Dura-Ace Bar-end shifters

Lloyd Kwong

Guest
I was hoping someone could provide some advice. I'm using DA bar-end shifters on aerobars and have
been noticing that when I'm on the big chainring and I stand up to sprint, the front derailleur
starts to 'slip' back towards the small chainring causing chain rub, no matter HOW tight I tighten
the bar-con shifter. Can the DA bar-con for the front derailleur operate in SIS mode and 'click' so
that it doesn't slip when I'm out of the saddle? It seems to 'click' into the small chainring
position, but not into the big chainring position.

Thanks.

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Lloyd Kwong wrote:
>
> > I was hoping someone could provide some advice. I'm using DA bar-end shifters on aerobars and
> > have been noticing that when I'm on the big chainring and I stand up to sprint, the front
> > derailleur starts to 'slip' back towards the small chainring causing chain rub, no matter HOW
> > tight I tighten the bar-con shifter. Can the DA bar-con for the front derailleur operate in SIS
> > mode and 'click' so that it doesn't slip when I'm out of the saddle?
>
> No.
>
> The problem is probably not in the lever. I have an article about this, see:
> http://sheldonbrown.com/autoshift.html
>
> Sheldon "Grease Is Good" Brown +-----------------------------+
> | Razors pain you; | Rivers are damp; | Acids stain you; | And drugs cause cramp; | Guns aren't
> | lawful; | Nooses give; | Gas smells awful; | You might as well live. | --Dorothy Parker |
> +-----------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX
> 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
> http://sheldonbrown.com

slick trick, though I'd think greasing cable guides would be enough. couldn't resist!