Dura-Ace 9 speed Compatibility

Phil B.

Guest
For the Experts -

1.) Will a DA 9 Speed bar end shifters work on XTR 9 speed cassette
and rear derailer ?? I know in the past DA has had spoty
compatibility with lesser or different groups.

2.) Is the DA front (left) shifter indexed or ratcheting ?

Thanks All
Phil in Sonoma Co

In article <[email protected]>,
Phil B. <[email protected]> wrote:

> For the Experts -
>
> 1.) Will a DA 9 Speed bar end shifters work on XTR 9 speed cassette
> and rear derailer ?? I know in the past DA has had spoty
> compatibility with lesser or different groups.

Will work fine. DA9 is arguably the least weird DA group ever. Shimano
road and mountain FRONT shifter/der combos use different leverage and
pulls, and are not compatible, but the rears are fine.

> 2.) Is the DA front (left) shifter indexed or ratcheting ?

Indexed, with trim points, too. A Campy front shifter will happily move
a derailer from Shimano.

>> 2.) Is the DA front (left) shifter indexed or ratcheting ?

>Indexed, with trim points, too. A Campy front shifter will happily move
>a derailer from Shimano.

This is true of DA *STI* shifters, but not of the bar-end shifters.
The Shimano left-hand bar-end shifters are NOT indexed, and so would
work fine with XTR (or anything else, for that matter).

Phil B. wrote:
> For the Experts -
>
> 1.) Will a DA 9 Speed bar end shifters work on XTR 9 speed cassette
> and rear derailer ?? I know in the past DA has had spoty
> compatibility with lesser or different groups.

Yes, with 9s, all shimano rear derrailleurs becaome intercompatible.

> 2.) Is the DA front (left) shifter indexed or ratcheting ?

Friction only, nieither ratcheting or indexed.

> Thanks All
> Phil in Sonoma Co

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in news:rcousine-
[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Phil B. <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> For the Experts -
>>
>> 1.) Will a DA 9 Speed bar end shifters work on XTR 9 speed cassette
>> and rear derailer ?? I know in the past DA has had spoty
>> compatibility with lesser or different groups.

> Will work fine. DA9 is arguably the least weird DA group ever. Shimano
> road and mountain FRONT shifter/der combos use different leverage and
> pulls, and are not compatible, but the rears are fine.
>
>> 2.) Is the DA front (left) shifter indexed or ratcheting ?

> Indexed, with trim points, too. A Campy front shifter will happily move
> a derailer from Shimano.

OP asked about bar-ends. Shimano (like most mfrs.) has friction on the
front bar-ends, and they will work fine with an XTR FD. You're right about
the STIs, though.

By the way Phil, I'm now setting up most of my new bikes with Dura Ace
bar ends and generally an Ultegra or 105 long arm. With a 13-27 9-speed
cogset and compact cranks you can ride up Mt. Tam or over Chalk Hill
without thinking about it.

I rode my Chorus bike this last weekend and while I like it and it
really is sophisticated, exactly how sophiticated do you want a bicycle
for crying out loud? Especially when you're talking about $400 for a
set of combined shifters.

Thanks to all the replies. Looks like I'll be in shifty heaven soon.

Phil

Tom wrote:
> By the way Phil, I'm now setting up most of my new bikes with Dura Ace
> bar ends and generally an Ultegra or 105 long arm. With a 13-27 9-speed
> cogset and compact cranks you can ride up Mt. Tam or over Chalk Hill
> without thinking about it.
>
> I rode my Chorus bike this last weekend and while I like it and it
> really is sophisticated, exactly how sophiticated do you want a bicycle
> for crying out loud? Especially when you're talking about $400 for a
> set of combined shifters.

Wow. You are really getting suckered or are unbelievably gullible if
you are paying that much for Chorus Ergo shifters. Below is a link to
the Record Ergo shifters for $280 full price. Before you catch the
numerous 10% off coupons and 10% Team Performance rebate. I bought my
Record shifters from Performance for about $195.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=14659&item=50-0596&slitrk=search&slisearch=true