Dumb Questions from a prospective rider

David

Guest
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:38:13 -0600, Wes Fujii wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to looking at this newsgroup. I don't have a recumbent but have
> been thinking about getting one. My goal is to use it for my daily 6 mile
> (one way) commute to work.

<snippage>

> 4) How stable is a recumbent on snow and ice? Currently, I'm planning to
> pedal year around (or as much as I can).
>
> Thank you for your insights!
>
> Wes in Boise, Idaho

I ride my Tour Easy to work year round. When winter comes I trade the
smooth summer tires for a knobby in front and studded tire on the rear &
pedal more conservatively. On fresh powder snow it isn't bad up to about
3 inches deep but the more densly packed and rutted the snow is the harder
it is to control. I usually try to avoid those areas or carefully ride
through them if I have to. And then there is the salt,sand mess you will
get on your bike that the road crews so generously put on the road. I hose
the bike off after I get home and store it in a heated basement.

Hi, I'm new to looking at this newsgroup. I don't have a recumbent but have
been thinking about getting one. My goal is to use it for my daily 6 mile
(one way) commute to work. Currently, I'm riding my Mtn bike to work and
that is working for my long term goal of becoming less dependant on fossil
fuels. I thought that moving to a recumbent might be a bit more gentle on
my back and shoulders that seem to be sore at the end of my rides. As a
result of my information search, I have the following questions. I
apologize in advance because these questions are probably asked over and
over by newbies in this newsgroup...

1) Some recumbents have large diameter rear tires. I suspect that this
results in more efficient rolling by reducing rolling resistance. Is this
really the case and is it noticeable?

2) SWB bikes seem to be what I probably need for my commute. With the
pedals up in the air, is it imperative to use devices to hold your feet onto
the pedals? I suspect that slipping off of the pedals can have very bad
consequences. My preference is to not have to wear special shoes that I
have to switch out of, once I get to work. I use SPD pedals on my trail Mtn
bike so I do understand their worth (and also their inconveniences).
Currently, I use regular toe clips for my commute bicycle so I can wear my
work shoes while riding. I read some opinions that said clipless pedals are
the only way to go for recumbents. Is this the consensus of this group?

3) Is a LWB bike less likely to require the use of clipless pedals?

4) How stable is a recumbent on snow and ice? Currently, I'm planning to
pedal year around (or as much as I can).

Thank you for your insights!

Wes in Boise, Idaho

"Wes Fujii" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 1) Some recumbents have large diameter rear tires. I suspect that this
> results in more efficient rolling by reducing rolling resistance. Is this
> really the case and is it noticeable?

I'll leave this to the science guys, but imexperience its not noticable.

> 2) SWB bikes seem to be what I probably need for my commute. With the
> pedals up in the air, is it imperative to use devices to hold your feet

onto
> the pedals? I suspect that slipping off of the pedals can have very bad
> consequences. My preference is to not have to wear special shoes that I
> have to switch out of, once I get to work. I use SPD pedals on my trail

Mtn
> bike so I do understand their worth (and also their inconveniences).
> Currently, I use regular toe clips for my commute bicycle so I can wear my
> work shoes while riding. I read some opinions that said clipless pedals

are
> the only way to go for recumbents. Is this the consensus of this group?

I think clipless pedals are the only way to go PERIOD, however you can (and
people do) ride on platforms on SWB's all the time.

> 3) Is a LWB bike less likely to require the use of clipless pedals?

No. The same.

> 4) How stable is a recumbent on snow and ice? Currently, I'm planning to
> pedal year around (or as much as I can).

ooh, not very. Consider a trike, or ride your MTB in winter months.

First, there are no dumb questions, but lots of curious fools :)

> 1) Some recumbents have large diameter rear tires. I suspect that this
> results in more efficient rolling by reducing rolling resistance. Is this
> really the case and is it noticeable?

Larger tires are easier to come by for quick replacement. Two tires of the
same diameter only require one size spare tube onboard for on-the-road repair.

Rolling resistance? is best left to the various religious factions.

I think a larger tire is easier on the bumps.

> 2) SWB bikes seem to be what I probably need for my commute. With the
> pedals up in the air, is it imperative to use devices to hold your feet onto
> the pedals? I suspect that slipping off of the pedals can have very bad
> consequences. My preference is to not have to wear special shoes that I
> have to switch out of, once I get to work. I use SPD pedals on my trail Mtn
> bike so I do understand their worth (and also their inconveniences).
> Currently, I use regular toe clips for my commute bicycle so I can wear my
> work shoes while riding. I read some opinions that said clipless pedals are
> the only way to go for recumbents. Is this the consensus of this group?

SWB vs CLWB vs LWB another religious question. I ride a Burley Limbo in the
Long configuration - possibly measures out to CLWB. I use Toe-Clips with
no problem. I had a Bike-E with the same success. Only once or twice have
I come out of the clips. I find that being able to pedal in any shoe a
definite advantage.

> 4) How stable is a recumbent on snow and ice? Currently, I'm planning to
> pedal year around (or as much as I can).

I have gone down twice because if slippery pavement. On a 'bent you go down
quite fast - you're already only a foot or so from the ground. being so close
you have less time to react. I feel that since you don't have the time to
react and that fact that sitting you are not in the standing position that
gives you the possibility of "Body English" so you are not in a position to
avoid going down.

