General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Dumb Question (?) - Propane Torches

Started by zxcvbob · · Last activity · 174 posts · 2,975 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 January 2006
Last activity
24 January 2006
Original author
zxcvbob
Posts
174
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,975
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 174
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Mark Thorson said:

    I didn't say it was the best, and I certainly didn't
    "scramble" for it, whatever that means. Here's three more
    that mention "food grade propane" (do a text search to
    skip to the places where it is mentioned):

    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,066,350.WKU.&OS=PN/6,066,350&RS=PN/6,066,350

    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,361,814.WKU.&OS=PN/6,361,814&RS=PN/6,361,814

    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,610,343.WKU.&OS=PN/6,610,343&RS=PN/6,610,343

    I believe these references are talking about using the propane and
    butane as a solvent for food products; they're not actually using
    the propane as a fuel.

    I would thnk it's safe to use any propane, butane, or natural gas,
    scented or not, for carmelizing sugar.

    -sw

  2. Steve Wertz said:


    I believe these references are talking about using the propane
    and butane as a solvent for food products; they're not actually
    using the propane as a fuel.

    Dave seemed to be questioning whether there even
    was such a thing as "food grade propane".
    I think that question is completely settled.

    Quoted message said:

    I would thnk it's safe to use any propane, butane, or
    natural gas, scented or not, for carmelizing sugar.

    Note that a warning scent is not the only feature
    that distinguishes between a fuel-grade and food-grade
    product. Gases derived from petroleum may be
    contaminated with lightweight aromatic compounds
    such as napthalene ("aromatic" in the sense of
    having benzene-type ring systems, not necessarily
    anything with an odor). Many aromatics are
    carcinogens. With a propane that meets regulatory
    standards for a food-grade product, you can be
    sure that these contaminants are not present.

  3. Mark Thorson said:
    Quoted message said:

    At least one??? That one is so obscure that it is in Chinese,
    and appears to have something to do with someone tendering out
    a project. For all I know it could be the Chinese version of
    the Nigerian scam.

    Huh? It's accompanied by a full English translation.
    You do read English, right?

    Yes, I read English. Do you? Or is your use of language limited to entering words in Google searches and then text searches for the appearance of word combinations?
    If you are going to cite a web page to support something you calmed you really should read it to see if t has anything at all to do with what we were talking about.
    In case you had not noticed, none of the pages that you cited had anything at all to do with the use of propane torches for caramelizing sugar. For the benefit of
    those who didn't bother to check your link, here is a cut and paste of the English portion of it:

    Equipment Requirements:
    Equipment must use propane, butane or iso-butane as an edible oil solvent. We would initially be interested in three unit sizes:
    1.) a piloting unit that we could use in the lab with a capacity of about 50lbs.
    2.) a commercial unit with a capacity of about 30 tons
    3.) a commercial unit with a capacity of about 100 tons
    4.) We would prefer that all units to be stainless steel / food grade, but we
    would also be interested in units make of carbon steel.
    5.) We would be interested in receiving an immediate price quote in US$.
    6.) We presently have toll processing business that could be booked
    for these units as soon as we could get them up and running.
    7.) Is it possible to get some photographs of this equip. and some
    basics specifications as to size, weight and scale for each unit.
    Also space requirements for unit's operation and set up.
    8.) Can a standardized protocol be written in English both for the
    operation and maintenance of the units?
    9.) How many operators per shift are required to run a unit?
    10.)How skilled are the operators?
    11.)Does the unit fully desolventize the separated oil or meal during
    a desolventizing phase of the extraction cycle? If desolventizing
    does not occur in the unit itself, then what is the protocol for
    desolventizing after extraction.
    12.) Is there a unit now functioning in China that runs on propane (food grade) alone - not a mix of propane / butane or butane only.
    13.) We need a unit that can reliably run on odorless / food grade propane
    at ambient temperature and low pressure. What are the temperature and pressure ranges for this equipment?
    14.) The energy requirements for running the unit.
    15.) The type and kind of energy used by the unit
    16.) Does the unit price include a compressor? If so what type of compressor is specified?
    17.) How is heat introduced to the unit? Is a heating element such as a boiler inlcuded with the equip.
    and is it reflected in the price quote?
    18.) If the desolventizing phase of the extraction cycle is performed outside of the unit is equipment
    for same included for the set up / installation and is it included in the price.
    19.) Where in China is this equip. manufactured and where is the closest sea port for shipping same.

