dumb training question-does anyone ever feel sick after training?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Heather Halvors, Mar 2, 2003.

  1. i know that training questions are a nono, but there isn't anyone i know in rl that i can
    ask, sorry.

    i like to train 5-7 hours on saturday, and on sunday a lot of the time i feel kind of crappy- a
    cross between a hangover and a sore throat maybe, with occasional dizzy spells. i still go out on
    sunday for a few hours, but i don't know if that's a good idea.

    how can i not feel sick? i'm not the best at eating and drinking after i get home, if that has
    anything to do with it? usually i pass out on the couch while my boyfriend watches crappy old tv
    shows. i work during the week, so i'd like to be able to have two good days in a row on the
    weekend...does anyone know what i'm talking about?

    heather

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Ummm..how much do you train the rest of the week? What's your training schedule? What's your general
    level of fitness?

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > i know that training questions are a nono, but there isn't anyone i know in rl that i can
    > ask, sorry.
    >
    > i like to train 5-7 hours on saturday, and on sunday a lot of the time i feel kind of crappy- a
    > cross between a hangover and a sore throat maybe, with occasional dizzy spells. i still go out on
    > sunday for a few hours, but i don't know if that's a good idea.
    >
    > how can i not feel sick? i'm not the best at eating and drinking after i get home, if that has
    > anything to do with it? usually i pass out on the couch while my boyfriend watches crappy old tv
    > shows. i work during the week, so i'd like to be able to have two good days in a row on the
    > weekend...does anyone know what i'm talking about?
    >
    > heather

  3. Sparhawk

    Sparhawk Guest

    On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:21:39 GMT, heather halvorson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >i know that training questions are a nono, but there isn't anyone i know in rl that i can
    >ask, sorry.
    >
    >i like to train 5-7 hours on saturday, and on sunday a lot of the time i feel kind of crappy- a
    >cross between a hangover and a sore throat maybe, with occasional dizzy spells. i still go out on
    >sunday for a few hours, but i don't know if that's a good idea.
    >
    >how can i not feel sick? i'm not the best at eating and drinking after i get home, if that has
    >anything to do with it? usually i pass out on the couch while my boyfriend watches crappy old tv
    >shows. i work during the week, so i'd like to be able to have two good days in a row on the
    >weekend...does anyone know what i'm talking about?
    >
    >heather

    I do. It's called "over training" but that is not really descriptive of the problem.

    Your body and mind have not adapted to the stress that you are putting on them and they must adapt
    before you restress them.

    So you need to workout during the week for maybe an hour a day and reduce your weekend training to
    about the same until you feel better.

    If you continue doing what you are doing you will not get fitter but less fit and perhaps sick.

    Give yourself a chance to adapt before working harder.

    Sparhawk

  4. "S. Anderson" wrote:

    > Ummm..how much do you train the rest of the week? What's your training schedule?

    right now, perfect week would be something like 4 hours weds (flat), 6 hours saturday (flat), 2-3
    hours sunday (hilly).

    i've been slightly injured the last couple of weeks so i've been slacking.

    >What's your general level of fitness?

    let's not go there..

    heather

  5. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Well, Sparhawk has probably hit the proverbial nail on the head. I think, depending on what your
    intentions are, you need to do a little research into a more regulated training schedule. You are
    basically exhausting your body during your workouts, which are probably too strenuous for your
    fitness level, and are not restoring your body's health with proper nutrition and rest. You could
    see a cycling coach and get a better idea of what you should be doing. I'd hate to suggest too much
    not knowing your personal fitness level, your time availability and my general ineptness at being a
    coach! However, I personally try for something like Mon. rest, Tues. 1.5 hours flat, Wed. 1 hour
    mixed, Thur. 1.5 hours mixed, Fri. 30-45mins easy, Sat. 2-3 hours (race or hard ride) and Sun. 1
    hour easy or nothing (I crash on the couch and watch crappy tv shows...). I'm not much of a
    nutrition guy, but I try to be sensible..when I'm hungry, I eat and try to be healthy in what I eat.
    I never feel overtrained or sick from exercise. Those dizzy spells are a message from your body that
    something isn't quite right and you should pay attention to those messages and it will improve your
    health. You're probably suffering muscle pulls and tendonitis as well, right? Try to get a more
    balanced schedule. I have the same problems with work but you need to fit something in. It doesn't
    have to be an epic..just do 30-45mins of constant AEROBIC exercise each day and you'll be a lot more
    fit and a lot healthier. A regular brisk walk for 45mins each day is better than a 5 hour
    death-march on Sat. and nothing else.

