Dumbass rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Kunich wrote:
> Uhh, Heather, did it occur to you that thousands and thousands of previous skaters have tried
> absolutely everything possible to train for those events? They have used centuries of trial and
> error to learn the fastest way to skate and the very best and brightest have tried to pass that
> information on to the next generations best and brightest? This group then has tried everything to
> improve on those practices and they have then passed on what they learned.
>
> Do you really think that you are going to come up with a better way? Maybe you can't find one of
> the good coaches and maybe you can learn better by yourself than under a mediocre coach, but
> explain why the best racers always seem to have the best coaches?

Klap skates are only six years old or so. Speedskating could really use more innovations. I've tried
it and that position that looks so smooth and natural downright sucks! It's really hard to maintain
a bike-riding position without a bike under you. :)

Sorry, I digress.

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Nick Burns wrote:
> No disrespect intended here, um...you really don't have any shoes to wear while riding other than
> open toed sandals? Send me your address and shoe size and I will send you a pair. You can even
> have a short sleeved jersey (if you need it).

You missed the parts where I've stated I have mtb shoes (both bikes have the same pedal system).
They're just rugged and rugged looking, about as odd as the sandals. I certainly appreciate your
offer, but I'll take care of it. Thanks!

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Of course I'll wear a sleeved jersey next time, but I think the sleeveless ones look fine or
>>better with the right arms sticking out of them.
>
>
>
>
> <snip>
>
>
>
>
> Do you beat your wife?

If I had one, I'm sure I would.

--
--

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>Of course I'll wear a sleeved jersey next time, but I think the sleeveless ones look fine or
> >>better with the right arms sticking out of them.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Do you beat your wife?
>
> If I had one, I'm sure I would.
>

That's OK, just beat Henry instead.

Mike

Kyle Legate wrote:
> Since I rarely ever wear gloves I need the sleeves on my jersey to wipe the sweat off my forehead.
> The sleeves on a jersey help to prevent salt stinging the eyes, which can lead to more crashes.
> Ergo, sleeves help to prevent crashes.

You wade into a thread where someone who doesn't wear sleeves is taking **** because it just doesn't
look right, and admit that you don't wear gloves?
-----------------
Dude.

Just wear your goddam gloves. You can do it. But don't get any weird ideas like losing the sleeves.
-----------------

There. I beat Henry to it.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Always wears gloves. Doesn't own SPD sandals. Only has sleeveless jerseys because I couldn't get
one with sleeves over my head after a collarbone break, never wore them once it healed. RBR
fashion maven.

On 29 May 2003 11:03:02 -0700, Donald Munro wrote:
>> The fact that you're using two equal signs makes you a dork too.
>C/C++/Java programmer. Perhaps you meant geek instead of dork ? (and if he (used lots (of
> brackets)))) he be a Lisping geek

I know I know. If he can say Fred==Dork I can say Nerd=Dork, right?

E.-for now, Mathematica programmer

Bob Schwartz wrote:
>
> You wade into a thread where someone who doesn't wear sleeves is taking **** because it just
> doesn't look right, and admit that you don't wear gloves?
>
I knew someone would pick up on this and yes, I am fully aware of my hypocrisy.

Having said that, riding without gloves doesn't look stupid. Riding with the sleeves cut off your
jersey does look stupid.

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Raptor wrote:
> > > A. Sleeveless jerseys are illegal, but we'll let it slide this time.
> > > B. Open-toed "shoes" are not permitted and we'll NOT let it slide this time.
> > >
> > > Rule A strikes me as the more stupid one. There's no sensible rationale that I can think of.
> > > If we want to bare our ripped deltoids and increase our skin cancer risk, who cares?
> "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > When you crash and land on your shoulder, you'll be grateful for the
extra
> > covering.
> I crashed and landed on my shoulder in a full shouldered jersey in a race a week and a half ago
> and the 'extra covering' did nothing stop the road rash on my shoulder (or the broken collar bone
> and ligament). Personally I'd prefer a mandatory IQ test for racers to sift out morons who cause
> completely unnecessary crashes in breakaways. Actually sleeveless jerseys are cool (literally) on
> very hot days which is why you see pros in the Giro wrapping up their sleeves on hot days.
>
> Enough one handed typing.

Sorry to hear about the injury, I can empathize, I did the same a couple of years ago.

Dashii
>
> Donald

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Bob Schwartz wrote:
> >
> > You wade into a thread where someone who doesn't wear sleeves is taking **** because it just
> > doesn't look right, and admit that you don't wear gloves?
> >
> I knew someone would pick up on this and yes, I am fully aware of my hypocrisy.
>
> Having said that, riding without gloves doesn't look stupid. Riding with
the
> sleeves cut off your jersey does look stupid.
>
>
I'm one of those guys that doesn't wear gloves when I'm out alone, but I do when racing or am in a
pack of riders. I figure the odds of me crashing myself are pretty slim. The odds of someone in a
pack taking me out are much higher.

Besides, I got tired of the funny tan line on my wrist a long time ago.

