mind the 11 or 12 I don't have enough
    torque or large enough hills for. Something like a 13-28 would be great, but
    isn't sold as a "mountain" cassette.

    FWIW I've been using a 7 speed Dura-ace UNIGLIDE thread on rear
    cassette on my 8 speed XT setup.. (it runs silently and shifts cleanly
    when I want it to.. I have waiting for those darn ramps!)

    Quoted message said:


    So any reason to not use the road parts? I've got an 8 speed setup now, but
    might convert to 9 when I start replacing this stuff.

    road parts tend to be a bit more expensive at least around here..

    Quoted message said:


    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.


    good question.. if the ring spacing is the same then yes, if not then
    maybe not.

  3. RonSonic said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    The cassettes I see offered for mountain bikes have cogs I will never use on
    both ends. Seems that getting more choices of useful gears would be better than
    having a 30, 32, 34 I never use never mind the 11 or 12 I don't have enough
    torque or large enough hills for. Something like a 13-28 would be great, but
    isn't sold as a "mountain" cassette.

    FWIW I've been using a 7 speed Dura-ace UNIGLIDE thread on rear
    cassette on my 8 speed XT setup.. (it runs silently and shifts cleanly
    when I want it to.. I have waiting for those darn ramps!)

    Quoted message said:


    So any reason to not use the road parts? I've got an 8 speed setup now, but
    might convert to 9 when I start replacing this stuff.

    road parts tend to be a bit more expensive at least around here..

    Quoted message said:


    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.


    good question.. if the ring spacing is the same then yes, if not then
    maybe not.

  4. RonSonic said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    The cassettes I see offered for mountain bikes have cogs I will never use on
    both ends. Seems that getting more choices of useful gears would be better than
    having a 30, 32, 34 I never use never mind the 11 or 12 I don't have enough
    torque or large enough hills for. Something like a 13-28 would be great, but
    isn't sold as a "mountain" cassette.

    FWIW I've been using a 7 speed Dura-ace UNIGLIDE thread on rear
    cassette on my 8 speed XT setup.. (it runs silently and shifts cleanly
    when I want it to.. I have waiting for those darn ramps!)

    Quoted message said:


    So any reason to not use the road parts? I've got an 8 speed setup now, but
    might convert to 9 when I start replacing this stuff.

    road parts tend to be a bit more expensive at least around here..

    Quoted message said:


    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.


    good question.. if the ring spacing is the same then yes, if not then
    maybe not.

  5. RonSonic said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    The cassettes I see offered for mountain bikes have cogs I will never use on
    both ends. Seems that getting more choices of useful gears would be better than
    having a 30, 32, 34 I never use never mind the 11 or 12 I don't have enough
    torque or large enough hills for. Something like a 13-28 would be great, but
    isn't sold as a "mountain" cassette.

    FWIW I've been using a 7 speed Dura-ace UNIGLIDE thread on rear
    cassette on my 8 speed XT setup.. (it runs silently and shifts cleanly
    when I want it to.. I have waiting for those darn ramps!)

    Quoted message said:


    So any reason to not use the road parts? I've got an 8 speed setup now, but
    might convert to 9 when I start replacing this stuff.

    road parts tend to be a bit more expensive at least around here..

    Quoted message said:


    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.


    good question.. if the ring spacing is the same then yes, if not then
    maybe not.

  6. RonSonic said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    The cassettes I see offered for mountain bikes have cogs I will never use on
    both ends. Seems that getting more choices of useful gears would be better than
    having a 30, 32, 34 I never use never mind the 11 or 12 I don't have enough
    torque or large enough hills for. Something like a 13-28 would be great, but
    isn't sold as a "mountain" cassette.

    FWIW I've been using a 7 speed Dura-ace UNIGLIDE thread on rear
    cassette on my 8 speed XT setup.. (it runs silently and shifts cleanly
    when I want it to.. I have waiting for those darn ramps!)

    Quoted message said:


    So any reason to not use the road parts? I've got an 8 speed setup now, but
    might convert to 9 when I start replacing this stuff.

    road parts tend to be a bit more expensive at least around here..

