Dura Ace 7900 levers on Camag calipers

nurul

Jan 4, 2004
They said it couldn't be done cos of different "pull rates". The braking on my 7900 levers with 2004 pre skeletal centaur calipers is powerful and progressive.
The 2008 Record Ergo levers on my chorus pre skeletal calipers is very good on the front but rubbish on the rear. The braking is non-descript and then locks up depsite after market pads and decent rim quality.Duuhhhhh...wonder what DA calipers are like???
SO much for the so-called "pull rate" issue.

nurul said:
They said it couldn't be done cos of different "pull rates". The braking on my 7900 levers with 2004 pre skeletal centaur calipers is powerful and progressive.
The 2008 Record Ergo levers on my chorus pre skeletal calipers is very good on the front but rubbish on the rear. The braking is non-descript and then locks up depsite after market pads and decent rim quality.Duuhhhhh...wonder what DA calipers are like???
SO much for the so-called "pull rate" issue.

What was said and what shimano says is 7900 levers with 7800 calipers and vice versa. shimano didn't realy address 7900 levers and Campagnolo calipers(imagine!!)With things like Campagnolo ERGO 10s and sram deraileurs working, not surprised 7900 and Campagnolo calipers working well.

Setup on brakes means a lot. Most say(without any knowledge whatsoever)that Deltas work like ****. My Deltas work great, Stop well, are progressive, strong. Like front derailleur setup, depends a lot on the wrench.

Peter@vecchios said:
What was said and what shimano says is 7900 levers with 7800 calipers and vice versa. shimano didn't realy address 7900 levers and Campagnolo calipers(imagine!!)With things like Campagnolo ERGO 10s and sram deraileurs working, not surprised 7900 and Campagnolo calipers working well.

Setup on brakes means a lot. Most say(without any knowledge whatsoever)that Deltas work like ****. My Deltas work great, Stop well, are progressive, strong. Like front derailleur setup, depends a lot on the wrench.

My chorus calipers are from the first generation 10spd range in 2000. Great calipers to look at but the back just locks up at the wrong moment. Have tried differrent rims, pads, weather cndts,roads but to no avail. Even chanegd cables, clean calipers etc. The front caliper has always worked well.

nurul said:
My chorus calipers are from the first generation 10spd range in 2000. Great calipers to look at but the back just locks up at the wrong moment. Have tried differrent rims, pads, weather cndts,roads but to no avail. Even chanegd cables, clean calipers etc. The front caliper has always worked well.
The back tire tends to lock up for everyone due to weight transfer in heavy or panic braking regardless of the brands of levers/calipers/pads used. Being from Spain, you likely have seen moto road racing where the pro's will have the back tire bouncing off the track on limit braking before the turns. At that max braking point, basically the entire weight of the rider and bike is on the front wheel.

Different pads and rims may give more progressive control, but the rear wheel will still lock if you grab a big double handful of brakes. Sliding backwards off the seat to reduce weight transfer under heavy braking will delay or prevent the lockup and give the fastest stop. Trying to "finesse" the rear brake to keep the rear from locking in a panic situation is difficult....as I'm sure you've learned already :)