    Pray tell..... where does it say anything about using food grade propane for caramelizing?

    Quoted message said:


    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,066,350.WKU.&OS=PN/6,066,350&RS=PN/6,066,350

    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,361,814.WKU.&OS=PN/6,361,814&RS=PN/6,361,814

    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,610,343.WKU.&OS=PN/6,610,343&RS=PN/6,610,343

    Yes, these three versions of the same thing deal with the use of food grade propane as a solvent in the in the process of extracting cocoa fat from cocoa mass and has
    nothing to do with using food grade propane for caramelizing sugar. For crying out loud, if you are going to cite a web source to help prove your point you should at
    least read it and ensure that it has something to do with the issue you are discussing and not just the simple appearance of the words you used.

  4. Mark Thorson said:
    Steve Wertz said:


    I believe these references are talking about using the propane
    and butane as a solvent for food products; they're not actually
    using the propane as a fuel.

    Dave seemed to be questioning whether there even
    was such a thing as "food grade propane".
    I think that question is completely settled.

    No. This Dave was questioning where you came up with the nonsense
    about using food grade propane for caramelizing sugar. The OP had
    asked a legitimate question about using the type of propane torch
    available in hardware stores for caramelizing, and you replied
    "Food-grade propane is odourless. If it has an odour, don't use it
    for food." which is utter nonsense since nobody was talking about a
    process that involved eating the gas, just using it for heat.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I would thnk it's safe to use any propane, butane, or
    natural gas, scented or not, for carmelizing sugar.

    Note that a warning scent is not the only feature
    that distinguishes between a fuel-grade and food-grade
    product. Gases derived from petroleum may be
    contaminated with lightweight aromatic compounds
    such as napthalene ("aromatic" in the sense of
    having benzene-type ring systems, not necessarily
    anything with an odor). Many aromatics are
    carcinogens. With a propane that meets regulatory
    standards for a food-grade product, you can be
    sure that these contaminants are not present.

  5. Mark Thorson said:

    Note that a warning scent is not the only feature
    that distinguishes between a fuel-grade and food-grade
    product. Gases derived from petroleum may be
    contaminated with lightweight aromatic compounds
    such as napthalene ("aromatic" in the sense of
    having benzene-type ring systems, not necessarily
    anything with an odor). Many aromatics are
    carcinogens. With a propane that meets regulatory
    standards for a food-grade product, you can be
    sure that these contaminants are not present.

    Do you know of any health and safety codes that
    prohibit use of non food grade propane? Without
    that, this would be of no concern to me.

    When you breath exhaust fumes from a car,
    even at low concentrations when walking down the
    street, you're being exposed to carcinogens too.
    I don't know of a way to attain zero exposure
    to any and all carcinogens, which seems to
    be your criteria here.

    --
    Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Thorson said:
    Steve Wertz said:


    I believe these references are talking about using the propane
    and butane as a solvent for food products; they're not actually
    using the propane as a fuel.

    Dave seemed to be questioning whether there even
    was such a thing as "food grade propane".
    I think that question is completely settled.

    Quoted message said:

    I would thnk it's safe to use any propane, butane, or
    natural gas, scented or not, for carmelizing sugar.

    Note that a warning scent is not the only feature
    that distinguishes between a fuel-grade and food-grade
    product. Gases derived from petroleum may be
    contaminated with lightweight aromatic compounds
    such as napthalene ("aromatic" in the sense of
    having benzene-type ring systems, not necessarily
    anything with an odor). Many aromatics are
    carcinogens. With a propane that meets regulatory
    standards for a food-grade product, you can be
    sure that these contaminants are not present.

