Dura Ace 10 speed

Bernd Muent

Guest
Hi, I'm just deciding to buy a Campagnolo Record or a Shimano Dura Ace set. Shimano has 9 speed,
Campagnolo 10 speed. Looking at the trek website, they say that Lance Armstrong used a 10 speed Dura
Ace. So: Has anybody any information if it is possible to buy this product or when it will be
available for "normal" customers?

Greetings, Bernd

--
BM Computer-Services, Bergmannstr. 66, 10961 Berlin Webdesign, Internet, Layout und Grafik Tel.:
030/20649400, mobil 0175/7419517, Fax: 030/20649401 Web: http://www.bmservices.de, eMail:

"Bernd Muent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I'm just deciding to buy a Campagnolo Record or a Shimano Dura Ace set. Shimano has 9 speed,
> Campagnolo 10 speed. Looking at the trek website, they say that Lance Armstrong used a 10 speed
> Dura Ace. So: Has anybody any information if it is possible to buy this product or when it will be
> available for "normal" customers?
>
> Greetings, Bernd
>
> --
> BM Computer-Services, Bergmannstr. 66, 10961 Berlin Webdesign, Internet, Layout und Grafik Tel.:
> 030/20649400, mobil 0175/7419517, Fax: 030/20649401 Web: http://www.bmservices.de, eMail:
> [email protected]

Available soon as far as I am aware, I have used 9 speed Dura-Ace for a few years and has been a
joy to use. I've got to say however that having seen the photographs and reviews of the new 10
speed Dura-Ace I am inclined to try out Campagnolo Record the next time round.

Graham

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Bernd Muent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi, I'm just deciding to buy a Campagnolo Record or a Shimano Dura Ace set. Shimano has 9 speed,
> > Campagnolo 10 speed. Looking at the trek website, they say that Lance Armstrong used a 10 speed
> > Dura Ace. So: Has anybody any information if it is possible to buy this product or when it will
> > be available for "normal" customers?
> >
> > Greetings, Bernd
> >
> > --
> > BM Computer-Services, Bergmannstr. 66, 10961 Berlin Webdesign, Internet, Layout und Grafik Tel.:
> > 030/20649400, mobil 0175/7419517, Fax: 030/20649401 Web: http://www.bmservices.de, eMail:
> > [email protected]
> >
> Available soon as far as I am aware, I have used 9 speed Dura-Ace for a few years and has been
> a joy to use. I've got to say however that having seen the photographs and reviews of the new
> 10 speed Dura-Ace I am
inclined
> to try out Campagnolo Record the next time round.
>
> Graham
>
>The Dura Ace 10-speed components will start shipping in mid-September
according to Shimano.

Bernd-<< So: Has anybody any information if it is possible to buy this product or when it will be
available for "normal" customers? >><BR><BR>

Available about November or so, introduced at Interbike in October. Mostly just re-hashed DA 9s with
a cog. New crank/BB design. Much more expensive, a little lighter. Pretty much a yamner, IMO. Less
titanium than DA 9s, more aluminum, plastic.

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:52:46 +0200, Bernd Muent <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, I'm just deciding to buy a Campagnolo Record or a Shimano Dura Ace set. Shimano has 9 speed,
>Campagnolo 10 speed. Looking at the trek website, they say that Lance Armstrong used a 10 speed
>Dura Ace. So: Has anybody any information if it is possible to buy this product or when it will be
>available for "normal" customers?
>
>Greetings, Bernd

The new DA 10 sp STI will be $350

10 sp Cogsets $150

I also saw some of the other prices. look sleek but may cost more than Campy record.

Dave Lettieri FasTrack Bicycles 118 W. Canon Perdido Santa Barbara, CA 93101 805-884-0210
775-248-7632 Fax 805-680-7094 Cell

www.fastrackbicycles.com

Dave-<< The new DA 10 sp STI will be $350

10 sp Cogsets $150

I also saw some of the other prices. look sleek but may cost more than Campy record. >><BR><BR>

Crank/BB-$400, brakeset-$175, it's a gonna be pricey!!