    HTH,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "S. Anderson" wrote:
    > >
    > > Ummm..how much do you train the rest of the week? What's your training schedule?
    >
    > right now, perfect week would be something like 4 hours weds (flat), 6 hours saturday (flat), 2-3
    > hours sunday (hilly).
    >
    > i've been slightly injured the last couple of weeks so i've been slacking.
    >

    > >What's your general level of fitness?
    >
    > let's not go there..
    >
    > heather

  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 3/2/03 7:21 PM, in article [email protected], "heather halvorson"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > i know that training questions are a nono, but there isn't anyone i know in rl that i can
    > ask, sorry.
    >
    > i like to train 5-7 hours on saturday, and on sunday a lot of the time i feel kind of crappy- a
    > cross between a hangover and a sore throat maybe, with occasional dizzy spells. i still go out on
    > sunday for a few hours, but i don't know if that's a good idea.
    >
    > how can i not feel sick? i'm not the best at eating and drinking after i get home, if that has
    > anything to do with it?

    It most likely does...

    usually i pass out
    > on the couch while my boyfriend watches crappy old tv shows.

    That¹s the best time to ask for a post ride massage.

    i work
    > during the week, so i'd like to be able to have two good days in a row on the weekend...does
    > anyone know what i'm talking about?
    >
    > heather

    Heather,

    I am assuming u are asking a legitimate question and not a troll. Considering everything is equal.
    (not person specific health maladies) It sounds like it is induced by lack of liquids (possible
    dehydration symptoms) The first thing I do when I get home after a long ride is drink a 32 ounce
    bottle of diluted Gatorade. Whatever you choose rehydration is very important! Your 'glycogen
    replenishment" window is supposed to be within 2 hours after you stop exercising. Most cyclists use
    that time to rehydrate and.............eat, eat, etc......

    Steve

  7. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote

    > how can i not feel sick? i'm not the best at eating and drinking after i get home, if that has
    > anything to do with it? usually i pass out on the couch while my boyfriend watches crappy old tv
    > shows. ...does anyone know what i'm talking about?

    Possibly. Which crappy old tv shows? Some of them are bound to make anyone sick.

  8. When's the last time you had your blood checked at the lab in the clinic? They can check for
    everything all at once I think with one blood draw including CBC [complete blood count], HDL - LDL,
    check for Iron poor blood and they can test for how sugar affects your blood without doing a
    complete draw sequence like they do for diabetes tests.

    Check your blood!

    Otherwise, 7 hours is a long ride. Sounds like overkill. It depends, I know guys that do single and
    double centuries, but if you extended your ride to 7 hours then that might be it. Cut back and see
    how you feel. Then if you feel good, racket it up again and compare how you feel. Your body should
    have at least one full day of rest a week. That's my opinion and a rule I live by.

    Bruce
    ------------------------
    "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > i know that training questions are a nono, but there isn't anyone i know in rl that i can
    > ask, sorry.
    >
    > i like to train 5-7 hours on saturday, and on sunday a lot of the time i feel kind of crappy- a
    > cross between a hangover and a sore throat maybe, with occasional dizzy spells. i still go out on
    > sunday for a few hours, but i don't know if that's a good idea.
    >
    > how can i not feel sick? i'm not the best at eating and drinking after i get home, if that has
    > anything to do with it? usually i pass out on the couch while my boyfriend watches crappy old tv
    > shows. i work during the week, so i'd like to be able to have two good days in a row on the
    > weekend...does anyone know what i'm talking about?
    >
    > heather

  9. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <BA881D14.2F4F4%[email protected]>, steve <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am assuming u are asking a legitimate question and not a troll. Considering everything is equal.
    > (not person specific health maladies) It sounds like it is induced by lack of liquids (possible
    > dehydration symptoms) The first thing I do when I get home after a long ride is drink a 32 ounce
    > bottle of diluted Gatorade. Whatever you choose rehydration is very important! Your 'glycogen
    > replenishment" window is supposed to be within 2 hours after you stop exercising.

    Your body MIGHT be able to absorb carbs and protein better during that two hours but by no means
    does it stop after that. Heather, how many calories of energy are you expending during your 4-5
    ride/skate? Probably at least 2000, including some fat calories.

    It will take a minimum of 24 hours for you to restore your glycogen if it has been exhausted during
    a training session. So... eat more after you train to (near) exhaustion. Protein too. If you're not
    getting enough protein for energy needs and rebuilding training-damaged muscle tissue your body will
    try hard to cannibalize muscle tissue for its protein needs. Light headedness is almost definitely
    due to dehydration and you should know if you are (by other indications).

