Dumb Schwinn question

vey

Guest
When I was in high school I saved my money for two years to buy a
Varsity. It cost $109. I remember the exact amount because it took so
long to save for it. I think I bought it around 1971. The dealer was in
a "big" city 30 miles away and my dad bought it for me and brought it home.

I guess I had it about a month or so and I got a flat tire. I had fixed
many flats by the time I was 14, in addition to changing bearings and
other minor work, so I confidently patched the tube, but when I went to
remount the tire, I couldn't get it right. No matter what I did, there
was always a short section of the bead that rolled in off the rim and
this created a flat spot. Before you say it, I had not bought a new tire
and the 1.75 & 1.3/4" thing doesn't apply.

I spent hours and hours trying to get the tire to seat properly and I
never could. There was no one around to ask for help. I finally asked my
father to go by the Schwinn dealer and ask why I was having so much
trouble. He told me that they laughed like hell when he asked and said
they knew why I was having so much trouble, and they would be happy to
reseat the tire for $15.

I told my dad I would be happy to ride with a flat spot forever before I
paid those assholes a dime to "fix" something so simple. I also swore I
would never own another Schwinn. And I did both.

I have since fixed many flats on many tires and never had any trouble
remounting the tire. What the hell was Schwinn doing back then to cause
me so much trouble?

vey wrote:
> When I was in high school I saved my money for two years to buy a
> Varsity. It cost $109. I remember the exact amount because it took so
> long to save for it. I think I bought it around 1971. The dealer was in
> a "big" city 30 miles away and my dad bought it for me and brought it home.
>
> I guess I had it about a month or so and I got a flat tire. I had fixed
> many flats by the time I was 14, in addition to changing bearings and
> other minor work, so I confidently patched the tube, but when I went to
> remount the tire, I couldn't get it right. No matter what I did, there
> was always a short section of the bead that rolled in off the rim and
> this created a flat spot. Before you say it, I had not bought a new tire
> and the 1.75 & 1.3/4" thing doesn't apply.
>
> I spent hours and hours trying to get the tire to seat properly and I
> never could. There was no one around to ask for help. I finally asked my
> father to go by the Schwinn dealer and ask why I was having so much
> trouble. He told me that they laughed like hell when he asked and said
> they knew why I was having so much trouble, and they would be happy to
> reseat the tire for $15.
>
> I told my dad I would be happy to ride with a flat spot forever before I
> paid those assholes a dime to "fix" something so simple. I also swore I
> would never own another Schwinn. And I did both.
>
> I have since fixed many flats on many tires and never had any trouble
> remounting the tire. What the hell was Schwinn doing back then to cause
> me so much trouble?

It was not you or your skills particularly.

I worked for a Schwinn dealer then. The tires were awful but the rims
were worse. Some were large and some were small. A few were nearly
round! New out of the carton tire blowoffs and mighty tire seating
struggles were a daily occurrence. We cheered the arrival of the
imported "Schwinn World" to replace the Chicago bikes because, as
assemblers, our work was quicker and less painful!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Nov 18, 7:34 pm, vey <[email protected]> wrote:
> When I was in high school I saved my money for two years to buy a
> Varsity. It cost $109. I remember the exact amount because it took so
> long to save for it. I think I bought it around 1971. The dealer was in
> a "big" city 30 miles away and my dad bought it for me and brought it home.
>
> I guess I had it about a month or so and I got a flat tire. I had fixed
> many flats by the time I was 14, in addition to changing bearings and
> other minor work, so I confidently patched the tube, but when I went to
> remount the tire, I couldn't get it right. No matter what I did, there
> was always a short section of the bead that rolled in off the rim and
> this created a flat spot. Before you say it, I had not bought a new tire
> and the 1.75 & 1.3/4" thing doesn't apply.
>
> I spent hours and hours trying to get the tire to seat properly and I
> never could. There was no one around to ask for help. I finally asked my
> father to go by the Schwinn dealer and ask why I was having so much
> trouble. He told me that they laughed like hell when he asked and said
> they knew why I was having so much trouble, and they would be happy to
> reseat the tire for $15.
>
> I told my dad I would be happy to ride with a flat spot forever before I
> paid those assholes a dime to "fix" something so simple. I also swore I
> would never own another Schwinn. And I did both.
>
> I have since fixed many flats on many tires and never had any trouble
> remounting the tire. What the hell was Schwinn doing back then to cause
> me so much trouble?

I worked at a Schwinn shop 73-74 and then again in the late 70's. We
sold boatloads of those Varsity's. It was a tank of a bike but it
could pretty much take what any tenage boy could throw at it. It was
common practice to keep a bottle of soapy water and a brush at hand to
help seat the tires. I never knew if it was the tires or the steel
rims that were the problem. We would also lock the tire in a vice
(shop rags to protect the tire) and lean the wheel over to help seat a
tire. $15.00 was a lot of money back in '71. I think we charged closer
to $5 to fix a flat and I think that included the tube. I think you
were treated badly. Our shop would have done that for free on such a
new bike.

Steve

Steve

Stevie wrote:

> I worked at a Schwinn shop 73-74 and then again in the late 70's. We
> sold boatloads of those Varsity's. It was a tank of a bike but it
> could pretty much take what any tenage boy could throw at it.

That was the closest thing to a "racer" one could get around here. Ten
speeds, ooo-lah,lah. Only other choice was to buy something from France
or Germany and have it shipped in. That actually was not a bad deal
since the dollar wasn't floating and was still worth a little something.

Fourteen-year-old boys can be very resourceful, so I looked into it. The
price was right and shipping it to NYC wasn't very expensive, but the
deal killer was the rail freight from NYC to me in Florida -- a jaw
dropping $100. Trucks wouldn't would do LTL and it was too big for UPS
or USPO.

It was
> common practice to keep a bottle of soapy water and a brush at hand to
> help seat the tires. I never knew if it was the tires or the steel
> rims that were the problem. We would also lock the tire in a vice
> (shop rags to protect the tire) and lean the wheel over to help seat a
> tire. $15.00 was a lot of money back in '71. I think we charged closer
> to $5 to fix a flat and I think that included the tube. I think you
> were treated badly. Our shop would have done that for free on such a
> new bike.

I thought $15 was highway robbery. They were the only LBS in town. Most
people bought bikes at Wards or Sears.