Road Cycling · Public discussion

Dumb question #3 - counting gears

Started by Badger_South · · Last activity · 106 posts · 2,339 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 August 2004
Last activity
18 August 2004
Original author
Badger_South
Posts
106
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,339
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 106
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Frank Krygowski" wrote: (clip) Next step in that evolution is a folding
    bike,(clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Any time I am going somewhere that parking is difficult, or expensive, I put
    my Dahon in the car. At the county fair, for example, I drop my wife off at
    the gate, drive a mile or two, and park. She gets in line to buy the
    tickets while I ride back and meet her.

    I also enjoy the envious glances I get from the people I pass, who are
    walking from their cars. (At least I imagine they are envious.)

  2. Leo Lichtman said:

    "Frank Krygowski" wrote: (clip) Next step in that evolution is a folding
    bike,(clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Any time I am going somewhere that parking is difficult, or expensive, I put
    my Dahon in the car. At the county fair, for example, I drop my wife off at
    the gate, drive a mile or two, and park. She gets in line to buy the
    tickets while I ride back and meet her.

    Good idea!

    Quoted message said:


    I also enjoy the envious glances I get from the people I pass, who are
    walking from their cars. (At least I imagine they are envious.)

    Do people normally chortle when they're envious? ;-)

    --
    --------------------+
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com,
    replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

  3. Frank Krygowski said:

    I don't think that anyone is against playing on the bike. But there
    really do seem to be lots of people that think the key to faster cycling
    _in general_ is higher gears (or, for some, more gears).
    Some of us codgers have been hearing this for 30 years now.

    "I can't keep up with my riding buddies. Can you tell me where to get a
    60 tooth chainring?"

    That does sound silly, although for somebody who prefers a glacially
    slow cadence (and has the muscles to make it work), that might be
    realistic.

    However, the "53x11 is useless" attitude is invalid.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My dad thinks it's 100% preposterous. Often we're talking 2.5 miles

    Sure. Take a bike! Just do it. Even fathers can learn from a clear
    demonstration (as my kids have proven). ;-)

    I'm not so sure. He's pretty headstrong about it, and he will likely
    say that he finds it embarrassing for me to show up on a bike at a
    place where we do business.

    Quoted message said:

    FWIW, the few times I have other people work on my cars (most often,
    that's tire changes) I _always_ use the bike to get back and forth. I
    see people sitting in the waiting room, bored to tears, and pity them.

    I don't mind waiting; I'm just as happy to read a book as I am to
    ride a bike. I usually have stuff to do that I can bring with me
    anyway.

    Quoted message said:

    A bike is also the neatest solution I know to the canoe or kayak shuttle
    problem. I've driven to the end, dropped off the bike (and locked it
    securely), driven to the start, and boat down to the bike.

    Nice. I gotta get a canoe or kayak so I can do that too. 😉
    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. Ron Hardin said:

    I have always been concerned to slow down on downhills; I prefer
    uphills.

    Ooh! I have the answer: A bike trailer that can hold an adult; a
    short-duration sedative; and you drag me up hills, while I race us
    down! 😉
    --
    Rick Onanian

  5. "Frank Krygowski" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Churning away in a 53-11 on a steep downhill may get you a few extra
    miles per hour. But the guy you're riding with can just get low, tuck
    in, and stay right with you, using no energy to speak of. Replay this
    enough times on a rolling ride and he'll finish ahead of you every time,
    assuming equal physical attributes.

    Not racing? Just riding solo? Then the 53-11 is similarly useless.
    You'll be further ahead (literally) by getting aero and coasting those
    downhills.

    The _only_ practical application is for a downhill sprint finish. For
    Lance & company, that's important. For almost everyone else, it's
    important only to be able to say "I've got the same gears Lance does!!!!"

    53x11 gives a cadence of 60 at 23 mph. For those of us who favor a cadence
    that low it's a very useful ratio for flats and/or slight downhills.

  6. Bill Davidson said:
    Quoted message said:

    I haven't seen anyone make any headway with such a gear even
    downhill where I often coast by people pushing such gears. Just
    because a racer who IS coasting down a hill can make a sprint to
    the line in such a gear does not make it a useful one. The ratio
    is so high that the sustained additional power one can deliver over
    a higher gear is useless and counter productive except for a
    downwind or downhill short sprint.

