Dura Ace 10 Speed

Jason Jouet

Guest
Saw something on LanceArmstrong.com about Dura Ace 10. Anybody else have information?? Thanks, jason

rumor is that for 2004(to be introduced at Interbike 2003) is that DA and maybe ultegra will be
going to 10s or 11s. A local Div one racer said he saw it in their team van and it was 10s...but he
didn't count the cogs..

"Jason Jouet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Saw something on LanceArmstrong.com about Dura Ace 10. Anybody else have information??
> Thanks, jason

I'm wondering if the spacing is going to be similar as it is with the 9s... Can't be too much
different and still keep the same spacing.

Mike

ronald-<< What the hype of Shimano 10 speed, Campagnolo has it for years.

Same with triples..Campagnolo had for a long time, people 'noticed' when it came on ultegra and then
the 'not great DA' application...who knows. There is so much misinformation out there about
Camp-agnolo ...some view like black art or somethin'

I'm wondering if they will go with new hub design specs to make everyone who wants to upgrade have
to buy new wheels (or at least hubs) ala Campy a few years ago.

-B

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
> I'm wondering if they will go with new hub design specs to make everyone who wants to upgrade have
> to buy new wheels (or at least hubs) ala Campy a few years ago.

What are you talking about? Campy didn't change their hubs at all when they jumped to 10 speed.

Mark McMaster [email protected]

No, but if you wanted to use a Shimano compatible casette body, you were out of luck until
conversion casettes were released.

Mark McMaster <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
>> I'm wondering if they will go with new hub design specs to make everyone who wants to upgrade
>> have to buy new wheels (or at least hubs) ala Campy a few years ago.
>
> What are you talking about? Campy didn't change their hubs at all when they jumped to 10 speed.
>
> Mark McMaster [email protected]

in article [email protected], Boyd Speerschneider at [email protected]
wrote on 02/17/2003 04:40 PM:

> No, but if you wanted to use a Shimano compatible casette body, you were out of luck until
> conversion casettes were released.

If you wanted to use a Shimano compatible cassette body, you were out of luck when both Shimano and
Campagnolo were 8-speed as well.

> Mark McMaster <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
>>> I'm wondering if they will go with new hub design specs to make everyone who wants to upgrade
>>> have to buy new wheels (or at least hubs) ala Campy a few years ago.
>>
>> What are you talking about? Campy didn't change their hubs at all when they jumped to 10 speed.
>>
>> Mark McMaster [email protected]

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
> No, but if you wanted to use a Shimano compatible casette body, you were out of luck until
> conversion casettes were released.

I'm not sure what the complaint is. Are you asking Campagnolo to support forward and backward
compatibility with a competitors proprietary standard? As far as wheels and hubs, Campagnolo
supports a clear upgrade path from 8spd to 9spd (via swapping just the freehub body); and 9spd to
10spd (no change required). For example, my 1996 Scirroco wheels, which were originally 8spd, have
been retrofitted with a new freehub body and are now being used with stock 10spd cassette.

If you insist on mixing components between competitors, you are on your own. However, Campagnolo
actually does a better job at supporting Shimano standards than Shimano does at supporting
Campagnolo standards: Several Campagnolo wheels are available with a Shimano 8/9spd HG compatible
freehub body; and the Shimano 8/9spd HG compatible freehub body is available separately and can be
retro-fitted onto 9/10spd hubs (see: http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/campy.html#RearHubs).

"Brian Schlachta" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> My big question is, why do I need an 11 speed cassette? Do I really need a straight block
> 25-11?

11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21 would be an 11 speed "straight block". You'd have to call all the
way to 15 cogs to have an 11-25 w/o skipping a tooth.

Andy ("15-16-17-18-19") Coggan

I was joking about that, thinking about the future nuttyness

Andy Coggan wrote:

> "Brian Schlachta" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > My big question is, why do I need an 11 speed cassette? Do I really need a straight block
> > 25-11?
>
> 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21 would be an 11 speed "straight block". You'd have to call all the
> way to 15 cogs to have an 11-25 w/o skipping a tooth.
>
> Andy ("15-16-17-18-19") Coggan

Shimano just can't make cogs much thinner, shimano has to make new hub if they are going for 10. I don't know what happens to wheel rigidity after renewing rear hub??

holli-<< Shimano just can't make cogs much thinner, shimano has to make new hub if they are going
for 10. I don't know what happens to wheel rigidity after renewing rear hub??

Word is that the hub dimensions didn't change. perhaps the freehub got a wee bit taller buit it will
not make the built rear wheel any more unreliable than prsent shimano or Campagnolo, which isn't
unreliable due to dish.

holli wrote:
> Shimano just can't make cogs much thinner, shimano has to make new hub if they are going for 10.

Not necessarily. One option is to overhang the cassette pas the bottom of the splines (toward the
flange), much like Campagnolo did when they went for 9spd to 10spd.

The fact that there are several conversions cassettes available on the market that allow Campy
compatible 10spd shifting on a standard Shimano hub disproves that they will have to necessarily
change the hub.

Mark McMaster [email protected]