Dura Ace 10 sp Shifters on 9speed Drivetrain

cyclepath

Dec 30, 2003
Is it possible to use DA 10 speed shifters with DA 9 speed drivetrain? Is it possible to lockout the 10th click and have proper shifting performance? I like the feel of the new 10 DA shifters but can't justify the cost of a whole new drivetrain.

Originally posted by cyclepath
Is it possible to use DA 10 speed shifters with DA 9 speed drivetrain? Is it possible to lockout the 10th click and have proper shifting performance? I like the feel of the new 10 DA shifters but can't justify the cost of a whole new drivetrain.
Not likely unless you like real crappy shifting.Shimano 9 speed cog spacing is 4.34mm and 10 is 3.95. You can usually get away with a .2mm difference, but the ARs don't even buy that one.

all you would need is the 10 speed cogset and a wheel that can handle it. new chain too.

Originally posted by mikem
Would you need the DA/10 rear derailleur?

not from all I have read The RD does not know speeds. I have a 9 speed dura ace rd on shimano spaced 8 speed campy cogs it works fine.

Originally posted by stevek
not from all I have read The RD does not know speeds.
Yeah, but it has to have the proper throw ratio for the application. Ya can't just switch a campy RD for a shimano and a pre 9 speed DA RD only works with pre 9 speed DA shifters,notwithstanding a few exceptions.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Yeah, but it has to have the proper throw ratio for the application. Ya can't just switch a campy RD for a shimano and a pre 9 speed DA RD only works with pre 9 speed DA shifters,notwithstanding a few exceptions.

Yes I forgot about the older D/A equipment. and yes I found out you can't switch a campy and shimano detailer.

Originally posted by cyclepath

The you describe setup works just fine. I have DA10 Crank/Shifters with DA9 FrontDer/RearDer, 9SP Cassette and 9Sp chain. With a little adjustment it is as smooth as as silk. I'm saving up for the rest of the gruppo...

Originally posted by merubeyurubu
The you describe setup works just fine. I have DA10 Crank/Shifters with DA9 FrontDer/RearDer, 9SP Cassette and 9Sp chain. With a little adjustment it is as smooth as as silk. I'm saving up for the rest of the gruppo...

No issues with shifiting? As boudreaux was mentioning, there is a difference with cog spacing.

Isn't that difference accounted for in the shifter, NOT the rear der? The rear der is just a spring loaded lever, it doesn't have detented positions.

Originally posted by mikem
Isn't that difference accounted for in the shifter, NOT the rear der? The rear der is just a spring loaded lever, it doesn't have detented positions.
Yeah, the shifter,but it can't account for differences in cog spacing.. The derailer throw ratios are the same. The shifter pulls a shorter amount of cable for 10 speed than for 9. This is not rocket science folks.

I understand where you're coming from, but yet, merubeyurubu above did it?