    Quoted message said:

    My speedometer disagrees with you.

    Quoted message said:

    Admittedly, I've never had anything smaller than a 13 in the back
    but I did have a 54 up front years ago. I used to go down a steep
    hill on the way home every day and there's was a very noticable
    difference in speed if I pedaled or just coasted down the hill.
    That particular hill would get me around 40mph just coasting in a
    tight tuck. Sometimes when pedalling down the initial steep part of
    the hill would allow me to get as high as 50mph on the really steep
    part that followed. Admittedly, I was coasting by then.

    I assume you did not crouch down into a minimal position when
    coasting, nor put your arms in your gut with hands on the stem. the
    increased drag from using such a position to a pedaling posture is far
    greater than you can muster at over 30mph. It is this effect that I
    experience often when descending with riders with 11t and 12t
    sprockets and large chainwheels who pedal to go faster.

    Quoted message said:

    Now I have a 48 in the front so I can't pedal much past 35mph and
    even then it's a little silly because the cadence is so high. These
    days my arthritic knees win out over my need for speed so my gears
    are low but I still love a fast smooth downhill (on a bike or skis).
    One of these days I've got to try street luge.

    How long can you do this, 200yards or so? On descents on 6% highways,
    coasting has always been faster than pedaling because speeds are over
    30mph just from the gradient when the rider makes himself small on the
    bicycle.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email hidden]

  7. Peter Cole said:
    Quoted message said:

    For most folks who have ridden awhile the gear cluster is known,
    for instance, I know I have 13,15,17,19,21,24 on my old fashioned
    system and two chainwheels, the 46-50t.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am only amazed at what people think they are going to do with
    52-11 or even 52-13 that can't be better done by coasting.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Other than that, just watch when a "spinning" subject comes up here
    or in the "tech" group and the significance attributed to having
    the "right" cadence.

    Quoted message said:

    But, if you & I were riding at the same speed, you in your 50x13 and
    me in my 53x11, the only difference would be our cadence.

    My cadence is zero at that time. Only when the grade levels off will
    I sit up and use that gear. I use it to ride between 25 and 30mph
    with tail winds on on some lesser slopes.

    Quoted message said:

    By saying people have no need for such a ratio, you're just saying
    your cadence is the "right" one for everybody. I think you'd have
    to admit that there is a variation as to what cadence (range) is
    preferred, and the difference between a 50x13 and 53x11 might simply
    reflect that preference.

    I think you are jumping to conclusions.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email hidden]

  8. Michael Warner said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think if you ask this question of newer riders or ask it again in
    maybe five years, they won't know. With 30 combinations, the
    question is irrelevant. Just the same, folks are always amazed
    what others ride on various courses. I am only amazed at what
    people think they are going to do with 52-11 or even 52-13 that
    can't be better done by coasting.

    Quoted message said:

    I find that if I don't keep my legs turning over gently on
    downhills, especially in cold weather, they're a bit stiff when I
    want to take off again at the bottom. The very high gears are handy
    for that (and a bit more speed never hurts!)

    When I was "young and beautiful" I wondered why riders coasted down
    hills slowly pedaling "in neutral". Now that I've ridden a few more
    miles, I tend to do that when descending... but I don't need a big
    gear to do that. It even works pedaling backwards. Try it.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email hidden]

  9. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Peter Cole said:
    Quoted message said:

    For most folks who have ridden awhile the gear cluster is known,
    for instance, I know I have 13,15,17,19,21,24 on my old fashioned
    system and two chainwheels, the 46-50t.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am only amazed at what people think they are going to do with
    52-11 or even 52-13 that can't be better done by coasting.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Other than that, just watch when a "spinning" subject comes up here
    or in the "tech" group and the significance attributed to having
    the "right" cadence.

    Quoted message said:

    But, if you & I were riding at the same speed, you in your 50x13 and
    me in my 53x11, the only difference would be our cadence.

    My cadence is zero at that time.

    Which time is that?

    Quoted message said:

    Only when the grade levels off will
    I sit up and use that gear. I use it to ride between 25 and 30mph
    with tail winds on on some lesser slopes.

