Dunedin NZ - AOK newsletter

J&H-W

Guest
everything's aok 29/4/03

Ah, Wanaka in autumn! The attached scene was sent by Barrie Foote and shows some AOKers pausing
during another great ride in the Wanaka area over Easter. Yep, I really miss the vivid colours of
Central at this time of year.

I WAS otherwise occupied on Saturday, but it sounds as tho the gaggle of riders which assembled at
the Berwick School had a fun afternoon. Mike Parfitt sent the following report -

GOVT TRACK TREK

As we gathered at Berwick School, a few eyes were cast heavenwards in an attempt to gauge what the
effect of the 40kph wind would be like on the exposed hilltops. But, hey, it was a lovely Autumn day
as about 25 of us gathered ( sans fearless Fridd ). The Medium fries decided they weren’t going to
hang about, and were off up the Waipori road. to be followed 5 minutes later by the Tough nuts,
whose numbers had swollen considerably. Mainly from tough medium fries defections, I think ?

We stopped at the entrance to the Gov. Track. All except Rob H. who changed gear and showed us how
to ride up the steep duck-boards.

After the first 30 metres, the track was in good condition, Chris thought that it must have been
swept recently, as there was no trace of the infamous nettle or bramble and the surface was hard and
98% dry. We were totally unaware of the brisk wind raging overhead, that was until we came to the
half-way paddock. I was watching Keith heading off the path, going up the steep bank! Then, whilst
crossing the same patch, I had the same experience as the wind blew the front wheel off the path and
up the slope – most peculiar! Watching Raelene some 50m behind, she had the same happen to her –
very amusing.

As we climbed higher, we noticed the effect of the breeze with some smaller branches lying about the
track here and there, but that made it all the more fun, improving our skills as we rode over tree
roots and loose logs. When we reached the power lines at the top, Rhonda was wearing a grin that
would have made the Cheshire cat proud, “That was a bit of fun,” she chirped.

A short stop and the 6 Medium Fries were off, following the power lines towards the coast and the
Kowhai Spur, which I’ve heard a few horror stories about ! After walking the first section, Sonja
decided that it was easier to ride than push the bike down the hill ( which it was ). However, by
now, Keith was gaining confidence and decided to show us how to ride side-saddle, as he tried to
dismount when he felt that his steed was getting away from him. Fortunately, he got it all under
control with a few big 4 metre steps. I was impressed, Keith, and thought you had invented a few new
moves for the Latin Samba!

Rounding the next corner we came across Malcolm, who had suffered a pinch flat on a rocky piece of
downhill. His spare tube was also leaking. He’d done it by the book though, checking the inside of
the tyre for thorns and the rim for sharp bits etc. but even the patch wasn’t working. He tried
Raelene’s spare tube, but that wouldn’t hold air either. Eventually, a third tube was found that did
hold air, and we were soon ripping our way down the Kowhai Spur. What a brilliant bit of track that
is, with banked berms and switchbacks – yahoo. It was just a pity that my front brake pads wore
through near the bottom, ah well, I suppose 1100 kms per set is reasonable mileage ?

A couple of refreshments at Outram pub with Shona and the two remaining tough nuts Russell & Bill,
with the consensus being that although not a long ride, it was a good upper body work-out
negotiating the roots and carrying our bikes over seven streams and two fences.

Dist. 24km; Ave 11km/h; Max 48km/h; Riding time 2:10; Actual time 3:30

No report from the Tuffnuts, although Mike's mention of the "two remaining
T/Nuts" seems to suggest they finished before the MFs for a change, so either they didn't go very
far or they did the same route as the MF's but faster!

UPCOMING: This Saturday, there's another one of those Very Important Events on at Carisbrook at
5.30pm, which I'm sure many of you would be upset to miss (and there would be a divorce in our house
if I failed to accompany my rugby-mad Better Half along, specially on our wedding anniversary), so
we'll start early -- 11am at the St Clair Esplanade car park. The MF's will most likely head down
the Peninsula then up Castlewood and home on Highcliff, so there are heaps of options for those who
feel like they need something more. The Tuffnuts could even set their sights on the Swampy Summit!

WEDNESDAY NIGHT RIDE: Rick Thompson advises that Wed night rides are a happening thing for those
set up with lights - He writes: On Wednesday night (April 30) we will be riding either with the
Cafe Crawlers or in our own group (depending on numbers). Meet outside Browns Avanti at 7.30pm,
all welcome.