>The new DA 10 sp STI will be $350 10 sp Cogsets $150

Ouch! I wonder if the prices will drop, like 9spd prices did after their introduction.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

> Bernd-<< So: Has anybody any information if it is possible to buy this
product
> or when it will be available for "normal" customers? >><BR><BR>
>
> Available about November or so, introduced at Interbike in October. Mostly
just
> re-hashed DA 9s with a cog. New crank/BB design. Much more expensive, a
little
> lighter. Pretty much a yamner, IMO. Less titanium than DA 9s, more
aluminum,
> plastic.

Lessee... New crank/bb design, F/R derailleurs, hubs, calipers, brifters, cogset, uh... Certainly
fair to criticize the design and/or changes to the group; people certainly haven't been shy about
the aesthetics/pricing of it, for example - but just re-hashed DA-9s? I don't think so. What would
constitute real change if this is not? Short of electronics... ;-)

"Bernd Muent" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I'm just deciding to buy a Campagnolo Record or a Shimano Dura Ace set. Shimano has 9 speed,
> > Campagnolo 10 speed. Looking at the trek website, they say that Lance Armstrong used a 10 speed
> > Dura Ace. So: Has anybody any information if it is possible to buy this product or when it will
> > be available for "normal" customers?

I've just received the most recent catalogue from Roseversand.de - they have DA10-speed-equipped
bicycles listed as available from the end of November, and components available from January 2004.
The components (7800 series) are listed on their website at:

http://www.roseversand.de

Prices are:

Cranks: 375 euros Brake callipers: 210 euros Hubs: 154 euros (rear); 95 euros (front) STI
levers: 359 euros Front derailleur: 77 euros Rear derailleur: 107 euros Cassette: 135 - 151
euros Pedals: 169 euros

I have no affiliation with Rose Versand.

James Thomson

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> About 1550 Euros, wha's that in 'old money'-dollars??

With the hole the US dollar's in? Call it three grand. ;o)

Just kidding. The current exchange rate is around 1.09 US dollars to the euro, so US$1650 give or
take. That's part-by-part, so there may be a discount for full groups, but no price is given.

James Thomson

> << Prices are:
>
> Cranks: 375 euros Brake callipers: 210 euros Hubs: 154 euros (rear); 95 euros (front) STI levers:
> 359 euros Front derailleur: 77 euros Rear derailleur: 107 euros Cassette: 135 - 151 euros Pedals:
> 169 euros >><BR><BR>
>

> About 1550 Euros, wha's that in 'old money'-dollars??

About the same, if not a little less in dollars. http://finance.yahoo.com/m5?a=1&s=USD&t=EUR

Mike

> << Prices are:
>
> Cranks: 375 euros Brake callipers: 210 euros Hubs: 154 euros (rear); 95 euros (front) STI levers:
> 359 euros Front derailleur: 77 euros Rear derailleur: 107 euros Cassette: 135 - 151 euros Pedals:
> 169 euros >><BR><BR>
>

> About 1550 Euros, wha's that in 'old money'-dollars??

Oops. Ran the converter backwards!

$1 Euro is $1.09 USD today

Mike

Please oh please do not flame me for this, but are downtube shifters included in the new 7800 stuff?

Dave

"onefred" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Please oh please do not flame me for this,

:eek:)

> but are downtube shifters included in the new 7800 stuff?

Yes they are. 59 euros, cables included.

James Thomson

Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] says...
>
> >The new DA 10 sp STI will be $350 10 sp Cogsets $150
>
> Ouch! I wonder if the prices will drop, like 9spd prices did after their introduction.

If sales are slow, prices will drop. Shimano do not base their retail prices on cost of manufacture,
but rather on what the market will bear. This pricing regime makes their top-shelf items the worst
value by far of their entire product line.

Something tells me that because the crankset now looks conspicuously unlike last year's, sales will
be brisk. "The best" from last year is by definition no longer "the best"! Consumer vanity must
account for most of the market for Dura Ace ('cause it sure as hell ain't bang per buck!), so highly
visible changes work in Brand S's favor.

Chalo Colina

I saw the latest "Cycle Sport" mag states that the new DA 10s is "arguably" (please note arguably)
the most advanced road groupset for pros. Might not mean that it is best for consumers, but they are
usually a fairly objective magazine. I think technology wise it is right up there, and since
"rebuild-ability" is likely not a big issue for pros, they could be right. CS further states that
Shimano usually has very innovative design and engineering approaches using traditional aluminum,
while Campy will stick to a similar design (hence fewer compatibility issues) but try innovative
materials (carbon and Ti).