    OK, let's take that case then, although I might use it down to 23 mph or so,
    which I can maintain on flats. I just prefer a 60 rpm cadence to 80.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    By saying people have no need for such a ratio, you're just saying
    your cadence is the "right" one for everybody. I think you'd have
    to admit that there is a variation as to what cadence (range) is
    preferred, and the difference between a 50x13 and 53x11 might simply
    reflect that preference.

    I think you are jumping to conclusions.

    I think you're dodging.

  10. Peter Cole said:

    "Frank Krygowski" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Churning away in a 53-11 on a steep downhill may get you a few extra
    miles per hour. But the guy you're riding with can just get low, tuck
    in, and stay right with you, using no energy to speak of. Replay this
    enough times on a rolling ride and he'll finish ahead of you every time,
    assuming equal physical attributes.

    Not racing? Just riding solo? Then the 53-11 is similarly useless.
    You'll be further ahead (literally) by getting aero and coasting those
    downhills.

    The _only_ practical application is for a downhill sprint finish. For
    Lance & company, that's important. For almost everyone else, it's
    important only to be able to say "I've got the same gears Lance
    does!!!!"

    53x11 gives a cadence of 60 at 23 mph. For those of us who favor a
    cadence
    that low it's a very useful ratio for flats and/or slight downhills.

    I really don't understand this argument. I use large gears all the time
    (well, that's an overstatement), and I use them because my ride is mainly
    uphill, then I turn around (it's not 100% like that, as there are two very
    hard hills on the way back). When I get to areas where I get get on the
    drops, into an aerodynamic position, and push big gears, I do. I do this
    because I never get to do it at any other time and it increases my speed.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  11. the black rose said:
    Zoot Katz said:

    Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:03:01 -0700, <XyTSc.34407$Uh.33091@fed1read02>,

    Bill Davidson said:

    One of these days I've got to try street luge.

    Go ahead. You're old enough.

    Est. Top Speed 180+ M.P.H.
    http://www.fastlanerocketluge.com/

    Oh my stars and garters. Let's just lie down on miniature rocket
    engines, shall we? =:-O

    -km


    Now that someone mentioned rockets, I just have to add some totally
    non relevant trivia. Back in the 1960s there was a company out
    of Florida called Turbonique, that made miniature rockets and
    turbines for the quarter mile crowd. The turbines put
    out an insane 1,000HP for about 5 seconds with a gallon or
    so of fuel. The rockets, which only weighed about 50 pounds
    each put out hundreds of pounds of thrust. Some crazy guy put
    2 of them on a go cart and took it to the drag races. That thing
    did over 200 MPH in the quarter mile, with a man on it.
    HE was nuts, enough to make any of us, me included, look very sane.
    The thrust to weight ratio was enough that if he ever hit a bump
    he would have accelerated 'straight up'.
    I will be perfectly happy to coast a bike downhill at 'only' 50 MPH.
    Bill Baka

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

  12. On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:23:05 GMT, Ron Hardin <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Frank Krygowski said:

    I understand that. But in a downhill situation, I do it by seeing how
    tight I can tuck. I go belly to the saddle when I'm trying hardest.

    Ditto on the tuck. It is too hard to pedal while aero tucking, and I
    can't pedal that fast anyway.

    Quoted message said:


    I have always been concerned to slow down on downhills; I prefer
    uphills. I've always been a ``safe'' driver too; I attribute it all
    to flying before I could drive, and satisfying the urge for speed in
    quasi-safety. Eventually I gave up flying for bike riding full time,
    evidently having aged to the point where insurance rates normally
    drop.

    I am also an ex pilot (permanent student actually) and gave it up
    about 1980 when the sky got too crowded. I used to take a J-3 when
    available and just go up for the sightseeing, VFR only. That was
    my getaway, and hanging a camera out got me some nice air photos.

    Quoted message said:


    Aircraft insurance didn't have a pilot age factor, by the way. That's
    probably the same effect restated statistically.