    -WG

  10. "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > how can i not feel sick? i'm not the best at eating and drinking after i get home, if that has
    > anything to do with it? usually i pass out on the couch

    I think you've said it yourself. Just check the color of your urine and you'll know for sure.

    --
    Perre

    Replace the DOTs to reply

  11. "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KZA8a.678

    > It doesn't have to be an epic..just do 30-45mins of constant AEROBIC exercise each day and you'll
    > be a lot more fit
    and a lot
    > healthier. A regular brisk walk for 45mins each day is better than
    a 5 hour
    > death-march on Sat. and nothing else.

    You can't properly make prescriptions like this without knowing what Heather is training for. She
    has done, successfully, epic things on skates -- I think she is the first person to skate STP. So,
    assuming she has the same ultramarathon goals, means that a bunch of sub 1-hour rides may not be
    what she needs.

    To me, assuming her goals are more of the same, the three key workouts a week schedule with one huge
    day seems right. And the thing is, it's super hard to do a huge training day and then expect to be
    strong the next day.

    To respond to her original question, the key thing is eating and drinking enough during and
    immediately following the Saturday workout. And the only advice I can give on that is the importance
    of having healthy food and drinks you like pre-prepared before setting out on Saturday. That way you
    can stumble in the door and eat and drink. Shower, eat and drink some more and take a nap. Then
    maybe be recovered enough for some light technical training on Sunday.

    But I'd be careful on Sunday -- if you still feel bad after warming up probably end the workout.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  12. heather halvorson wrote
    > so i'd like to be able to have two good days in a row on the weekend...

    Beyond nutrition, one other thing would be to consider switching the order of your weekend workouts.
    Assuming that the very long workout on Saturdays is aimed to improve your endurance and psychology
    for very long events, while the shorter Sunday workout is at a higher intensity, you might want to
    consider doing two or three hours on Saturday. You're going to feel blown at the end of Sunday
    anyway, and you might still be able to do the Sunday workout succesfully anyway.

    The problem with this plan is that you may be a zombie at work Monday and since you can't lie on the
    couch at work (I assume) you may be risking digging a deeper sickness whole. But perhaps try it.

    JT

  13. Dan

    Dan Guest

    heather halvorson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > i like to train 5-7 hours on saturday, and on sunday a lot of the time i feel kind of crappy- a
    > cross between a hangover and a sore throat maybe, with occasional dizzy spells.

    So what's the problem? Sounds like fun, 'cept for the sore throat. I get headrushes when my legs are
    overworked from intensity or volume too. Someone told me it was 'cuz blood was pooling in my legs. I
    sit on the floor with my legs elevated on a chair for about 15 minutes at some point after a big
    ride. Seems to work.

    > i still go out on sunday for a few hours,
    > but i don't know if that's a good idea.
    >
    > how can i not feel sick? i'm not the best at eating and drinking after i get home, if that has
    > anything to do with it? usually i pass out on the couch while my boyfriend watches crappy old
    > tv shows.

    I know it's "pro" to nap, but if it's going to interfere with a good nights sleep, I avoid them.

    >i work during the week, so i'd like to be able to have two good days in a row on the weekend...does
    >anyone know what i'm talking about?

    Get a new boyfriend. This one's a tool. Does he even have a bike?

    > heather

    I have a very similar training schedule, 'cept I get a few 1-2.5 hour rides in during the week
    instead of a 3. I eat a triple serving of oatmeal with butter and molasses and a big mug of coffee
    before the main event on Saturday, and and eat about 6 big cookies, 1 bottle of gatorade, 1 bottle
    of water, and two bottles of coke during the ride. After the ride I have a zinc cough drop (only
    'cuz it's winter and every other person I see has a cold) and I eat normally for what's left of the
    day. I also drink lots of water up until about 2 hours before bedtime, and have a couple Advil if I
    think the soreness will keep me from sleeping well. For me, having a good night's sleep after a
    "main event" is key.

    One of my weekday rides is dedicated to "fat buring". I'll ride for about 2.5hrs easy, in the
    morning, with nothing but coffee for breakfast.

  14. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Dan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > One of my weekday rides is dedicated to "fat buring". I'll ride for about 2.5hrs easy, in the
    > morning, with nothing but coffee for breakfast.

    Are you concerned that your body will cannibalize muscle tissue in search of the fuel it needs?

    -WG

  15. "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:030320030854408252%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > One of my weekday rides is dedicated to "fat buring". I'll ride for about 2.5hrs easy, in the
    > > morning, with nothing but coffee for breakfast.
    >
    > Are you concerned that your body will cannibalize muscle tissue in search of the fuel it needs?