Been running dura ace 7800 with 7900 levers since March. Whilst I haven't done massive mileage, and while it is my second bike, training bike and winter bike, I have logged enough kms to give an assessment.
I am still having problems with the left hand lever when operating the front mech. It requires near incredible hulk force to shift to the big ring. LBS says that I should install a 7900 front mech or a 6700 but my colleagues who have the same combo have not complained about the same problem.
Refuse to fork out a cent more until the problem is solved by LBS.
Second issue is that it is only possible to downshift 2 cogs at a time whereas with DA7800 it was 3 at a time. Campy is about 5 if I remember correctly from my race bike. OK I can deal with 3 but it would be interesting to know why Shimano decided to restrict this on a newer "better" group.
( t is worth pointing out that I am running a pair of 09 Mavic Cosmic Carbo SL with an incredible aluminium surface which goes on to the next point>>
Braking is just not what I expected. Compared to others with their 7800 it comes nowhere near. Have tried it with HED wheels to with equally excellent surface and no joy so have had to fit swiss Kool Stop green pads. Braking is better but still not what I expected compared to colleagues' bikes.
I wish Shimano would introduce a group called 7850 with the best of both worlds: carbon levers with hidden cables, compact silver crankset, ability to shift 3 or even 4 sprockets at once, an extra click or two on the lever for front trim, and the possibility are having the new calipers in silver or at least a choice and even better, backwards compatibility like with 6700. Here in Barcelona where road riding is so popular, people have not come to terms with Campy 11spd or even DA7900. I have spoken to a lot of people on and off the bike and they are simply indifferent to the 2009 changes. Come on Campy and Shimano, you misjudged the market and we are in a world recession remember. I would love to see your sales figures for 2009.

I put together a new bike around march-april last year. It is an all Ultegra 6600 I think, I haven't done a lot of mileage and basically has been on flat going uphill every now and then.
This week the last stages of "La Vuelta Ciclística a Costa Rica" were taking place. On the 24th of december there was a chrono escalation so I went there to watch them, incredible how easy to escalate they make that hills look. I went there on this bike this weekend it was hard but also when I was going down those brakes really impressed and surprised:eek: me! I was going close to 90kph and catched up with some cars, I had to break but these ones really break! I didn't need much force to feel the breaking power a little more and I would have been thrown off the bike! Didn't lock the rear tire since I pushed my body back but great breaking power with little effort and good modulation once I got aware of how easy they could stop. My old brakes were 105s, old 105 and difference is very noticeable.
Brake levers, calipers and pads are the original Ultegras, the wheels are Mavic Aksiums.
So I guess Dura Ace should break at least as good, could they be better?

nurul said:
Been running dura ace 7800 with 7900 levers since March. Whilst I haven't done massive mileage, and while it is my second bike, training bike and winter bike, I have logged enough kms to give an assessment.
I am still having problems with the left hand lever when operating the front mech. It requires near incredible hulk force to shift to the big ring. LBS says that I should install a 7900 front mech or a 6700 but my colleagues who have the same combo have not complained about the same problem.
Refuse to fork out a cent more until the problem is solved by LBS.
Second issue is that it is only possible to downshift 2 cogs at a time whereas with DA7800 it was 3 at a time. Campy is about 5 if I remember correctly from my race bike. OK I can deal with 3 but it would be interesting to know why Shimano decided to restrict this on a newer "better" group.
( t is worth pointing out that I am running a pair of 09 Mavic Cosmic Carbo SL with an incredible aluminium surface which goes on to the next point>>
Braking is just not what I expected. Compared to others with their 7800 it comes nowhere near. Have tried it with HED wheels to with equally excellent surface and no joy so have had to fit swiss Kool Stop green pads. Braking is better but still not what I expected compared to colleagues' bikes.
I wish Shimano would introduce a group called 7850 with the best of both worlds: carbon levers with hidden cables, compact silver crankset, ability to shift 3 or even 4 sprockets at once, an extra click or two on the lever for front trim, and the possibility are having the new calipers in silver or at least a choice and even better, backwards compatibility like with 6700. Here in Barcelona where road riding is so popular, people have not come to terms with Campy 11spd or even DA7900. I have spoken to a lot of people on and off the bike and they are simply indifferent to the 2009 changes. Come on Campy and Shimano, you misjudged the market and we are in a world recession remember. I would love to see your sales figures for 2009.

What is happening in Barcelona does not the world market make. 2009 Campagnolo is selling briskly here in the republic along with sram(who knows why). Di2 sells better than 7900 it seems but 7900 and 6700 are great groups. AND use a FD that is designed for the lever, 6700 or 7900.