Dura-Ace 7800 STI levers

riceman

Sep 22, 2006
Hello All

After saving for a few months I finally got enough money together to buy some upgrades for my ride which I really wanted. I upgraded my Crank,Bottom Bracket,Brakes,Front/Rear Derailleur,Chain from Shimano 105 to Dura Ace 7800. couldnt stretch for the Dura-Ace 7800 STI levers .

My question is. Are the Dura-Ace 7800 STI levers much better than the Shimano 105 ST5600 STI levers?
Would i feel the difference changing gear? Is it really worth stretching for them as they are not cheap?:confused::rolleyes:

I've riden with old 9speed Simano 105's and earlyer 10speed systems ... there is a major diference in quality and ergonomics between them, I'd recommend the upgrade anytime.

However I can't see much diference amongst the 10speed systems 105, Ultegra and Durace ... they all look pretty much the same to me, except maybe Ultegra and Durace look a little more rigid (can be me imagining it) ... but I guess you can't go much wrong picking 105 or Ultegra and saving some bucks.

riceman said:
Hello All

After saving for a few months I finally got enough money together to buy some upgrades for my ride which I really wanted. I upgraded my Crank,Bottom Bracket,Brakes,Front/Rear Derailleur,Chain from Shimano 105 to Dura Ace 7800. couldnt stretch for the Dura-Ace 7800 STI levers .

My question is. Are the Dura-Ace 7800 STI levers much better than the Shimano 105 ST5600 STI levers?
Would i feel the difference changing gear? Is it really worth stretching for them as they are not cheap?:confused::rolleyes:
The only things that you've mentioned that would have been worth upgrading are: cranks, and shifters. Maybe the brakes could be justified if you're really well heeled.

Everything else simply shaves a few grams without really adding much other than cost.

FWIW, the general consensus is that the difference between the DA and 105 shifters is pretty small to justify the price difference. Maybe the DA will have a slightly cleaner and crisper feeling shift, but the 105 does perfectly well if set up properly.

IMHO, if you blindfolded 10 cyclists and asked them to test the DA/105 shifters for feel, maybe 7 or 8 of them wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

n

I have both a 10 speed Ultegra (2005) and 10 speed DA (2007). I can't possibly tell the difference between them. They both shift fantastically. Go for the cheaper 105 or Ultegra.

nerdag said:
IMHO, if you blindfolded 10 cyclists and asked them to test the DA/105 shifters for feel, maybe 7 or 8 of them wouldn't be able to tell the deference
That might only depend on experience....fifteen years ago I could not, now I can.