    Quoted message said:


    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.


    good question.. if the ring spacing is the same then yes, if not then
    maybe not.

  7. RonSonic said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    Nope

    Quoted message said:


    The cassettes I see offered for mountain bikes have cogs I will never use on
    both ends. Seems that getting more choices of useful gears would be better than
    having a 30, 32, 34 I never use never mind the 11 or 12 I don't have enough
    torque or large enough hills for. Something like a 13-28 would be great, but
    isn't sold as a "mountain" cassette.

    So any reason to not use the road parts? I've got an 8 speed setup now, but
    might convert to 9 when I start replacing this stuff.

    Nope again...the cogsets, regardless of size, are essentially the same
    and cross compatible w/o any issue other than PERHAPS needing to
    shorten the chain a wee bit.

    Quoted message said:


    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.

    Yep, w/o problem.

    Remember, no dumb questions.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks all.

    Ron

  8. RonSonic said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    Nope

    Quoted message said:


    The cassettes I see offered for mountain bikes have cogs I will never use on
    both ends. Seems that getting more choices of useful gears would be better than
    having a 30, 32, 34 I never use never mind the 11 or 12 I don't have enough
    torque or large enough hills for. Something like a 13-28 would be great, but
    isn't sold as a "mountain" cassette.

    So any reason to not use the road parts? I've got an 8 speed setup now, but
    might convert to 9 when I start replacing this stuff.

    Nope again...the cogsets, regardless of size, are essentially the same
    and cross compatible w/o any issue other than PERHAPS needing to
    shorten the chain a wee bit.

    Quoted message said:


    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.

    Yep, w/o problem.

    Remember, no dumb questions.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks all.

    Ron

  9. RonSonic said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    Nope

    Quoted message said:


    The cassettes I see offered for mountain bikes have cogs I will never use on
    both ends. Seems that getting more choices of useful gears would be better than
    having a 30, 32, 34 I never use never mind the 11 or 12 I don't have enough
    torque or large enough hills for. Something like a 13-28 would be great, but
    isn't sold as a "mountain" cassette.

    So any reason to not use the road parts? I've got an 8 speed setup now, but
    might convert to 9 when I start replacing this stuff.

    Nope again...the cogsets, regardless of size, are essentially the same
    and cross compatible w/o any issue other than PERHAPS needing to
    shorten the chain a wee bit.

    Quoted message said:


    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.

    Yep, w/o problem.

    Remember, no dumb questions.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks all.

    Ron

  10. RonSonic said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    Nope

    Quoted message said:


    The cassettes I see offered for mountain bikes have cogs I will never use on
    both ends. Seems that getting more choices of useful gears would be better than
    having a 30, 32, 34 I never use never mind the 11 or 12 I don't have enough
    torque or large enough hills for. Something like a 13-28 would be great, but
    isn't sold as a "mountain" cassette.

    So any reason to not use the road parts? I've got an 8 speed setup now, but
    might convert to 9 when I start replacing this stuff.

    Nope again...the cogsets, regardless of size, are essentially the same
    and cross compatible w/o any issue other than PERHAPS needing to
    shorten the chain a wee bit.

    Quoted message said:


    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.

    Yep, w/o problem.

    Remember, no dumb questions.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks all.

    Ron

  11. RonSonic said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    Nope

    Quoted message said:


    The cassettes I see offered for mountain bikes have cogs I will never use on
    both ends. Seems that getting more choices of useful gears would be better than
    having a 30, 32, 34 I never use never mind the 11 or 12 I don't have enough
    torque or large enough hills for. Something like a 13-28 would be great, but
    isn't sold as a "mountain" cassette.

    So any reason to not use the road parts? I've got an 8 speed setup now, but
    might convert to 9 when I start replacing this stuff.

    Nope again...the cogsets, regardless of size, are essentially the same
    and cross compatible w/o any issue other than PERHAPS needing to
    shorten the chain a wee bit.

    Quoted message said:


    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.

    Yep, w/o problem.

    Remember, no dumb questions.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks all.

