dumb training question-does anyone ever feel sick after training?

"Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> le gopheur wrote:
>
> > agreed.
> > a. Vic's always a great & humble guy. (even more so off a bicycle)
> > b. *Most* of us have made a stupid move on at least one training ride in our lives. why hold
> > Vic to a higher standard?
>
> Okay. Like I said, that was my only experience with him. I'm willing to change my opinion
> considering the unanimous support here. Even Henry likes him!?
>
> Bret

Hard to imagine, ain't it?? Henry actually liking someone!

Mike

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA8D6881.309FE%[email protected]...

> > You never know what two years might do. I was an unwaivering 137 lbs my whole life (very skinny
> > at 5'8"). I could eat anything (and did).
Until
> > 41 years old when I got married, fathered a son and now at 43 I am 157
lbs.

> That¹s what Henry aka "Parrot Boy" does not get...........
>
> Because he has not done either one of those things.

Good excuse, Mr. Personal Responsibility.

My metabolism has slowed down just like everyone else who has gotten older. If one doesn't want to
gain weight and doesn't have the time to exercise more, the solution is simple: eat less.

There is no excuse for not being able to do so (other than lack of motivation). It takes less time
and it takes less money to eat less. There is an added bonus: if you don't have drowsiness from
eating too much at dinner, you have more energy.

K. Gringioni

ps. I used to weigh 190 in college when I lifted weights and played rugby.

> "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA8D6881.309FE%[email protected]...
> > >
> > > You never know what two years might do. I was an unwaivering 137 lbs
my
> > > whole life (very skinny at 5'8"). I could eat anything (and did).
> Until
> > > 41 years old when I got married, fathered a son and now at 43 I am 157
> lbs.
> > >

> > That¹s what Henry aka "Parrot Boy" does not get...........
> >
> > Because he has not done either one of those things.
>

> Good excuse, Mr. Personal Responsibility.
>
> My metabolism has slowed down just like everyone else who has gotten
older.
> If one doesn't want to gain weight and doesn't have the time to exercise more, the solution is
> simple: eat less.
>
> There is no excuse for not being able to do so (other than lack of motivation). It takes less time
> and it takes less money to eat less. There is an added bonus: if you don't have drowsiness from
> eating too much at dinner, you have more energy.
>

> K. Gringioni
>
> ps. I used to weigh 190 in college when I lifted weights and played rugby.

What did you weigh when you were kicking ass at the track? Couldn't have been more than 170...

Mike

"Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Mike S. wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to figure out this 4-way thing too. Since I ride up and down
the
> > coast almost every day (no hills for me thanks!) I can't think of any
4-ways
> > except the light at DM Heights, and some stops in DM itself. Is that
where
> > you're talking about?
> >
> > Mike
>
> It's been a few years and maybe I'm a little confused about exactly where DM is. I'm talking about
> a section on 101? just north of Tory Pines where there's a series of 2-3 4-way stops just before
> you start the long climb up to where the weekend rides start. Maybe they're not there any more. I
> think the turn-off for the park road is in the same area. I stand by my comments. A car had to
> lock up it's brakes so he could get his gap.
>
> Bret

I'm not saying he didn't do it. I wasn't there. I'm not like someone on another newsgroup trying to
tell me that my front wheel didn't flex when I was sprinting on it. It just seems strange, knowing
Vic. Go figure. Like I said earlier, we all have the occasion where we don't think.

Mike

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:060320032023279290%[email protected]...

> > or
> > >
> > > How do you train your blood to leave your legs immediately and get to your stomach and small
> > > intestine so it can help with digestion?
> > >
> > > -WG
> >
> > You are supposed to spin down first, like everyone should after a race or hard ride (to clear
> > the lactic acid from your legs) and have a RECOVERY drink or snack, > > -Suz

> Eating protein or alot of carbs after only 15 minutes may cause digestion problems.

I didn't say a LOT of carbs, or a lot of protein, the point was to start replenishing your glycogen
stores as soon as possible.

> I got the impression from your writing above that there is a window that begins closing after only
> 30 minutes. You provide no evidence for this.