Good luck on your choice.

mike
riding a Limbo - the Official Bike of OhMyWoodness.com

I highly recommend EggBeaters for clipping in.
When I first was going to get my bike, which is a Burley HepCat and I love it, I got excellent information not only from my LBS, but also this newsgroup and recumbentcyclistnews.com. Which reminds me - I need to subscribe. Anyway, good luck! You'll love it! :)

"Wes Fujii" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I'm new to looking at this newsgroup. I don't have a recumbent but

have
> been thinking about getting one. My goal is to use it for my daily 6 mile
> (one way) commute to work. Currently, I'm riding my Mtn bike to work and
> that is working for my long term goal of becoming less dependant on fossil
> fuels. I thought that moving to a recumbent might be a bit more gentle on
> my back and shoulders that seem to be sore at the end of my rides. As a
> result of my information search, I have the following questions. I
> apologize in advance because these questions are probably asked over and
> over by newbies in this newsgroup...
>
> 1) Some recumbents have large diameter rear tires. I suspect that this
> results in more efficient rolling by reducing rolling resistance. Is this
> really the case and is it noticeable?

Yes it is the case but you may not really notice it

> 2) SWB bikes seem to be what I probably need for my commute. With the
> pedals up in the air, is it imperative to use devices to hold your feet

onto
> the pedals? I suspect that slipping off of the pedals can have very bad
> consequences. My preference is to not have to wear special shoes that I
> have to switch out of, once I get to work. I use SPD pedals on my trail

Mtn
> bike so I do understand their worth (and also their inconveniences).
> Currently, I use regular toe clips for my commute bicycle so I can wear my
> work shoes while riding. I read some opinions that said clipless pedals

are
> the only way to go for recumbents. Is this the consensus of this group?

cleats aren't required but I wouldn't ride without them due to the increase
in power you can create

> 3) Is a LWB bike less likely to require the use of clipless pedals?

No

> 4) How stable is a recumbent on snow and ice? Currently, I'm planning to
> pedal year around (or as much as I can).

Not very, they also aren't stable on mud (at least mine isn't)

"Wes Fujii" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> 2) SWB bikes seem to be what I probably need for my commute. With the
> pedals up in the air, is it imperative to use devices to hold your feet

onto
> the pedals? I suspect that slipping off of the pedals can have very bad
> consequences. My preference is to not have to wear special shoes that I
> have to switch out of, once I get to work. I use SPD pedals on my trail

Mtn
> bike so I do understand their worth (and also their inconveniences).
> Currently, I use regular toe clips for my commute bicycle so I can wear my
> work shoes while riding. I read some opinions that said clipless pedals

are
> the only way to go for recumbents. Is this the consensus of this group?

I can't answer your other questions, but I'm riding a SWB with regular
pedals and no problems with slippage. Doesn't matter if I'm wearing my
walking shoes or mountain bike shoes. In fact, my only complaint about my
current pedals is that I have to physically lift my foot off the pedal to
reposition it -- I can't just slide my foot around like on my cheapy diamond
frame pedals. :)

Maybe other SWB's are different, but with my RANS V-Rex, I can't see that
there could be any more slippage on the pedals than with the same pedal on a
diamond frame. Instead of gravity holding me in place, the back of the seat
is holding me in place. Still plenty of force attaching my feet to the
pedal.

Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)

Hi,
It would help a little to know how far the commute is.
If it's under 7 miles or so, the cruising speed of the bike is pretty much
immaterial. In this case it would be tough to beat an EZ 1 or EZ Sport.
You sit up a little more, the handling is pretty benign and, well, these
seem really good tools for the job.

I commute on a low bottom bracket LWB. Have SPD pedals with cleats on one
side and a platform on the other. Almost never use the cleats en-route
work (3-10 miles depending on my mood).

At low temperatures a LWB is cheaper to put a fairing on. These are nice
when the temps are under 30.

Regardless, fenders are all but mandatory.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:38:13 -0600, Wes Fujii wrote:

> 3) Is a LWB bike less likely to require the use of clipless pedals?

My long wheelbase recumbent has a relatively low bottom
bracket and ordinary platform pedals. I ride in the same
6 inch boots I normally wear without. My
feet don't slip off the pedals.

As another poster mentioned, it's more difficult to reposition
my feet on the pedals while riding the 'bent than it is on an upright
bike.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Howard wrote:

> Hi,
> It would help a little to know how far the commute is....

From the original post in this thread:

"My goal is to use it for my daily 6 mile (one way) commute to work."

--
Tom Sherman – Curmudgeon and Pedant

"Wes Fujii" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I'm new to looking at this newsgroup. I don't have a recumbent but

have
> been thinking about getting one.

Wow, thanks for all of the really great comments! I didn't expect to see so
many when I logged on this morning...

I think I'll keep with my SWB plans and try it without cleats for starters.
I have been scoping out different routes to work in the mornings and have
decided that the SWB maneuverability will work with my preferred route,
while there are a couple of turns through a narrow alley that won't allow a
LWB to go through. My current Mtn bike commute route to work has me jumping
curbs and such, so I'll be taking a slightly different route with the
recumbent.

The rest of the route is on surface streets and about half is painted with
bike lanes. None of my route is on a high traffic, high speed highway.
Most of it goes through residential neighborhoods and past schools (where
drivers have to go slow and are watchful, anyway).

I'll probably stay with the Mtn bike in the wintertime, and have been
thinking about studded tires, lately.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments and pointers.

Best regards,

Wes in Boise

> Howard wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > It would help a little to know how far the commute is....

> From the original post in this thread:
>
> "My goal is to use it for my daily 6 mile (one way) commute to work."

My wife uses her Tour Easy for her 4 mile commute all year round. She
generally wears street clothes and street shoes- she has Shimano
PD-M324 pedals, which are SPD on one side and a rat trap cage on the
other.

Jeff