Dumbest Comment of The Tour (so far)

Gregers

Feb 1, 2007
On Eurosport yesterday, the Thunderbird puppet lookalike posed the simple question "Is this Tour clean". The mighty Duffield, with great emphasis, replied "95% clean!". So, naivety and ignorance in equal measure from the tricycling giant. Sadly, if this type of complacent view is pumped out by the talking heads and is accepted by a largely unsophisticated viewing public, we will be back exactly where we were after the Festina affair. Whilst not exaggerating the influence of these TV clowns, we can but hope that comments that imply that the dragon has already been slain do not gain popular acceptance. Otherwise, after an appropriate period of phony self-abasement and hand wringing, the great pretence will simply continue as before.

Both Roche and Duffield became defensive when the subject was raised.
Roche went off on one when it was mentioned that the TDF wanted Zabels 1996 jersey back.

In fairness to Roche - he did say that it was impossible to tell if the TDF was clean.
Duffield said he thought that 95% of the riders were clean.
Duffields being naive.

Then they both started to go on about how other sports aren't doing enough to clean up their sports and how cycling was at the forefront of the fight against doping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which is a typical diversionary tactic ie. point the finger at other sports to mitigate the doping in cycling.

I agree with the point - if the talking heads aren't going to call a spade, a spade, this sends out the wrong message entirely to joepublic.

limerickman said:
Roche went off on one when it was mentioned that the TDF wanted Zabels 1996 jersey back.

In fairness to Roche - he did say that it was impossible to tell if the TDF was clean.
Duffields being naive.

Then they both started to go on about how other sports aren't doing enough to clean up their sports and how cycling was at the forefront of the fight against doping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which is a typical diversionary tactic ie. point the finger at other sports to mitigate the doping in cycling.

I agree with the point - if the talking heads aren't going to call a spade, a spade, this sends out the wrong message entirely to joepublic.

Yes, but it's always been like that. The tv people are trying to flog their product, so a drugs perception is bad for them. I mean, Phil Liggett said that he believed Floyd Landis.

Roche's prevaricating reply spoke volumes. As did his ramble about the taking back of jerseys. I wonder if he had any particular jersey in mind?
limerickman said:

Duffields being naive.

Paul Sherwan's comment on Mick Rogers after his fall:

'You can see the pain, well you actually can't see pain but...'

David Harmon stage 7 "I never thought I'd hear myself say this - but Landeluze is losing ground to Elvis" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gregers said:
On Eurosport yesterday, the Thunderbird puppet lookalike posed the simple question "Is this Tour clean". The mighty Duffield, with great emphasis, replied "95% clean!". So, naivety and ignorance in equal measure from the tricycling giant. Sadly, if this type of complacent view is pumped out by the talking heads and is accepted by a largely unsophisticated viewing public, we will be back exactly where we were after the Festina affair. Whilst not exaggerating the influence of these TV clowns, we can but hope that comments that imply that the dragon has already been slain do not gain popular acceptance. Otherwise, after an appropriate period of phony self-abasement and hand wringing, the great pretence will simply continue as before.
rrre

rob of the og said:
Yes, but it's always been like that. The tv people are trying to flog their product, so a drugs perception is bad for them. I mean, Phil Liggett said that he believed Floyd Landis.
ddss