I learned it in a seminar put on by a well respected sports med doc who specializes in performance
nutrition, but I had already heard about this theory, I think in one of Ed burke's book. I didn't
invent it myself, so I don't feel the need to provide you with evidence.

.>He also says the ratio should now
> be 5:1 to 4:1. He thinks yogurt is a good choice, as do I.

Yes, yogurt works well for me too, or chocolate milk; and I DID say "approximately" 4:1. No need to
split hairs.

> I finish all my rides or skis with 15 minutes easy effort, begin sipping Gatorade about 15
> minutes after the excercise ends, eat some protein with more complex carbs at somewhere near 4:1
> ratio about one hour after,

If that works for you, great. The Gatorade probably helps; without it, you would be bonking (or I
would) by the time one hour rolled around.

>and then eat the same ratio at about two hours after unless it's after 6-7pm.

Excellent. Why didn't you say so? Sounds like we agree, so I don't know why you are arguing. I was
never trying to dis your post in the first place, just clarifying, so Heather wouldn't think she
should wait 2 hours to start eating.

> So how is it you train yourself so that the blood leaves your legs and goes to your stomach within
> minutes? That is what you said isn't it?

WTF? YOU said that, not me. I can eat when I get home b/c I am cooled down by then, but I already
said that. Basically, I do pretty much what you do, except I have chocolate milk or Endurox instead
of Gatorade. It works for me, trust me.

-Suz

Suz wrote:

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >and then eat the same ratio at about two hours after unless it's after 6-7pm.
>
> Excellent. Why didn't you say so? Sounds like we agree, so I don't know why you are arguing. I was
> never trying to dis your post in the first place

ahh, it's spring and luv is in the air on rbr once again...(sorry s & w, i couldn't resist)

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Suz wrote:
> >
> > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > >and then eat the same ratio at about two hours after unless it's after 6-7pm.
> >
> > Excellent. Why didn't you say so? Sounds like we agree, so I don't
know
> > why you are arguing. I was never trying to dis your post in the first place
>
> ahh, it's spring and luv is in the air on rbr once again...(sorry s & w, i couldn't resist)

Yeah, it's funny, b/c WG & I actually agree more than we disagree, except on one detail, I guess I
should have made that more clear in my first post. Basically: Eat and drink after your workouts,
sooner rather than later! Don't pass out on the couch until after you have done this! End of story!

-Suz working on her communication skills

In article <[email protected]>, Suz <[email protected]> wrote:

> "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Suz wrote:

> > > Excellent. Why didn't you say so? Sounds like we agree, so I don't
> know
> > > why you are arguing. I was never trying to dis your post in the first place
> >
> > ahh, it's spring and luv is in the air on rbr once again...(sorry s & w, i couldn't resist)

> Yeah, it's funny, b/c WG & I actually agree more than we disagree, except on one detail, I guess
> I should have made that more clear in my first post. Basically: Eat and drink after your
> workouts, sooner rather than later! Don't pass out on the couch until after you have done this!
> End of story!
>
> -Suz working on her communication skills

Yeah Heather! You started this! Eat, drink, and be merry. Then pass out on the couch. Even if you're
not training.

-WG

news:<[email protected]>...

> No, I'm burned out on competitive athletics. Been doing it since I was 12 years old (not cycling
> the entire time).
>
> I *am* interested in keeping my weight down for long-term health.

Get a singlespeed.

warren <[email protected]> writes:

> In article <[email protected]>, one of the six billion
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Damn! 10-15 lbs to gain, and only 6 years to do it...
> > >
> > > Andy Coggan
> > >

> > You never know what two years might do. I was an unwaivering 137 lbs my whole life (very skinny
> > at 5'8"). I could eat anything (and did). Until 41 years old when I got married, fathered a son
> > and now at 43 I am 157 lbs.
>
> Yes, I've heard that having a baby often leads to weight gain-for the mother! Perhaps you should
> stop stealing his formula and go for the strained peas instead.
>
> -WG

Watch out for this stuff. More addictive than crack.

http://www.gerber.com/ourproducts/babyfood/product.asp?sku=1500000443

-Gerard

"Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Watch out for this stuff. More addictive than crack.
>
> http://www.gerber.com/ourproducts/babyfood/product.asp?sku=1500000443

I remember when I was younger I read something that advised you to avoid foods that may upset your
stomach before racing. So on the eve of my first race I went out and bought a whole whack of jarred
baby food for breakfast, reasoning that there could be nothing gentler on a stomach than baby food.
I ate it for breakfast (it was somewhat more bland than I remembered), showed up for my first ever
race (citizen class), and got lapped when I thought I was in a group off the front! It didn't matter
though, I was hooked, and soon discovered that eating oatmeal for breakfast was more pleasant but
still didn't fix that annoying getting lapped problem. Training until I felt sick solved that
problem fairly quickly.