    Riding easy won't do that, especially if you're the typical Fattie Master with ample 25% bodyfat
    stores. That stuff is coating the walls of the arteries just begging to be metabolized.

  16. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > i like to train 5-7 hours on saturday, and on sunday a lot of the time i feel kind of crappy- a
    > cross between a hangover and a sore throat maybe, with occasional dizzy spells. i still go out on
    > sunday for a few hours, but i don't know if that's a good idea.

    Not a good idea if you feel crap, but should still be possible after Saturday. You might want to cut
    down on the number of beers you have on Saturday night from 20 to 15 (par example). I find a long
    ride is great to get rid of a hangover, except for perhaps the first hour. If you're getting a
    hangover without drinking lots of alcohol, then you're clearly doing something wrong with your Post
    Ride Nutrition (tm). See below.

    > how can i not feel sick? i'm not the best at eating and drinking after i get home, if that has
    > anything to do with it? usually i pass out on the couch while my boyfriend watches crappy old tv
    > shows. i work during the week, so i'd like to be able to have two good days in a row on the
    > weekend...does anyone know what i'm talking about?

    Most likely it's dehydration. You have to drink a *lot* of fluid after a 6 hour ride to recover
    properly, I find, as you can never drink enough on the bike. If it's warm weather, I can lose up to
    5 kg (despite drinking what I think is enough) and this takes a bit of replenishing. Immediately
    afterwards, drink several large glasses of water/mineral water/sports drink/fruit
    juice/coca-cola/whatever's in the fridge. Don't hit the beer for a bit.

    You'll probably find eating a lot is hard immediately after a long ride. I get hungry maybe 5-6
    hours after I finish. Then many things food-related mysteriously vanish from the
    fridge/cupboard/combination safe. You probably won't replace *all* the energy that you burned during
    the ride, but if you concentrate on carbohydrates and a bit of protein then you can get your
    glycogen levels back up. Beer may be part of the plan.

    If you don't eat and drink enough, you will feel like shit the next day, I guarantee it. But if you
    do drink/eat enough, then you should be able to go out and ride for another six hours the next day.
    I did, when I was last serious about it, because the weekends were the only time I had enough free
    hours to do long rides. Sundays tended to be a bit slower, however.

    Here's another tip, which may or may not work: an aspirin after a long ride can help reduce muscle
    soreness. I've tried it, and it seems to work for me. Also Vitamin E (300-500mg) and Vitamin C
    (500mg+) can help, through their anti-oxidant properties. I can't be bothered with anything else,
    except the odd tub of ice-cream.

    cheers, Jeff

  17. heather halvorson <[email protected]> writes:

    > i know that training questions are a nono, but there isn't anyone i know in rl that i can
    > ask, sorry.

    I've also got questions about training. (for bike racing) If this isn't the place to ask, on the
    internet, then where?

    Morgan Fletcher Oakland, CA

  18. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Morgan Fletcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > heather halvorson <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > i know that training questions are a nono, but there isn't anyone i know in rl that i can ask,
    > > sorry.
    >
    > I've also got questions about training. (for bike racing) If this isn't
    the
    > place to ask, on the internet, then where?
    >
    > Morgan Fletcher Oakland, CA

    This is a great forum to ask racing related questions that may or may not get answered. The
    questions may result in lots of flaming. You may actually have your question answered, but may not
    like what you hear.

    Ask away if you are brave enough.

    Mike

  19. Dan

    Dan Guest

    warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<030320030854408252%[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > One of my weekday rides is dedicated to "fat buring". I'll ride for about 2.5hrs easy, in the
    > > morning, with nothing but coffee for breakfast.
    >
    > Are you concerned that your body will cannibalize muscle tissue in search of the fuel it needs?
    >
    > -WG

    No, not on an easy ride.

    Why would my body cannibalize protein from my legs, which are working, rather than my pecs, lats or
    biceps? Is it the proximity to the furnace?

    If my legs do get a little cannibalized, in the balance of things, they're going to be rebuilt too
    because they're doing the work, no?

    Dan "non-master, non-fattie, non-fast"

  20. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    I did carefully preface my remarks by saying I did not know her specific fitness level or goals. Her
    previous feats and current fitness level are unknown to me.

    Regards,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    > You can't properly make prescriptions like this without knowing what Heather is training for. She
    > has done, successfully, epic things on skates -- I think she is the first person to skate STP. So,
    > assuming she has the same ultramarathon goals, means that a bunch of sub 1-hour rides may not be
    > what she needs.
    >
    > To me, assuming her goals are more of the same, the three key workouts a week schedule with one
    > huge day seems right. And the thing is, it's super hard to do a huge training day and then expect
    > to be strong the next day.

    <<snip..>>