OTHER EVENTS UPCOMING: Two events on this weekend, a change for April -

Central Otago: Carricktown Crusher on Saturday, May 3, starting 12 noon at Bannockburn Hotel.
Testing 31km ride to 1900m Duffers Saddle on the Nevis road then home to Bannockburn via 4WD tracks.
Info at www.cromwell.org.nz or try bike shops for entry form - I've also got a few here. Can anyone
riding in this please send me a report and pix if possible.

East Otago: Some of you might have heard about the new Tussock Trail MTB tour, also happening on
Saturday. Basic ride is only 18km on public roads starting at Stoneburn, inland from Palmerston,
with an extra 13km section for better riders starting at Macraes, again on public roads. Both stages
start at 10am on Saturday, although I see they fixed a cutoff for entries of April 26, so looks like
they don't want late entries. Sounds as tho the event's a tester for a possible annual event which
would interest some of our riders, so I've been in touch with organiser Terry Mitchell and suggested
a few ways he could make the event more enticing to outside riders, such as starting about noon or
1pm so people have time to travel, starting and finishing in the same place, including tougher
options for good riders (including 4WD track or singletrack) and accepting late entries. We'll see
what happens. Terry's started a MTB ride group in East Otago, so I've suggested we could get
together for joint rides on occasions. The Waikouaiti orienteering day in Sept could be one. If you
want to contact Terry, email him on [email protected]

ADVENTURE OUTFITTERS AOK BONSPIEL: The first entry forms for the '03 Bonspiel went out yesterday, to
riders from previous Bonspiels. Next week they'll go to those on the B preferential list, and a week
later we'll open it up to the public - if there are any places left! We only take 70 on this event,
so you've gotta be in! Details on the '03 event are finally up on our AOK web site at
www.otago-tourism.co.nz

Go to "winter AOK".

MIKE PARFITT included some helpful MTB tips with his Saturday ride report (by the way, everyone -
please feel free to send me tips on bike maintenance and riding, nutrition, great products etc - I
had been including some but haven't had time recently)

Here's Mike's first tip -

AOK tip No 488:

Most of us carry a spare tube, I’ve had tubes become punctured by chafing against the multi-tool in
my saddle bag, so now I carry the tube in a old soft plastic sunglasses sleeve to protect it from
unwanted surprises whilst bouncing around in the bag. Chris tells me he keeps his in an odd sock,
which has the additional benefit of providing a cloth to wipe your fingers, after fiddling with a
grubby chain. (John adds - I keep mine in the original thick-cardboard box in my backpack, along
with my pump, as I was advised early on that clipping the pump on to the bike frame leaves it
exposed to mud and other shite and also opens it up to being damaged when you have the old
involuntary dismount.)

PARTING CHUCKLE: Two Hobbits visiting Dunedin are enjoying a night on the Guinness at Dicey
O'Reilly's. One meets a lovely young local lass, and invites her back to the motel, and then into
his bedroom. The other Hobbit is quite interested in this carry-on and listens at the door, only to
hear his friend saying over and over: "I can't do it, I can't do it."

Next morning Hobbit No. 2 asks his mate: "How did it go last night?"

"It was embarrassing - I couldn't do it."

"Oh, the ol' manhood problems, eh?"

"No, not that - I couldn't get on to the bed!"

Spend time behind bars!

John Fridd

"J&H-W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> [...]
> with the consensus being that although not a
long
> ride, it was a good upper body work-out negotiating the roots and carrying our bikes over seven
> streams and two fences.
>

> Dist. 24km; Ave 11km/h; Max 48km/h; Riding time 2:10; Actual time 3:30
>

> No report from the Tuffnuts, although Mike's mention of the "two remaining
> T/Nuts" seems to suggest they finished before the MFs for a change, so either they didn't go very
> far or they did the same route as the MF's but faster!
>

> UPCOMING: This Saturday, there's another one of those Very Important
Events
> on at Carisbrook at 5.30pm, which I'm sure many of you would be upset to miss (and there would be
> a divorce in our house if I failed to accompany
my
> rugby-mad Better Half along, specially on our wedding anniversary)

John,

Your wife sounds like a dream... what a PERFECT wedding anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me of a mate who had his honeymoon at the last Rugby World Cup... (his wife thought she was
going on a European vacation!)

Karl aka Stomper

ps the bike riding sounds great!