    BTW, my top gear on my most used bike is a 48-14 and that takes some
    effort to maintain a cadence of 85, even though it is useless on a
    downhill blast. I may try a 56 chainring I have in my parts bin but
    I know I couldn't pull it on the flat. It may be good for the 2 or 3
    miles of downhill I can get to, but little use anywhere else.
    If I changed the rear to an 11 tooth and had the 56 up front maybe
    I could pedal at 50 MPH, but why? At that speed it is far easier to
    just coast past any cars in the way after adding a few extra MPH
    by drafting them. The big reward is the look on the drivers face
    after 1) seeing you in the rear view mirror and 2) actually
    passing the car.
    Bill Baka

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

  13. Peter Cole said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > For most folks who have ridden awhile the gear cluster is known,
    > for instance, I know I have 13,15,17,19,21,24 on my old fashioned
    > system and two chainwheels, the 46-50t.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I am only amazed at what people think they are going to do with
    > 52-11 or even 52-13 that can't be better done by coasting.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Other than that, just watch when a "spinning" subject comes up here
    > or in the "tech" group and the significance attributed to having
    > the "right" cadence.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But, if you & I were riding at the same speed, you in your 50x13 and
    me in my 53x11, the only difference would be our cadence.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My cadence is zero at that time.

    Quoted message said:

    Which time is that?

    Follow the bouncing ball in this movie and you'll find it.

    When you are descending and pedaling a 52-11, I'll be coasting at zero
    cadence. I though that is what I read just above your question.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Only when the grade levels off will I sit up and use that gear. I
    use it to ride between 25 and 30mph with tail winds on on some
    lesser slopes.

    Quoted message said:

    OK, let's take that case then, although I might use it down to 23
    mph or so, which I can maintain on flats. I just prefer a 60 rpm
    cadence to 80.

    So what. The point is that pedaling down hills over 30 in a 52-11 is
    slower than casting and more work.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    By saying people have no need for such a ratio, you're just saying
    your cadence is the "right" one for everybody. I think you'd have
    to admit that there is a variation as to what cadence (range) is
    preferred, and the difference between a 50x13 and 53x11 might
    simply reflect that preference.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think you are jumping to conclusions.

    Quoted message said:

    I think you're dodging.

    No. I'm coasting.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email hidden]

  14. Bill Baka said:

    I will be perfectly happy to coast a bike downhill at 'only' 50 MPH.

    I feel quite daring at 30 mph. But then, I'm a ninny and I know it. :-D

    -km

    --
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie
    http://community.webshots.com/user/blackrosequilts

  15. "Bill Baka" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Now that someone mentioned rockets, I just have to add some totally
    non relevant trivia. Back in the 1960s there was a company out
    of Florida called Turbonique, that made miniature rockets and
    turbines for the quarter mile crowd. The turbines put
    out an insane 1,000HP for about 5 seconds with a gallon or
    so of fuel. The rockets, which only weighed about 50 pounds
    each put out hundreds of pounds of thrust. Some crazy guy put
    2 of them on a go cart and took it to the drag races. That thing
    did over 200 MPH in the quarter mile, with a man on it.
    HE was nuts, enough to make any of us, me included, look very sane.
    The thrust to weight ratio was enough that if he ever hit a bump
    he would have accelerated 'straight up'.
    I will be perfectly happy to coast a bike downhill at 'only' 50 MPH.
    Bill Baka

    And further off-topic in the miniature turbine realm, check out this B-52
    scale model w/ 8 turbine engines
    [scroll down about 1/2way]
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1420986

    There are vids available of it flying
    http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Giant_B52/

    Pete

  16. Bob in CT said:
    Peter Cole said:

    "Frank Krygowski" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Churning away in a 53-11 on a steep downhill may get you a few extra
    miles per hour. But the guy you're riding with can just get low, tuck
    in, and stay right with you, using no energy to speak of. Replay this
    enough times on a rolling ride and he'll finish ahead of you every time,
    assuming equal physical attributes.

    53x11 gives a cadence of 60 at 23 mph. For those of us who favor a
    cadence
    that low it's a very useful ratio for flats and/or slight downhills.


    I really don't understand this argument. I use large gears all the time
    (well, that's an overstatement), and I use them because my ride is
    mainly uphill, then I turn around (it's not 100% like that, as there are
    two very hard hills on the way back). When I get to areas where I get
    get on the drops, into an aerodynamic position, and push big gears, I
    do. I do this because I never get to do it at any other time and it
    increases my speed.

    I wonder, do the people who prefer low cadences in large gears also
    prefer to start their golf swing from just a foot behind the ball? Do
    they prefer to throw baseballs with their chest facing straight at the
    batter? Do they prefer to hit every tennis shot backhand?