Mike

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:xWtBa.6197
> Having said that, riding without gloves doesn't look stupid. Riding
with the
> sleeves cut off your jersey does look stupid.

I don't wear gloves in training if it's about about 55 degrees. That's not fredly.

I never wear sleeveless jerseys.

JT

--
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

Casey Kerrigan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<280520031435078769%[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Ryan John Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> >
> > SPD sandals in a race just strikes me as a bad idea. The potential for road rash alone...you
> > don't want to mess up your feet. Even if there's no specific rule, I'll bet the race marshall
> > has broad discretion when it comes to safety and liability issues.
>
> I remember one time I put my foot into the front wheel of another rider at the track. I hate to
> think what my foot would have looked like if I had been wearing sandals. Based on this experience
> as a Chief Ref at a race I would probably require a rider to have regular cycling shoes ( or at
> least somethig that covered the toes) as a safety issue.

Someone missed/or allowed the guy in SPD sandals at the Pescadero RR a couple of years ago.

Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
> "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > The real reason for the rules is tradition and uniformity. I think there's some value to that.
> > Sleeveless jerseys are not part of the bike racer look. And there is something to be said to
> > having participants in the sport look more uniform -- it makes the sport look more
> > serious/important to outsiders.

> All team sports have some element of tradition in their unifoms. Soccer, football, baseball,
> hockey, basketball all have their "dumbass rules".

> Has anyone pointed out to the dumbass originator of this thread that it's his job to know
> the rules?

We figured it was his job to know that it was his job.

Not to advocate for the return of the white sock rule, but tradition is important, and to take what
you and JFT are saying a bit further, one of the reasons against sleeveless jerseys is to
distinguish roadies from tri geeks. Even if we are both members of the oppressed minority of bicycle
riders, tribalism dictates that the two factions come up with ways to divide themselves. And after
all, if you are a "serious roadie" you should have a pathetic skinny upper body that looks bad in a
sleeveless jersey. I sure do, even though barely serious or roadie.

Bottom line, if you do not have Mario Cipollini's style, don't do it; if you have to ask whether you
have Mario's style, you don't.

Anyway, the real problem is that the OP appears to have been going on group rides and hasn't been
getting **** for his jersey or sandals. Clearly his fellow-riders have let him down. See, everybody
says roadies are a bunch of obnoxious snobs, but look what happens when they are nice and accepting!
If only some obnoxious snob with Sidis, Oakleys and a carbon Trek (KP, are you there?) had set the
OP straight, this tragedy could have been averted.

Ben gets trash talk on group rides

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Bottom line, if you do not have
> Mario Cipollini's style, don't do
> it; if you have to ask whether you
> have Mario's style, you don't.

LOL. And true.

JT

--
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>>
>>>Do you beat your wife?
>>
>
>>If I had one, I'm sure I would.
>
>
> Are there enough that they can gang up on you?
>
> Bob Schwartz [email protected]

I'm holding out for one that can fight me to a draw.

--
--

"Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On 29 May 2003 11:03:02 -0700, Donald Munro wrote:
> >> The fact that you're using two equal signs makes you a dork too.
> >C/C++/Java programmer. Perhaps you meant geek instead of dork ? (and if he (used lots (of
> > brackets)))) he be a Lisping geek
>
> I know I know. If he can say Fred==Dork I can say Nerd=Dork, right?
>
> E.-for now, Mathematica programmer
>

No, you are assigning a value rather than comparing equivalence.

Kyle Legate wrote:
> Bob Schwartz wrote:
>
>>You wade into a thread where someone who doesn't wear sleeves is taking **** because it just
>>doesn't look right, and admit that you don't wear gloves?
>>
>
> I knew someone would pick up on this and yes, I am fully aware of my hypocrisy.
>
> Having said that, riding without gloves doesn't look stupid. Riding with the sleeves cut off your
> jersey does look stupid.

Who cuts the sleeves off their jerseys? That would be stupid.

Riding without gloves looks really stupid to those of use who've fallen off our bikes. I don't think
I've ever scraped up a shoulder.

--
--

Benjamin Weiner wrote:
> Bottom line, if you do not have Mario Cipollini's style, don't do it; if you have to ask whether
> you have Mario's style, you don't.

I have Cipo's style, and have the poseur diploma to prove it. (So there.)

Hell, this is Utah. We don't have the summers that Phoenix or Vegas do, but it does get pretty
damn hot here. We'll have a month's worth of 100+ (37C for the non-standard types) high temps in a
warm year.

We also have our share of tri-geeks, so I fit right in until I re-joined the peloton, or tried to.

--
--

Mike S. wrote:
> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>>
>>>"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>>>Of course I'll wear a sleeved jersey next time, but I think the sleeveless ones look fine or
>>>>better with the right arms sticking out of them.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>><snip>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Do you beat your wife?
>>
>>If I had one, I'm sure I would.
>>
>
>
> That's OK, just beat Henry instead.
>
> Mike
>
>
is Henry the bishop?

ding ding ding ding folks we have a winner................ and those stupid dots on the backs of
your hands......???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Besides, I got tired of the funny tan line on my wrist a long time ago.
>
> Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.