    And how much of those *flammable* odorants and impurities do you think
    make it through the 2500 F flame on the front of the torch and get stuck
    to the food?

    Isaac

  7. Dave Smith said:
    Mark Thorson said:
    ~patches~ said:


    Can I just use a regular run of the mill propane torch for browning?
    You know, the propane torches you can buy at the hardware or do I have
    to buy something special?

    Food-grade propane is odorless.
    If it has an odor, don't use it for food.

    WTF ?????
    Where the hell did you come up with this food grade propane stuff?

    Ain't ya ever heard of food-grade electricity?

  8. Mark Thorson said:
    ~patches~ said:

    Can I just use a regular run of the mill propane torch for browning?
    You know, the propane torches you can buy at the hardware or do I have
    to buy something special?

    Food-grade propane is odorless.
    If it has an odor, don't use it for food.

    Don't think there is such a thing. I think both propane and nat gas must
    include an odorant (usually methyl mercaptan).

  9. Dave Smith said:


    Mark Thorson said:

    Dave seemed to be questioning whether there even
    was such a thing as "food grade propane".
    I think that question is completely settled.

    No. This Dave was questioning where you came up with the nonsense
    about using food grade propane for caramelizing sugar.

    May I remind you of your earlier words.
    You know seem to be back-pedalling.

    Quoted message said:

    WTF ?????
    Where the hell did you come up with this food grade propane stuff?

    You also said this, which seemed to reject the
    evidence of a website for no better reason than
    you didn't scroll down to the English version
    of the text (as I had instructed):

    Quoted message said:

    At least one??? That one is so obscure that it is in Chinese,
    and appears to have something to do with someone tendering out
    a project. For all I know it could be the Chinese version of
    the Nigerian scam.

    I don't know what you meant by the "Nigerian scam"
    comment, but it sure seemed like you were rejecting
    the evidence of the website for reasons that had
    nothing to do with carmelizing sugar.

    You'll have to try better than that if you want
    to wiggle out of this one.

  10. Isaac Wingfield said:


    And how much of those *flammable* odorants and impurities
    do you think make it through the 2500 F flame on the front
    of the torch and get stuck to the food?

    Lots, especially the aromatics. Propane is
    a linear chain only three carbon atoms long.
    Combustion initiates from the ends, and
    propane is mostly end.

    Aromatics are rings (although they also may
    have stubs sticking out of the rings).
    They can burn in a flame, but they won't burn
    nearly so readily as propane. The optimal
    conditions for burning propane are not sufficient
    for efficient burning of aromatics.

    A flame front is not some magic thing that
    completely burns every flammable molecule that
    passes through it. If such were the case,
    it would not be possible to get soot from
    a gas flame. In fact, the opposite is true.
    The vast majority of all carbon black (lampblack),
    which is an industrial commodity manufactured
    in huge amounts for coloring ink, plastics,
    car tires, etc., comes from deposition of
    soot from gas flames.

  11. George said:


    Mark Thorson said:


    Food-grade propane is odorless.
    If it has an odor, don't use it for food.

    Don't think there is such a thing. I think both propane
    and nat gas must include an odorant (usually methyl mercaptan).

    Why don't you go to this page and search
    on "odorless":

    http://www.oilcn.com/Detail_Offer.aspx?id=14145

  12. Reg said:


    Do you know of any health and safety codes that
    prohibit use of non food grade propane? Without
    that, this would be of no concern to me.

    I've never heard of any codes specific to making
    creme brulee, if that's what you mean. It's such
    a specialty, that I wouldn't expect such codes
    to exist, even if there were a known hazard.

    Quoted message said:

    When you breath exhaust fumes from a car,
    even at low concentrations when walking down the
    street, you're being exposed to carcinogens too.
    I don't know of a way to attain zero exposure
    to any and all carcinogens, which seems to
    be your criteria here.

