Dura Ace 39 Chain Ring Sounds Dry

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rrgmrg

My small chain ring (DA 7700 39/53 cranks, DA chain) has always sounded and felt dry to me, even
with a freshly cleaned and lubed chain. I noticed this phenomena on a previous bike that I had also.
That is one of the reasons that I am considering a change to Campy . Has anyone else noticed this
problem or is it just me?

Thanks,

Randy

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>
>My small chain ring (DA 7700 39/53 cranks, DA chain) has always sounded and felt dry to me, even
>with a freshly cleaned and lubed chain. I noticed this phenomena on a previous bike that I had
>also. That is one of the reasons that I am considering a change to Campy . Has anyone else noticed
>this problem or is it just me?

Why would anyone care what their chainring sounds like? A wet chainring is not going to help you. No
lube is needed on a chainring. If anything, all it would do is attract dirt.
----------------
Alex

Alex, I am not suggesting that I need to lube my chain ring. My point is that to me, it has always
seemed to me that the small DA chain ring is poorly designed. It just doesn't seem to mesh well with
the chain.as evidenced by the fact that it always sounds as if the chain needs to be lubed. When I
shift back to the 53, the sound goes away. I sit because the small ring is made out of a different
material ?

> When I shift back to the 53, the sound goes away. I sit because the small ring is made out of a
> different material ?

No.

It might be because it is smaller. It might also be that you spend a lot more time at high power in
the small ring and it's wearing out faster than the big ring.

JT

--
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

Status
Not open for further replies.