Dura-Ace 7800 Brakes

pmujim

Mar 1, 2007
Does anyone have experience with the Dura-Ace 7800 brakeset vs. Ultegra (or less)? I have stock brakes on my Giant TCR Limited and I'm looking to upgrade. I've changed pads and wheels and they just don't seem to grip like they should.

Any thoughts?

what are the stock brakes?

Ultegra, 105 and Dura-Ace are just as good as each other, but the 'better' ones are slightly lighter.

531Aussie said:
what are the stock brakes?

Ultegra, 105 and Dura-Ace are just as good as each other, but the 'better' ones are slightly lighter.
The stock brakes are black with no name. And with the complete understanding that 105-Dura-Ace function similarly, I do like the bling factor of the higher end brakes, and I have also looking into carbon calipers, but was somewhat turned off by the price level for comparable performance.

Ideally looking for something that feels solid when stopping. I live/ride mostly in Manhattan so you never know when you need to jam on the brakes for a runaway baby stroller or unattentive jogger.

yeah, the most important bling parts are the cranks and brakes, then the levers, then the derailleurs. :) I don't blame ya, but the price of Dura-Ace over Ultegra is a bit of a jump.

I've gotta say, I'm a Shimano guy with 4 sets of Dura-Ace brakes on 4 bikes, but I recently rode a bike with 10sp Centaur stuff, and was pretty amazed at how good the brakes were! WOW! I dunno if it was the pads or the Zonda braking surface, but crikey! :)

A friend of mine had a Gitane with mostly 105, but had Tektro brake calipers which weren't too good, so you'll probably notice some difference.

531Aussie said:
yeah, the most important bling parts are the cranks and brakes, then the levers, then the derailleurs. :) I don't blame ya, but the price of Dura-Ace over Ultegra is a bit of a jump.

I've gotta say, I'm a Shimano guy with 4 sets of Dura-Ace brakes on 4 bikes, but I recently rode a bike with 10sp Centaur stuff, and was pretty amazed at how good the brakes were! WOW! I dunno if it was the pads or the Zonda braking surface, but crikey! :)

A friend of mine had a Gitane with mostly 105, but had Tektro brake calipers which weren't too good, so you'll probably notice some difference.
That's acceptable. I think I'll go with the Dura-Ace. I just picked up some Ksyrium SL's and I've just had on basic Shimano brake pads. It has been recommended that I try some Koolstop pads but I think it'd just rather get new calipers.

Now that you mention Tektro, I believe that is what is on there now. I had ridden by buddy's Seven which had some carbon calipers and they were super impressive, but if the performance at the higher level is about par then I think I can personally shed those extra 30 grams that I'd save rather than shell out another $200 a caliper.

Thanks for the info.

For performance Koolstop pads are a fairly good bang-for-the-buck upgade... but don't expect anything huge vs. the DA/ultegra performance.

RC2 said:
For performance Koolstop pads are a fairly good bang-for-the-buck upgade... but don't expect anything huge vs. the DA/ultegra performance.
I just ordered the Dura-Ace brakes... I couldn't wait any longer. Performance here I come.

Wouldn't they strip your bike of parts if you locked it up in Manhatten ?

JTE83 said:
Wouldn't they strip your bike of parts if you locked it up in Manhatten ?
While almost 100% guaranteed, I never let my bike leave my side while I am out with it. I don't do casual rides to the grocery store or anything, just ride to rack up miles.

pmujim said:
While almost 100% guaranteed, I never let my bike leave my side while I am out with it. I don't do casual rides to the grocery store or anything, just ride to rack up miles.
They arrived and I was out last night putting on a few miles. I will say, they are a significant improvement over my old 'generic' brakes. I definitely would recommend them if you're looking to upgrade, I am thoroughly impressed. And at this moment, they are on sale at performancebike.com

pmujim said:
It has been recommended that I try some Koolstop pads but I think I'd just rather get new calipers.
I don't want to spoil the party, but I imagine that this would have given you the same improvement at much lower cost.

artemidorus said:
I don't want to spoil the party, but I imagine that this would have given you the same improvement at much lower cost.
True, but I like the bling factor.

531Aussie said:

I have dura ace on one bike and Chorus on another. The Campy brakes have a nicer modulation and im sure are stronger. But would they work on a bike if you dont have campy levers for the quick release!

Fignon le Grand said:
I have dura ace on one bike and Chorus on another. The Campy brakes have a nicer modulation and im sure are stronger. But would they work on a bike if you dont have campy levers for the quick release!

Yeah, they'd work. You'd just have to use the barrel adjuster to accomodate wheel removal.

Oh boy...brakes, my favorite subject. Whoohoo! Have several sets, way too many in fact. The new DA 7800 are the best brakes Shimano has made in many years. Buy them and install, then enjoy. Wonderful brakes. However, have to agree with Fignon le Grand, the Campy Records do have a bit better modulation, they also cost more. That said, let your budget be your guide, I ride with both.

Now, what about the others? Have tried and used just about everything made in the past 30 years and still have them and they are on various bikes or waiting to be installed again just for fun. Favorites are the Campy Record or Chorus with dual pivot on both front and rear. After that comes the new DA 7800, then the older Ultegra without the spherical washers to permit slant adjustments of the shoes (very stiff arms). Personal opinion: although the new Campy Records stop well, I think the newer ones with the single pivot rear was a mistake, tried it liked it, but the rear was as tricky to adjust as the old single pivot (it stops well, but why did you do this Campagnolo?).

On to the older brakes....favorites are old single Pivot Campy Record and Super Record (extremely strong and vibration free) and the Chorus Monoplaners, if you can find them. The Monoplaners are extremely strong and powerful brakes--they require a grip strength that would make Arnold Schwarzenegger blush, but they do stop very well and have that "Bling" factor that is so prized by cognoscenti everywhere--it's that right caliper arm going thru the left caliper arm that has that affect on people. I would avoid anything by Shimano that goes back 20 years or so (I had a set of DA that failed due to metal fatigue), but still think the older Sun Tour stuff was pretty darn good.

On the older Campy brakes, the brake shoes can be set for toe. The brake block fixing bolt moves around inside the holder and this allows a wedge to be bolted between the brake shoe holder and the caliper arm so that toe can be set. Make the wedge out of folded tinfoil and tighten the bolt--it's that simple.

Sorry, hope this wasn't a rant.

Fignon le Grand said:
Do you have identical pads on each?