Dura ace 7900 chain and FSA crank

Curb

Oct 24, 2007
Hi, I am up grading some component on my 2013 Cannondale Caad 10. It's a new frame with a new FSA SL-K light crank 53-39t I will be adding: Shimano DuraAce 7900 shifters Shimano Dura Ace RD-7900 Rear Derailleur Shimano Dura-Ace FD-7900 Front Derailleur Shimano dura-ace brakes Shimano Dura-Ace FD-7900 chain set Can some please answer this question for me? Will the Shimano 7900 chain work properly with the FSA SL-K light crank 53-39t? I can't seems to get a firm answer. I am sure someone here has ran across this issue/question. Appreciate it. Thanks

Originally Posted by Curb

Hi, I am up grading some component on my 2013 Cannondale Caad 10.
It's a new frame with a new FSA SL-K light crank 53-39t

I will be adding:

Shimano DuraAce 7900 shifters
Shimano Dura Ace RD-7900 Rear Derailleur
Shimano Dura-Ace FD-7900 Front Derailleur
Shimano dura-ace brakes
Shimano Dura-Ace FD-7900 chain set

Can some please answer this question for me?

Will the Shimano 7900 chain work properly with the FSA SL-K light crank 53-39t?

I can't seems to get a firm answer.
I am sure someone here has ran across this issue/question.

Appreciate it.
Thanks
If you are truly concerned about compatibility of new components with your FSA crankset, then upgrade to Campagnolo components.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the durace 10 speed components are on sale all over the place, even cheaper than the ultegra components. The 11 speed components is a marketing scam for the consumers. Oh, btw, I have campy ultra drive on my BMC bike.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the durace 10 speed components are on sale all over the place, even cheaper than the ultegra components. The 11 speed components is a marketing scam for the consumers. Oh, btw, I have campy ultra drive on my BMC bike.
Well, if you insist on getting the DA 7900 components then you should just wait-and-see how well-or-poorly you feel the FSA outer chainring responds to the 7900 shifter/front-derailleur/chain ...

To state the obvious, the chainrings for the 7900 crankset are going to be really expensive to replace when the time comes ...

If you feel that shifting on the FSA crank is balky, then get an older, 'flat', DA 7800 chainring (or, Ultegra equivalent!!!) to use with your FSA crankset OR you can simply pony up for one of the new Shimano cranksets.

Will the Shimano 7900 chain work properly with the FSA SL-K light crank 53-39t?
Shimano's last 10-speed generation directional chains were optimized for optimum performance with 7900 and 6700 cranksets. Your 7900 chain should work well enough with FSA, not as well as with a 7900 crankset, but well enough. With double chainrings and the correct shifters, Shimano and SRAM 10-speed chains are pretty interchangeable using FSA, Shimano, and SRAM cranks. They all work; some combinations are just better than others.

It that leaves you dissatisfied, try an older 7800 chain. In the scheme of things chains are cheap enough for experimentation and sub-optimal performance is still pretty damned excellent.

Oh boy, you guys just planted doubtful seed in my mind. That's s $500 crankset. And I was hoping that I was in the clear if I purchase all the top level shamino components. So, will a 7900 shamino chain ring fit on that fsa crank? I am taking the bike to my LBS this weekend to have the 7900 parts installed. Looks like I made a small error purchasing that fsa crankset. But thanks guys for the info, at least now I know and know what to expect. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Oh boy, you guys just planted doubtful seed in my mind. That's s $500 crankset. And I was hoping that I was in the clear if I purchase all the top level shamino components.

So, will a 7900 shamino chain ring fit on that fsa crank?

I am taking the bike to my LBS this weekend to have the 7900 parts installed.

Looks like I made a small error purchasing that fsa crankset.

But thanks guys for the info, at least now I know and know what to expect.

Any other suggestions are welcome.
FWIW. Well, 'I' think that your "small error" is thinking that the DA 7900 components will work better than your Campagnolo components ... or, almost any post-2000 Campagnolo configuration if they are set up properly ...

I guess the questions are:

"WHICH shifters does your BMC have?"

"WHAT are you finding unsatisfactory about your Campagnolo configuration?"

With THAT out of the way ...

You can certainly mount 7900 chainrings on your FSA crankset, but they will probably look a bit peculiar because the mounting tabs of the outer 7900 chainring are contoured (i.e., "hollow") to match the spider, and vice-versa.