    Ron

  12. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:52:22 GMT, RonSonic <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    No. Shimano from 8s onwards are completely compatible with each other for
    the same amount of cogs, and in fact everything except the right shifter
    and the cassette are the same, as well.

    Quoted message said:

    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.

    An 8 speed crankset will work with 9s in rear very nearly as well as a 9s
    crankset, though. Only thing you really need is a new cassette and, for
    index shifting, a new shifter.

    Jasper

  13. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:52:22 GMT, RonSonic <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    No. Shimano from 8s onwards are completely compatible with each other for
    the same amount of cogs, and in fact everything except the right shifter
    and the cassette are the same, as well.

    Quoted message said:

    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.

    An 8 speed crankset will work with 9s in rear very nearly as well as a 9s
    crankset, though. Only thing you really need is a new cassette and, for
    index shifting, a new shifter.

    Jasper

  14. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:52:22 GMT, RonSonic <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    No. Shimano from 8s onwards are completely compatible with each other for
    the same amount of cogs, and in fact everything except the right shifter
    and the cassette are the same, as well.

    Quoted message said:

    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.

    An 8 speed crankset will work with 9s in rear very nearly as well as a 9s
    crankset, though. Only thing you really need is a new cassette and, for
    index shifting, a new shifter.

    Jasper

  15. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:52:22 GMT, RonSonic <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    No. Shimano from 8s onwards are completely compatible with each other for
    the same amount of cogs, and in fact everything except the right shifter
    and the cassette are the same, as well.

    Quoted message said:

    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.

    An 8 speed crankset will work with 9s in rear very nearly as well as a 9s
    crankset, though. Only thing you really need is a new cassette and, for
    index shifting, a new shifter.

    Jasper

  16. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:52:22 GMT, RonSonic <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    No. Shimano from 8s onwards are completely compatible with each other for
    the same amount of cogs, and in fact everything except the right shifter
    and the cassette are the same, as well.

    Quoted message said:

    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.

    An 8 speed crankset will work with 9s in rear very nearly as well as a 9s
    crankset, though. Only thing you really need is a new cassette and, for
    index shifting, a new shifter.

    Jasper

  17. ah no the cassettee's are not the same and it's possible that the
    application needs a ring shim allowing the cassette lock ring to thread
    down tight.
    take one road and one ATB in each hand( you got two hands right?) and
    gander at the cassette's inboard big cluster side.
    the LBS may have a shim selection. get the spectrum and try getting the
    cassette on mit shim if the lock ring doesn't screw down tight or
    doesn't enter the thread when tried without shims.
    i run atb on the road ( no chrome-14 bottom plus 34 custom top)-the
    thread entry finesses with opening the standard spacer's (this is the
    custom cog spacer plus .5mm shim) holes to accept the ATB's inboard
    spacer bumps-and this goes on correctly in one position only!

  18. ah no the cassettee's are not the same and it's possible that the
    application needs a ring shim allowing the cassette lock ring to thread
    down tight.
    take one road and one ATB in each hand( you got two hands right?) and
    gander at the cassette's inboard big cluster side.
    the LBS may have a shim selection. get the spectrum and try getting the
    cassette on mit shim if the lock ring doesn't screw down tight or
    doesn't enter the thread when tried without shims.
    i run atb on the road ( no chrome-14 bottom plus 34 custom top)-the
    thread entry finesses with opening the standard spacer's (this is the
    custom cog spacer plus .5mm shim) holes to accept the ATB's inboard
    spacer bumps-and this goes on correctly in one position only!

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    Assuming the gearing is in the right range for your needs, no there is no
    reason not to do it.

    Quoted message said:

    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.

    Shouldn't be a problem.
    ------------
    Alex

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any reason to not use a Shimano road cassette on an off-road
    drivetrain? Either 8 speed or 9 speed?

    Assuming the gearing is in the right range for your needs, no there is no
    reason not to do it.

    Quoted message said:

    Will a 9 speed crankset work well with 8 speed chain and front der? In case I
    get a deal and want to start the conversion there.

    Shouldn't be a problem.
    ------------
    Alex

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.