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > K. Gringioni
> >
> > ps. I used to weigh 190 in college when I lifted weights and played
rugby.

> What did you weigh when you were kicking ass at the track? Couldn't have been more than 170...

Well, kicking ass might be overstating the case, but I raced at 160-165 the last few years. I would
have liked to have weighed even less, but wasn't disciplined enough.

> "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >

> > > K. Gringioni
> > >
> > > ps. I used to weigh 190 in college when I lifted weights and played
> rugby.
> > >
> > What did you weigh when you were kicking ass at the track? Couldn't
have
> > been more than 170...
>

> Well, kicking ass might be overstating the case, but I raced at 160-165
the
> last few years. I would have liked to have weighed even less, but wasn't disciplined enough.

All this and modesty too...

You ever gonna tell these guys about the donut rides?

Mike

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > rugby.
> > > >
> > > What did you weigh when you were kicking ass at the track? Couldn't
> have
> > > been more than 170...
> >

> > Well, kicking ass might be overstating the case, but I raced at 160-165
> the
> > last few years. I would have liked to have weighed even less, but wasn't disciplined enough.
> >
> All this and modesty too...
>
> You ever gonna tell these guys about the donut rides?
>
> Mike

what donut ride?

> my
> Until
> lbs.
> > > >

> > > That1s what Henry aka "Parrot Boy" does not get...........
> > >
> > > Because he has not done either one of those things.
> >

> > Good excuse, Mr. Personal Responsibility.
> >
> > My metabolism has slowed down just like everyone else who has gotten
> older.
> > If one doesn't want to gain weight and doesn't have the time to exercise more, the solution is
> > simple: eat less.
> >
> > There is no excuse for not being able to do so (other than lack of motivation). It takes less
> > time and it takes less money to eat less. There is an added bonus: if you don't have drowsiness
> > from eating too much at dinner, you have more energy.
> >

> > K. Gringioni
> >
> > ps. I used to weigh 190 in college when I lifted weights and played rugby.
> >
> What did you weigh when you were kicking ass at the track? Couldn't have been more than 170...
>
> Mike

I rode the track with Kurgan. He was doing fine, but (by his own admission) wasn't 'kicking ass.'
Bittenbender, he kicked some ass.

-RJ

"Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > > K. Gringioni
> > >
> > > ps. I used to weigh 190 in college when I lifted weights and played
rugby.

> > What did you weigh when you were kicking ass at the track? Couldn't
have
> > been more than 170...
> >
> > Mike
>
> I rode the track with Kurgan. He was doing fine, but (by his own admission) wasn't 'kicking ass.'
> Bittenbender, he kicked some ass.

Shaun Wallace too. Those 2 guys were a level or two or three above the next tier.

> "Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> rugby.
> > > >
> > > What did you weigh when you were kicking ass at the track? Couldn't
> have
> > > been more than 170...
> > >
> > > Mike
> >
> > I rode the track with Kurgan. He was doing fine, but (by his own admission) wasn't 'kicking
> > ass.' Bittenbender, he kicked some ass.
>

> Shaun Wallace too. Those 2 guys were a level or two or three above the
next
> tier.

Problem with racing Shaun is that he seems to have an "overdrive." He'll be spinning along, then
BAM! there he goes, feet a blur as he rockets away from the pack/me. *******! Where can I get
some of that??

I don't remember too much about Bittenbender. Henry stood out 'cause there's not too many Asians
going fast at the track... I do know that there are a bunch of great cyclists that don't come down
and race at the track any more. Good thing, 'cause if they did, I'd have to drop back to the B's!

Mike