Dura-Ace brifters with 48-34 chainrings

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric Douglas, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Eric Douglas

    Eric Douglas Guest

    I'm setting up my new road bike with the intention of making the gearing as versatile as possible.
    I'm considering trying to use a Dura-Ace brifter with 48- and 34 tooth chainrings. I realize that
    this setup is not ideal, but I have run 46-36-24 chainrings with the same front deraileur (however,
    the shifter was non-indexed). Are there any potential problems? Any suggestions?

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I'd suggest you use Ergo shifters. A regular Campy front derailleur will shift the 48/34 ok. For
    perfection, you grind a little of the nose of the front derailleur down to get it to conform closer
    to the shape of the 48.

    I use a 48/34 for most of my events, which are usually long distance. In town, I use a 12/23
    cassette and when it gets really mountainous, I put on a Shimano 12/27 or a made up Campy 9 12/28.

    On 25 Apr 2003 10:05:20 -0700, [email protected] (Eric Douglas) wrote:

    >I'm setting up my new road bike with the intention of making the gearing as versatile as possible.
    >I'm considering trying to use a Dura-Ace brifter with 48- and 34 tooth chainrings. I realize that
    >this setup is not ideal, but I have run 46-36-24 chainrings with the same front deraileur (however,
    >the shifter was non-indexed). Are there any potential problems? Any suggestions?

  3. ekdouglas-<< I'm considering trying to use a Dura-Ace brifter with 48- and 34 tooth chainrings. I
    realize that this setup is not ideal, but I have run 46-36-24 chainrings with the same front
    deraileur (however, the shifter was non-indexed).

    may work with a normal dbl front der or perhaps a ultegra triple fder...

  4. Eric Douglas

    Eric Douglas Guest

    Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'd suggest you use Ergo shifters. A regular Campy front derailleur will shift the 48/34 ok. For
    > perfection, you grind a little of the nose of the front derailleur down to get it to conform
    > closer to the shape of the 48.
    >
    > I use a 48/34 for most of my events, which are usually long distance. In town, I use a 12/23
    > cassette and when it gets really mountainous, I put on a Shimano 12/27 or a made up Campy 9 12/28.

    Don't you run into compatabity problems using a Campy brifter with a Shimano cogset?

    Eric Douglas

  5. On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:16:39 -0400, Eric Douglas wrote:

    > Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I'd suggest you use Ergo shifters. A regular Campy front derailleur will shift the 48/34 ok. For
    >> perfection, you grind a little of the nose of the front derailleur down to get it to conform
    >> closer to the shape of the 48.

    > Don't you run into compatabity problems using a Campy brifter with a Shimano cogset?

    Not up front. ;-)

  6. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    I'm using Ultegra 9s STI levers with 48-34 TA chainrings on a 110BCD Deore XT crank and a Suntour
    XC4050 front derailleur. All seems to work fine...

    Nick

    news:[email protected]...