    I didn't say that. You're inventing a clearly
    absurd criterion, and using that to criticize me.

  13. Mark Thorson said:
    Quoted message said:

    No. This Dave was questioning where you came up with the nonsense
    about using food grade propane for caramelizing sugar.

    May I remind you of your earlier words.
    You know seem to be back-pedalling.

    Quoted message said:

    WTF ?????
    Where the hell did you come up with this food grade propane stuff?

    Yes of course. You had warned the OP not to use propane for food unless
    it us food grade. The OP had asked about using a regular propane torch
    or if a special one was needed.

    Quoted message said:


    You also said this, which seemed to reject the
    evidence of a website for no better reason than
    you didn't scroll down to the English version
    of the text (as I had instructed):

    What a curiously asinine suggestion that is. You have tried to
    discredit by rebuttal with the suggestion that I can not read. That was
    after I made a comment to the effect that it appeared to have something
    to do with someone trying to tender out a project. Since I my system
    does not recognize Chinese characters and I do not read Chinese, it is
    pretty lame on your part to suggest that I cannot read English. To make
    matters worse, when I went back and quoted the English portion of the
    cited page, you stupidly question whether I had followed your
    instructions. We duh.... how stupid can you be to suggest that.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    At least one??? That one is so obscure that it is in Chinese,
    and appears to have something to do with someone tendering out
    a project. For all I know it could be the Chinese version of
    the Nigerian scam.

    I don't know what you meant by the "Nigerian scam"
    comment, but it sure seemed like you were rejecting
    the evidence of the website for reasons that had
    nothing to do with carmelizing sugar.

    I am sorry if the reference to the Nigerian scam went over your head. I
    find it ironic that you would accuse me of not following your
    instructions to scroll to the English text, or to be unable to read
    English in light of the fact that I cut and pasted the entire English
    text on that site. You're so damned smart maybe you can tell us what
    the hell the guy is asking about. It's got nothing to with using a
    propane torch to caramelize sugar.

    Quoted message said:

    You'll have to try better than that if you want
    to wiggle out of this one.

    There is nothing for me to wiggle out of. I wasn't the one who suggested
    that you had to use food grade propane for the purposes of the OP.
    Accusing me of not being able to read your obscure and irrelevant web
    sites isn't going to help you much.

  14. Dave Smith said:


    What a curiously asinine suggestion that is. You have tried to
    discredit by rebuttal with the suggestion that I can not read. That was
    after I made a comment to the effect that it appeared to have something
    to do with someone trying to tender out a project. Since I my system
    does not recognize Chinese characters and I do not read Chinese, it is
    pretty lame on your part to suggest that I cannot read English. To make
    matters worse, when I went back and quoted the English portion of the
    cited page, you stupidly question whether I had followed your
    instructions. We duh.... how stupid can you be to suggest that.

    Dave, you obviously have some sort of emotional issues.
    It's wrong for you to displace your anger from whatever
    source -- perhaps those women at the bake sale -- on
    to me. You need psychiatric help.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    At least one??? That one is so obscure that it is in Chinese,
    and appears to have something to do with someone tendering out
    a project. For all I know it could be the Chinese version of
    the Nigerian scam.

    I don't know what you meant by the "Nigerian scam"
    comment, but it sure seemed like you were rejecting
    the evidence of the website for reasons that had
    nothing to do with carmelizing sugar.

    I am sorry if the reference to the Nigerian scam went over your head.

    If you have a rational explanation for your comment,
    let's hear it. I suspect not.

  15. On Sun 08 Jan 2006 12:49:24p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mark
    Thorson?

    Quoted message said:
    Dave Smith said:


    What a curiously asinine suggestion that is. You have tried to
    discredit by rebuttal with the suggestion that I can not read. That was
    after I made a comment to the effect that it appeared to have something
    to do with someone trying to tender out a project. Since I my system
    does not recognize Chinese characters and I do not read Chinese, it is
    pretty lame on your part to suggest that I cannot read English. To make
    matters worse, when I went back and quoted the English portion of the
    cited page, you stupidly question whether I had followed your
    instructions. We duh.... how stupid can you be to suggest that.