BTW. I think that you can buy a lightly used 7900 crankset off of eBay for under $200 without too much effort ...

BUT, if you are going for a crank with proprietary chainrings (not a particularly good idea, IMO) AND are inclined to paying anything approaching $500, then you may as well opt for the 4-arm 9000 crankset!

There are thousands of road bikes sold every year that have partial Ultegra groups paired with FSA mid and top-line cranksets. The combination of Dura-Ace and FSA will function just fine. The chains they slap on those bikes runs the spectrum from KMC to shimaNO's every model.

As OBC stated, a pure Dura-Ace group will yield 'better' front shifting, but the difference isn't like jumping off a 1972 Huret Alvit and onto Super Record EPS.

And that makes sense. Ive seen hundreds of bike with all kinds of configurations and FSA makes about 8 Cranks. I dont think FSA company is that dumb to make these cranks without checking out what would work. I'll bet if you got a good tech, he will get it right for the money! Im on my own on this. I'll find out Saturday when I take it to the shop for the upgrade and see wht the lbs says.

[ATTACHMENT=512]image.jpg (1,845k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]I on the BMC I have the 10 Speed record ultra torque qt group. Absolutely fantastic and i am not going to change that. It works like a swiss clock and looks good on this bike on the cannondale, I had an old 9 speed durace group on an old trek 5500. I had lbs transfer those old durace parts over to the new cannondale. see picture. I figure I would do a little up grade and was going to go shaminoo again on the Cannondale. But the lbs sold me the FSA crank and did not warn me about what you guys are now telling me. So thats the story in a nut shell. So Now I have to decide if I want to buy a 7900 crank set new or on ebay.. But here is what the bike currently look like. I've seen about a dozen of this same bike on the internet with the same shamino 7900 group with the FSA light crank. That fsa and shank 7900 set up must work for all those other people!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB

As OBC stated, a pure Dura-Ace group will yield 'better' front shifting, but the difference isn't like jumping off a 1972 Huret Alvit and onto Super Record EPS.
That's an excellent way of putting it.

1972 Huret Alvit--eww. Drives home the point.

The difference between analog and digital shifting was never better quantified!
big-smile.png

I ride with guys that use SRAM and Shimano and one dude that's hung up on Token. All of it seems to work well. Some run pure groups and some use FSA cranks or some off beat combo of left over gear from other builds. Other than oddball graunch shifts that are more likely caused by forcing, filth, poor adjustment, worn components (or some combination of the aforementioned) I am amazed at how well derailleurs/shifters/drive lines function.

So Campy Bob, basicallly you are saying just go with my build and make sure things are properly adjusted. I setting here thinking, I am a 55 year old guy thats in decent shape, howerver, during most of my training rides by myself, I'm rarely up on the large chain ring anyway. Who am I kidding, as long as the 32 tooth ring gear and the cassette is shifting smoothly, and that front deralier gets that chain upon the large ring when I need it to, what the hell right? I'm not going to waste anymore money changing over a new FSA crank to an expensive Durace just so the front derailer climbs up on a large ring a tiny bit more smoothy using a durace 7900 crank. This Thread is done! I want to think all you guys that have gave me some good advice on this subject. Best Regards!!!!

Curb,

I have an older cannondale caad10 with the same FSA chain rings - the 7900 or 7901 works better than you had orginally

I have used the 7901 and just ordered another 2

Carmelo, thanks, got the bike back yesterday, I went all out with durace 7900 everything - shift great. Need to do something with the Mavic ksyrium SL.they make the ride a little stiff , but not overly stiff. Can't compare this to my BMC Promachine! Was thinking about a pair of carbon clinchers. What are you running on your Caad or any suggestions?

Hello Curb,

I'm using mavic kysrium elites - much softer ride than the "faster, stiffer" SL's. I recommend carbon handlebars - changed my ride to a much more pleasant ride. I think there has to be a trade-off between speed and comfort - if I'm not comfortable then I can't ride long or fast anyway. Where did you find the Dura Ace stuff on "sale" cheaper than Ultegra? - I need to change my drive train because it's worn, so this info. would be great. Thank you.

I got the durace stuff in pieces, different place or online stores, including amazon. For example, I found this online bike store selling the durace replacement shifters for about 250. They were new but no boxes. But the real durace shifters with serial numbers and a regular box. If you want to buy a partial kit, go to excel sports. They have a reasonable price. The durace group on my bike shift and ride nice and looks good!