Dura Ace 7800 vs 7801 chain

I'm going to use a 10 speed Dura Ace cassette with my Campy set
up...any difference in the Shimano 7800 chain vs the 7801 chain or is
just the good ole' marketing ploy? I read back in a eariler thread that
its best to use a Shimano chain rather than a Campy or Wipperman 10
speed chain for Shimano 10 speed cassettes..just wanted to know if 7801
or 7800 would work fine. The cassette I have is a 2006 Dura ace
cassette.

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm going to use a 10 speed Dura Ace cassette with my Campy set
> up...any difference in the Shimano 7800 chain vs the 7801 chain or is
> just the good ole' marketing ploy? I read back in a eariler thread that
> its best to use a Shimano chain rather than a Campy or Wipperman 10
> speed chain for Shimano 10 speed cassettes..just wanted to know if 7801
> or 7800 would work fine. The cassette I have is a 2006 Dura ace
> cassette.

Any 5.9mm chain, like now Campagnolo...Record, Chorus or Veloce.

> I'm going to use a 10 speed Dura Ace cassette with my Campy set
> up...any difference in the Shimano 7800 chain vs the 7801 chain or is
> just the good ole' marketing ploy? I read back in a eariler thread that
> its best to use a Shimano chain rather than a Campy or Wipperman 10
> speed chain for Shimano 10 speed cassettes..just wanted to know if 7801
> or 7800 would work fine. The cassette I have is a 2006 Dura ace
> cassette.

You can use either a 7800 or 7801, but theoretically, a 7801 holds the
sidelinks more securely so it's less likely to break. If you want to save
some $$$ use the ultegra version.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

news:[email protected]...

On 20 Mar 2006 16:59:38 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>I'm going to use a 10 speed Dura Ace cassette with my Campy set
>up...any difference in the Shimano 7800 chain vs the 7801 chain

The difference is the pin used to assemble. Use a removable link in
any case. My preference is any Connex 10 sp link. The Sram Powerlink
II Gold, a 9sp link works fine and is more available as a separate
part.