Dura Aca 7800 rear brake spring tension?

Sunshinerealty

May 6, 2010
I have a HED third brake lever on a TT bike on the right extensions. This brake adds tension to the rear break cable and the rear brake does not have enough spring tension reopen after being closed. I have tried redoing the cables and position of the HED brake attachment but this did not work. I’m now on my second pair of brakes – Dura – Ace 7800 but the rear break still does on have enough spring tension, it is adjusted to the max. Is there a way add an extra heavy duty spring to a Dura Ace 7800 brake or another brake with more spring tension. other ideas?

Have you lubed the cables?

My understanding of these brake levers is that they pull/push the outer cable as it loops through the lever (just like a cyclocross lever).

It could be that, with the tight loop and the extra cable required to go around the extension, you're adding too much friction for the rear bake to overcome.

I'd also check that you haven't crimped the outer cables as you have cut them (did you clean up the ragged ends and then open the outers up with a spoke or stiff wire?), and make sure that there are no kinks in the inner cable either. All these things add up.

Sunshinerealty said:
Is there a way add an extra heavy duty spring to a Dura Ace 7800 brake or another brake with more spring tension. other ideas?
I think that almost ANY quality, single pivot brake caliper from 30+ years ago (e.g., Campagnolo NR, Shimano DA, SunTour) whose brake lever was NOT aero will have a stronger return spring ...

I once changed the springs on a pair of 105 calipers to a stiffer pair because one spring had developed a small amount of rust on it [this was a cosmetic issue], but I don't remember what set of calipers I cannibalized (probably, Tektro ... but, maybe not) ... at first, I was surprised by the stiffer feel, otherwise I don't think I would have noticed ... I'm not sure that it was as stiff as the vintage calipers.