Dura Ace 10sp Chain on Campy 10sp... it Works!

Aztec

Jul 8, 2003
I bought a Wipperman 10x1 chain for my Campy Record/Chorus 10sp, and it seemed to have a ton of friction. Rather than mess with it, and make it unreturnable, I bought a D/A 10sp and threw it on instead. I think it's a little bit narrower than the Campy chain, and I've heard that others have used it w/ good results.

Well, it not only works, it works as good or better than the Campy chain. It definitely runs quieter, although maybe that's just because it's new.

Also, after assembling a bike for my wife this weekend with my spare parts, I found that the short cage Campy Veloce rear deraileur works just as well on a 29T rear cog as their medium cage deraileur. Campy says you need the medium cage, but I can tell you the short cage works just fine.

Originally posted by Aztec
I bought a Wipperman 10x1 chain for my Campy Record/Chorus 10sp, and it seemed to have a ton of friction. Rather than mess with it, and make it unreturnable, I bought a D/A 10sp and threw it on instead. I think it's a little bit narrower than the Campy chain, and I've heard that others have used it w/ good results.

Well, it not only works, it works as good or better than the Campy chain. It definitely runs quieter, although maybe that's just because it's new.

Also, after assembling a bike for my wife this weekend with my spare parts, I found that the short cage Campy Veloce rear deraileur works just as well on a 29T rear cog as their medium cage deraileur. Campy says you need the medium cage, but I can tell you the short cage works just fine.
How could you have installed a chain,and determined it had a ton of friction without making it unreturnaable??? Campy sez alot of stuff that if you go by it you won't go wrong,but it doesn't mean other ways won't work... There is no short cage in the recent campy lineup in centaur and below. They start with a medium and all are speced for a 29.

I stuck it on there, and without shortening it, it was a decent length when on the big ring and half up the cassette. I spun the crank, and dude, there was a lot of friction -- and noise on the cassette. I could've shortened it to make it fit perfect (and pull the deraileur arm down farther), but it didn't seem like that was the issue. Hey, I could be wrong, and for all I know, had done something dopey. This much I know... the D/A works great.

Now, does anyone make a quick connect link for the D/A 10sp? I'm not nuts about Shimano's method of using a guide pin that you snap off when you attach the chain.

Originally posted by boudreaux
There is no short cage in the recent campy lineup in centaur and below. They start with a medium and all are speced for a 29.

Maybe I've got my wires crossed but the Campy website seems to show short cage rear derailleurs in all their groupsets, including Centaur and below. And apparently, even the medium and long cage mechs in the 9-speed groups (Xenon/Mirage) are only specced for a 28-tooth sprocket.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
Maybe I've got my wires crossed but the Campy website seems to show short cage rear derailleurs in all their groupsets, including Centaur and below. And apparently, even the medium and long cage mechs in the 9-speed groups (Xenon/Mirage) are only specced for a 28-tooth sprocket.
Well, that differs from what is listed in their 01 and 03 catalogues and what's in the QBP.

Well, that differs from what is listed in their 01 and 03 catalogues and what's in the QBP.

Hmm, I have a 2003 short cage Centaur rear mech on my road bike. Variations in what they sell in different parts of the world, perhaps.

Hmm, I have a 2003 short cage Centaur rear mech on my road bike. Variations in what they sell in different parts of the world, perhaps.
Check the pulley spacing.The short is about 56mm and the long about 73mm.

Check the pulley spacing.The short is about 56mm and the long about 73mm.

I make it about 54mm, i.e. short; the bike is a 2003 model and I bought it brand new. FWIW, I've seen plenty of short-cage (they look the same as mine, anyway) Centaur and Veloce RDs on bikes at my LBS, all 2003/2004 stock. I guess they just distribute different stuff to different places.

I make it about 54mm, i.e. short; the bike is a 2003 model and I bought it brand new. FWIW, I've seen plenty of short-cage (they look the same as mine, anyway) Centaur and Veloce RDs on bikes at my LBS, all 2003/2004 stock. I guess they just distribute different stuff to different places.
How about that.

I have the Wipperman quick disconnect on my Campy 10 spd chain: no problems. It might also work with a Shimano chain.