Dura Ace BB Spindles?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike S., Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Hey, been having a bit of a problem with two Dura Ace BB spindles. Seems that the races that the
    balls ride on loosen up for no apparent reason.

    I warrantied one spindle, got the replacement, installed it, and within a few weeks, it had done it
    again. I've done loose ball BBs lots and lots of times, so it isn't "mechanic error."

    Anyone else have a problem like this?

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:53:20 -0700, "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey, been having a bit of a problem with two Dura Ace BB spindles. Seems that the races that the
    >balls ride on loosen up for no apparent reason.
    >
    >I warrantied one spindle, got the replacement, installed it, and within a few weeks, it had done it
    >again. I've done loose ball BBs lots and lots of times, so it isn't "mechanic error."
    >
    >Anyone else have a problem like this?

    The cones on which the balls of 7700 bottom brackets orbit are intentionally designed to fit on the
    spindle loosely enough to allow replacement. Although they fit on the spindle with very close
    tolerances, it's not a press fit and can therefore be slipped on and off by hand. The _flaw_ you're
    describing is actually a _feature_.

    See the exploded diagram of 7700 bottom brackets at
    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/BB_7700.pdf

    The cones are Shimano part number Y-1TG07000.

    http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
    twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online

  3. mikeshaw-<< Hey, been having a bit of a problem with two Dura Ace BB spindles. Seems that the races
    that the balls ride on loosen up for no apparent reason.

    Spline DA BB spindles? The races are loose and can be replaced.

    << Anyone else have a problem like this?

    Again, not a problem, the things come off easily.