Just thought it was interesting...

From my viewpoint the crankset is the "hot" new item, along with the STI's, but in a lesser degree.
F/R derailleurs are improved, as are the brakes (apparently more power). I drool over the wheels
though. Seems to be back to higher spoke-count (stiffer?), but stuck with lower rotational weight by
placing nipples at the hubs. I have had very little problems with my 7701's though (195 lbs. rider)
and will likely not upgrade soon because of price... and just a humble attempt to curb my vanity by
not having the newest!

NOTE: One component that I am sold on by Campy, is the front derailleur - a Daytona 10s shifts
waaaaaayyy better than the DA 9s...

> Bernd-<< So: Has anybody any information if it is possible to buy this
product
> or when it will be available for "normal" customers? >><BR><BR>
>
> Available about November or so, introduced at Interbike in October. Mostly
just
> re-hashed DA 9s with a cog. New crank/BB design. Much more expensive, a
little
> lighter. Pretty much a yamner, IMO. Less titanium than DA 9s, more
aluminum,
> plastic.

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:52:46 +0200, Bernd Muent <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, I'm just deciding to buy a Campagnolo Record or a Shimano Dura Ace set. Shimano has 9 speed,
>Campagnolo 10 speed. Looking at the trek website, they say that Lance Armstrong used a 10 speed
>Dura Ace. So: Has anybody any information if it is possible to buy this product or when it will be
>available for "normal" customers?
>
>Greetings, Bernd

The new DA 10 sp STI will be $350

10 sp Cogsets $150

I also saw some of the other prices. look sleek but may cost more than Campy record.

Dave Lettieri FasTrack Bicycles 118 W. Canon Perdido Santa Barbara, CA 93101 805-884-0210
775-248-7632 Fax 805-680-7094 Cell

www.fastrackbicycles.com

> basjan-<< I saw the latest "Cycle Sport" mag states that the new DA 10s is "arguably" (please note
> arguably) the most advanced road groupset for pros.
>><BR><BR>
>
> Whatever do they base that on, advertising revenue paid to Cyclesport??

Again - just plain engineering improvements... like most people can recognize. Please note
"arguably"!!

> Do they mention the BB and brake problems??

No, they might if the problems actually pitch up, hopefully they sorted that out after the XTR BB
problems...

> basjan<< I drool over the wheels though. Seems to be back to higher spoke-count (stiffer?), but
> stuck with lower rotational weight
by
> placing nipples at the hubs. >><BR><BR>
>
> better convert to DA 10s then cuz ya can't put a 9s cogset on these new wheels..

True, but I can put the 10 on my 9s wheels, so I will be happy for a while.

> BTW, 'rotational weight' is an issue but is hardly measurable. The energy
> spin a heavy weight rim wheel is way less than .1% more than to spin a low weight rim..The so
> called flywheel effect is marketing 101.

Ride their 7701's, then ride a "regular" Open Pro type setup, and tell me you can't feel the
difference in spin-up, marketing is valid if I can feel it on the road...

basjan <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>BTW, 'rotational weight' is an issue but is hardly measurable. The energy to spin a heavy weight
>>rim wheel is way less than .1% more than to spin a low weight rim..The so called flywheel effect
>>is marketing 101.
>Ride their 7701's, then ride a "regular" Open Pro type setup, and tell me you can't feel the
>difference in spin-up,

But be careful not to arrange a blind test, otherwise you won't feel a thing.

"basjan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > BTW, 'rotational weight' is an issue but is hardly measurable. The
energy
> > spin a heavy weight rim wheel is way less than .1% more than to spin a
low
> > weight rim..The so called flywheel effect is marketing 101.
>
> Ride their 7701's, then ride a "regular" Open Pro type setup, and tell me you can't feel the
> difference in spin-up, marketing is valid if I can feel it on the road...

You must have forgotten you're talking to a bunch of scientists, engineers, and general tech-heads.
If this was a large room you'd be hearing lots of laughter!

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]