Dura Ace 7900 problem revisited

Desertrider 119

Jan 5, 2011
Greetings to all. I'm new to the board and found that in the past there had been quite a discussion about Dura Ace 7900 shifter problems. I have a 2 month old Specialized Roubaix DA Pro. All went well for about a month but now the right shifter has started giving me problems. It will shift into a lower gear perfectly, but when I try to shift into a higher gear, sometimes in inner lever will pivot almost 90 degrees and not shift. The first time it did this I thought the cable broke. I've checked the cable in it moves freely. Is this the rachet problem that I read in the older posts? My nearest dealer is about 100 miles from our home and I just want to make sure I've done all I can before I make the treck to get it fixed.

Thank in Advance
Desert Rider

At two months old I would think that it is simply a matter of the cables stretching and now having too much slack in them. Have you had the bike tuned up/adjusted at all since purchasing it?

Edit: My mistake, I read your post wrong. Stretched cables would cause the opposite of your problem.

I called Shimano in Irvine California and talked to them about the problem. They were great. Apparantly they are having problems with the rachet and immediately offered to replace the shifter. They offered to send me the shifter or ship to the dealer. My dealer received it yesterday and it will be replaced today..

Shimano has great customer service. Now if it were a SRAM, you would still be fighting with them, and if it had been Campy you wouldn't have had the problem in the first place.

I agee with the Campy comment, but unfortunately when I ordered the Roubaix in October, if ordered a frame set and Campy record set and everything else ,seat, bars ect it would have cost almost $1400 more. I had a hard time of the Dura Ace model and couldn't bring myself to go the extra $1400.