Dumb Question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Greg Chernoff, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. Just wondering about the range of shimano components...xtr, xt, lx, deore...etc...

    can anyone put these in order for me as I don't really know what is better thab what!

    thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Greg Chernoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just wondering about the range of shimano components...xtr, xt, lx, deore...etc...
    >
    > can anyone put these in order for me as I don't really know what is better thab what!

    The only reason it's a "dumb" question is because you answered it! You got the order, from highest
    zoot to lower...

    Bill "XTR snob" S.

  3. Greg Chernoff wrote:
    > Just wondering about the range of shimano components...xtr, xt, lx, deore...etc...
    >
    > can anyone put these in order for me as I don't really know what is better thab what!
    >
    > thanks!

    You've got the right order so far from top-bottom.

    It goes XTR, XT, LX, DEORE (used to be STX-RC), Alivio, and then altus and other general shite.

    Jon Bond

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 01:53:53 GMT, "Greg Chernoff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just wondering about the range of shimano components...xtr, xt, lx, deore...etc...
    >
    >can anyone put these in order for me as I don't really know what is better thab what!
    >
    >thanks!

    You got the order right if you're talking about price. Depending on your needs you may not want to
    go XTR/Top of the line.

    Generally speaking XTR components save a couple of ounces here and there,....BUT XT or LX will
    probably be more durable and last longer.

    XTR cranks have larger chain rings than XT or LX. You may not want to push those larger
    rings...think about your style and what you're used to. Don't blindly get XTR thinking its the best.
    The lower priced model may be better for you.

    Make a wise decision.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  5. LX is a nice place for most riders. I would not go lower than that. Above that the price goes up
    fairly quickly and most ordinary riders are not likely to notice any difference.

    --
    Alan C. Acock [email protected] [email protected] http://www.orst.edu/dept/hdfs/acock/ "Greg
    Chernoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just wondering about the range of shimano components...xtr, xt, lx, deore...etc...
    >
    > can anyone put these in order for me as I don't really know what is better thab what!
    >
    > thanks!

  6. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Greg Chernoff <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just wondering about the range of shimano components...xtr, xt, lx, deore...etc...
    >
    > can anyone put these in order for me as I don't really know what is better thab what!
    >
    > thanks!

  7. Jon Bond says:

    > Alivio, and then altus
    > and other general shite.

    Been riding an Alivio/Acera mix for 2 years (it's what came on the bike) with no problems yet. Guess
    I'm not riding hard enough...... ;-) Steve

  8. Stephen Baker wrote:
    > Jon Bond says:
    >

    >>Alivio, and then altus and other general shite.
    >

    > Been riding an Alivio/Acera mix for 2 years (it's what came on the bike) with no problems yet.
    > Guess I'm not riding hard enough...... ;-) Steve

    I broke my alivio within a year... snapped front derailleur, (almost) seized bottom bracket, and I
    think the chainrings were getting a bit wonky too.

    Jon Bond and I'm only an elevated skinny!

  9. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 23:17:45 -0500, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >used to.

    should be "use to" The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is,
    the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  10. Twohat

    Twohat Guest

    No it shouldn't.

    > On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 23:17:45 -0500, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >used to.
    >
    > should be "use to" The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is,
    > the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

  11. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Jon Bond you forgot one Acera and Acera X. Yes Trek uses Acera derailleurs fnt. and rear on
    their 4300.

    Fire up MTB 03

  12. [email protected] wrote:
    > Jon Bond you forgot one Acera and Acera X. Yes Trek uses Acera derailleurs fnt.
    > and rear on their 4300.
    >
    > Fire up MTB 03

    no, I got it: "And other general shite"

    Jon Bond

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jon Bond you forgot one Acera and Acera X. Yes Trek uses Acera derailleurs fnt. and rear on
    > their 4300.

    Quite forgetable, they are.

    JD

  14. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > Jon Bond says:
    >
    > > Alivio, and then altus
    > > and other general shite.
    >
    > Been riding an Alivio/Acera mix for 2 years (it's what came on the bike)
    with
    > no problems yet. Guess I'm not riding hard enough...... ;-) Steve

    The Alivio/Acera mix on my old bike are still going well. Cassette and chainrings and chain are all
    worn out but still working pretty good. Shifting is and was always, ummm,... less than
    spectacular... but I was happy with the performance of those components at that price. While the
    better components are... better, some of the lower end stuff isn't _complete_ shite in my book.

    Westie

  15. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Westie wrote:
    > "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Jon Bond says:
    >>

    >>>Alivio, and then altus and other general shite.
    >>
    >>Been riding an Alivio/Acera mix for 2 years (it's what came on the bike)
    >
    > with
    >
    >>no problems yet. Guess I'm not riding hard enough...... ;-) Steve
    >

    > The Alivio/Acera mix on my old bike are still going well. Cassette and chainrings and chain are
    > all worn out but still working pretty good. Shifting is and was always, ummm,... less than
    > spectacular... but I was happy with the performance of those components at that price. While the
    > better components are... better, some of the lower end stuff isn't _complete_ shite in my book.
    >
    > Westie

    I had Alivio on an older bike and it worked quite well. I suspect that the primary difference is
    weight and finish.

    David

  16. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    > Jon Bond says:
    >
    > >I broke my alivio within a year... snapped front derailleur, (almost) seized bottom bracket, and
    > >I think the chainrings were getting a bit wonky too.
    > >
    > >Jon Bond and I'm only an elevated skinny!
    >
    > Yeah, but you treat your kit badly - "everyone" knows that! Typical punk kids...... ;-))
    >
    > Steve "gotta ride harder, gotta break stuff"

    I had an alivio chainset years ago, and I think in terms of the mileage they did they were my
    longest lived chainrings ever (heavy riveted steel jobs). Only problem was that the crank snapped
    though.....and that hurt.

    Andy Chequer