    My point is: every sport has accumulated generations of wisdom, which
    came from generations of trial and error. And people have known for at
    least 100 years that spinning bike cranks at, say, 80 to 100 rpm works
    better in the long run. That is, you'll be able to ride faster and
    further on any given ride, and you're knees will probably last longer.

    It's not necessary to do this on every ride, of course. When pottering
    along with a slow rider, I'm making very little power, so I use a slow
    cadence. But if actually trying for either a fairly brisk speed, or a
    fairly long distance, a little less pedal force and a little more pedal
    speed (i.e. a little lower gear) works better. If your muscles apply
    less force, they can repeat the motion more times.

    Now, there's no law that says anyone _must_ do this. You can swing a
    club or throw a ball as you like, too. But when you read about older
    guys who enjoy riding distances and hills that burn you out, you might
    wonder if they actually know something you don't.

    --
    --------------------+
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com,
    replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

  17. Frank Krygowski said:

    My point is: every sport has accumulated generations of wisdom,
    which came from generations of trial and error. And people have
    known for at least 100 years that spinning bike cranks at, say, 80
    to 100 rpm works better in the long run. That is, you'll be able to
    ride faster and further on any given ride, and you're knees will
    probably last longer.

    The riders with whom I started bicycling do not follow your maxim and
    rode well without the dread knee failure from not spinning. The spin
    advocates ignore that it is not low pedal RPM that hurts their knees
    but rather high torque which is not directly speed related. Those of
    us who started bicycling in early youth generally don't have knee
    problems. At least those with whom I rode, most of whom retired
    before age 50, were not suffering from bad knees.

    Quoted message said:

    It's not necessary to do this on every ride, of course. When
    pottering along with a slow rider, I'm making very little power, so
    I use a slow cadence. But if actually trying for either a fairly
    brisk speed, or a fairly long distance, a little less pedal force
    and a little more pedal speed (i.e. a little lower gear) works
    better. If your muscles apply less force, they can repeat the
    motion more times.

    I just got back from 3350km in the Alps in what you might call low
    cadence, and never felt better. I've been doing this for many years
    and we ride mainly mountain passes to the tune of 54000 meters
    climbing in 21 days. I have not seen any of the many riding
    companions with whom I have toured spin on these climbs. 40 to 60rpm
    are common on long >10% grades. In particular, Sonora Pass CA is
    usually climbed with even slower rates on its more than 20% grades.

    Quoted message said:

    Now, there's no law that says anyone _must_ do this. You can swing
    a club or throw a ball as you like, too. But when you read about
    older guys who enjoy riding distances and hills that burn you out,
    you might wonder if they actually know something you don't.

    It's as good as an intimidated law. The derision riders get for
    admitting lower than "acceptable" cadences insure that these riders
    remain in the closet, and that isn't an insignificant number from what
    I observe in the hills around here.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email hidden]

  18. Quoted message said:

    I assume you did not crouch down into a minimal position when
    coasting, nor put your arms in your gut with hands on the stem.

    I crouch down while coasting down hill (enough that I worry about hitting
    my stem/bars with my face). I pull my knees in towards the frame too.
    I keep my crank arms parallel to the ground.

    Quoted message said:

    How long can you do this, 200yards or so? On descents on 6% highways,
    coasting has always been faster than pedaling because speeds are over
    30mph just from the gradient when the rider makes himself small on the
    bicycle.

    Since my top gear is now so low (48-13), I don't do it very long.
    I have to coast now. I cannot get up to the speeds I used to with
    the bigger gear on the same hills. YMMV but the bigger gear makes
    me go faster down hill than if I don't have the big gear. I even
    weigh about 30-40 pounds more now than I did then and I still can't
    hit those down hill speeds when I have to stop pedaling and coast a
    little past 30mph.

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Bob who? said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think if you ask this question of newer riders or ask it again in
    maybe five years, they won't know. With 30 combinations, the
    question is irrelevant. Just the same, folks are always amazed
    what others ride on various courses. I am only amazed at what
    people think they are going to do with 52-11 or even 52-13 that
    can't be better done by coasting.

    Quoted message said:

    I ride those gears simply because most of my ride is uphill, where
    I'm going slow, and I try to make up the time when I hit a "flat"
    (i.e., downhill but not too steep) section. Plus, after getting
    hammered on/by the hills, I like to do some hammering myself!

