Dura Ace 10 compatibility

Chris Friedmann

Aug 2, 2003
I have Mavic Ksyrium wheels with a Shimano 8 speed drivetrain..Are these wheels compatible with the new Shimano 10 Dura Ace Gruppo???

Originally posted by Chris Friedmann
I have Mavic Ksyrium wheels with a Shimano 8 speed drivetrain..Are these wheels compatible with the new Shimano 10 Dura Ace Gruppo???

the current speeds of the drivetrain isn't as important as the freehub. you can run 8-speed cassettes on a 7,8,or 9-speed freehub.

if you have a 9-speed freehub the 10-speed cassettes should work fine. some might have a limitation that you can only use the 12T cassettes and not the 11T cassettes.

if it's an 7/8-speed freehub, you'll need to change the free-hub body to use 10-speed. i'm sure Mavic would be happy to sell you one!! :D

Originally posted by drewski
you can run 8-speed cassettes on a 7,8,or 9-speed freehub.
You cannot run a 8 speed cassette on a shimano 7 speed hub.The cassette is too wide. A 7 speed cassette works on a 8/9 speed hub with a 4.5mm spacer to take up the excess width.

if it's an 7/8-speed freehub, you'll need to change the free-hub body to use 10-speed. i'm sure Mavic would be happy to sell you one!! :D
There is no such thing as a 7/8 speed freehub.

if you have a 9-speed freehub the 10-speed cassettes should work fine. some might have a limitation that you can only use the 12T cassettes and not the 11T cassettes.
If you have a shimano 8/9 speed hub, the shimano 10 speed cassette works on it. The 10 speed casette may or may not work on other manufaccturers shimano 8/9 speed compatible freehubs,like your Ks due to slight differences in width,but the spline pattern is compatible.

8 speed, 9 speed, and new 10 speed shimano cassette bodies are the same width, and you should be fine running 10 on your mavic wheels. The new 7800 cassette is actually a bit thinner than the 9 speed versions, and comes with a small washer to put behind the cassette, much like those that came with mavic helium and cosmos wheelsets..