Dura Ace 8/9 Speed Compatibility

Hi everyone,

I was curious as to whether the following scenarios would be possible:

a) using a 9 speed cassette with 8 speed chain / derailer and
b) using an 8 speed cassette on a 9 speed freehub.

If so, is there anything I should know about the configuration in
either case?

Thanks a lot

On Aug 3, 8:56 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was curious as to whether the following scenarios would be possible:
>
> a) using a 9 speed cassette with 8 speed chain / derailer and
> b) using an 8 speed cassette on a 9 speed freehub.
>
> If so, is there anything I should know about the configuration in
> either case?
>
> Thanks a lot

a] Couldn't tell you, but I've heard the 8-speed chain may be a little
wide for 9-speed cassette cogs. Hope fully others will chime in on
this.
b] Yes. I just replaced a 9-speed cassette with an 8-speed XT on a 105
"9" hub. Fits perfect, and I'm still using the 9-speed chain, too. No
problems.

In article
<[email protected]>
,
Joe Bernard <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Aug 3, 8:56 am, [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I was curious as to whether the following scenarios would be possible:
> >
> > a) using a 9 speed cassette with 8 speed chain / derailer and
> > b) using an 8 speed cassette on a 9 speed freehub.
> >
> > If so, is there anything I should know about the configuration in
> > either case?
> >
> > Thanks a lot

> a] Couldn't tell you, but I've heard the 8-speed chain may be a little
> wide for 9-speed cassette cogs. Hope fully others will chime in on
> this.

They are not a little wide for the 9-speed cassette
cogs. The 8-speed and the 9-speed cogs are the same
width.

--
Michael Press

On Aug 3, 9:56 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was curious as to whether the following scenarios would be possible:
>
> a) using a 9 speed cassette with 8 speed chain / derailer and
> b) using an 8 speed cassette on a 9 speed freehub.
>
> If so, is there anything I should know about the configuration in
> either case?
>
> Thanks a lot

a) 8s chains are too wide for the spacing of 9s..lots of noise,
diffucult to adjust. The derailleur doesn't care unless the rder is DA
8s, which adds some compatibility issues with 9s shifters(only shifts
8s spacing).
b) No problem here as long as the freehub is shimano 'HG' or
hyperglide compatible.