    I haven't seen anyone make any headway with such a gear even downhill
    where I often coast by people pushing such gears. Just because a
    racer who IS coasting down a hill can make a sprint to the line in
    such a gear does not make it a useful one. The ratio is so high that
    the sustained additional power one can deliver over a higher gear is
    useless and counter productive except for a downwind or downhill
    short sprint.

    Sometimes when cresting a hump, I like to put 'er in too tall
    a gear for a moment, right at the apex, and give 'er a good
    stomp or two, just to get a good (coasting) run on the downhill
    side and then work my way up the next up 'hill'.

    Over roller-coaster-y terrain it works out quite ell.

    But it also helps to not get stuck in to tall a gear for the
    next up-grade. Especially when the rider (i.e: me) might
    peter-out halfway up.

    So on roller-coaster-y terrain on which the rider is familiar,
    the big-ring/little sprocket thing can be put to good use.

    Quoted message said:

    Jobst Brandt
    [email hidden]

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  20. Quoted message said:
    Frank Krygowski said:

    My point is: every sport has accumulated generations of wisdom,
    which came from generations of trial and error. And people have
    known for at least 100 years that spinning bike cranks at, say, 80
    to 100 rpm works better in the long run. That is, you'll be able to
    ride faster and further on any given ride, and you're knees will
    probably last longer.

    The riders with whom I started bicycling do not follow your maxim and
    rode well without the dread knee failure from not spinning. The spin
    advocates ignore that it is not low pedal RPM that hurts their knees
    but rather high torque which is not directly speed related.

    As I stated, I don't always use the higher cadences. When putting out
    less power, I might use a lower cadence. In other words, I tend to
    avoid high torque, at least for long periods of riding.

    But saying "high torque ... is not directly speed related" may confuse
    some readers. For a given power output, torque and cadence (pedaling
    speed) _are_ related. A rider on a given road at a given road speed has
    a certain power output. He can produce that power by choosing a higher
    gear, applying more torque, or a lower gear, applying less torque and
    higher cadence.

    I think many novices tend to choose a higher gear than optimum. As a
    consequence, they apply more force than optimum with each pedal stroke.
    And because muscles can exert higher force much less often than lower
    force, these riders tire out sooner.

    Quoted message said:

    Those of
    us who started bicycling in early youth generally don't have knee
    problems. At least those with whom I rode, most of whom retired
    before age 50, were not suffering from bad knees.

    Perhaps not. As with all things medical, there are individual
    differences. And some of the posters here may, indeed, do well with low
    cadences.

    However, that's not to say that they wouldn't do better with a slightly
    higher cadence. The fact is, without reading or hearing about this
    matter, many (or most) new riders would never know to even experiment
    with a slightly lower gear. They wouldn't know if it helped them or not.

    I recall my earliest experiences with a 10 speed. I'd borrowed one to
    try out, and I was very skeptical of the need for so many gears. To
    "prove" they were useless, I rode it "all the way home" (seven miles) in
    its highest gear (probably 52-14) including some fairly steep climbs. I
    later bragged to my engineering buddies that indeed, there was no need
    for all those (lower) gears.

    It literally never dawned on me that people were actually riding these
    things further than seven miles! Clearly, I could not have done even 25
    miles in that gear; but by using all the gears appropriately, I could
    have. That's an extreme example, but it illustrates the principle.

    BTW, my understanding is that one of the things Chris Carmichael did for
    Lance Armstrong was to convince him to use lower gears. Supposedly it
    helped.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Now, there's no law that says anyone _must_ do this. You can swing
    a club or throw a ball as you like, too. But when you read about
    older guys who enjoy riding distances and hills that burn you out,
    you might wonder if they actually know something you don't.

    It's as good as an intimidated law. The derision riders get for
    admitting lower than "acceptable" cadences insure that these riders
    remain in the closet, and that isn't an insignificant number from what
    I observe in the hills around here.

    :-) You're saying you don't see many low cadence riders doing mountain
    grades, and you think it's because of intimidation?

    The explanation favored by Occam would be that, if they use low cadence,
    most people can't do mountain grades!

    --
    --------------------+
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com,
    replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.