    Dave, you obviously have some sort of emotional issues.
    It's wrong for you to displace your anger from whatever
    source -- perhaps those women at the bake sale -- on
    to me. You need psychiatric help.

    Precisely why he resides in my killfile.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > At least one??? That one is so obscure that it is in Chinese, and
    > appears to have something to do with someone tendering out a
    > project. For all I know it could be the Chinese version of the
    > Nigerian scam.

    I don't know what you meant by the "Nigerian scam"
    comment, but it sure seemed like you were rejecting
    the evidence of the website for reasons that had nothing to do with
    carmelizing sugar.

    I am sorry if the reference to the Nigerian scam went over your head.

    If you have a rational explanation for your comment,
    let's hear it. I suspect not.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    __________________________________________________________________
    And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Thorson said:

    Aromatics are rings (although they also may
    have stubs sticking out of the rings).
    They can burn in a flame, but they won't burn
    nearly so readily as propane. The optimal
    conditions for burning propane are not sufficient
    for efficient burning of aromatics.

    I would argue with that...

    Most aromatics (afaik) are Esters.
    Esters are alcohol based so have a lower burning point
    than most hydrocarbons.

    I may be wrong, but...

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Thorson said:

    The vast majority of all carbon black (lampblack),
    which is an industrial commodity manufactured
    in huge amounts for coloring ink, plastics,
    car tires, etc., comes from deposition of
    soot from gas flames.

    I NEVER get soot on anything I use a propane torch on!
    IMHO it does indeed burn much, much hotter than your average gas flame.

    Soot is produced by _incomplete_ burning due to the flame not being hot
    enough. The propane torch pretty much solves that with sufficient oxygen
    mix. Now if the flame is being used too low of a setting, that would be
    different.

    I run it as hot and high as I can get it. ;-)
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  18. I think the overall point here is that, no, you really do not need a
    special torch.

    By far, the vast majority of cooks just use the torches and fuel from
    the hardware store...

    We are not all getting stomach cancer are we? ;-)

    Still waiting for Bob Pastorio to put his 2 cents in here on this one,
    and Sheldon.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  19. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:


    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Thorson said:

    Aromatics are rings (although they also may
    have stubs sticking out of the rings).
    They can burn in a flame, but they won't burn
    nearly so readily as propane. The optimal
    conditions for burning propane are not sufficient
    for efficient burning of aromatics.

    I would argue with that...

    Most aromatics (afaik) are Esters.

    I was referring to the chemical use of the term
    "aromatics", i.e. molecules with benzene-like
    rings in them. I wasn't referring to molecules
    that necessarily have odor.

    Quoted message said:

    Esters are alcohol based so have a lower burning
    point than most hydrocarbons.

    Esters are like carboxylic acids, but with
    a carbon-based group substituted at the
    site of the active (acid) hydrogen. Esters
    may be formed by reacting a carboxylic acid
    with an alcohol, but do not necessarily have
    any of the characteristics of either.
    For example, many waxes are esters.

    Esters may contain benzene-like rings, but
    most do not.

    Quoted message said:

    I may be wrong, but...

    Indeed.

  20. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:


    I NEVER get soot on anything I use a propane torch on! IMHO it
    does indeed burn much, much hotter than your average gas flame.

    Soot is produced by _incomplete_ burning due to the flame not
    being hot enough. The propane torch pretty much solves that with
    sufficient oxygen mix. Now if the flame is being used too low
    of a setting, that would be different.

    Even if it produces much less, there will still be
    some incompletely combusted by-products. This is
    especially concerning for compounds like napthalene
    and anthracene which are common in fossil fuels and
    while not carcinogenic in their unmodified forms,
    become intensely carcinogenic in some of their
    modified forms which can occur from the chemistry
    in a flame.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.