Dura-Ace brifters with 48-34 chainrings

Eric Douglas

Guest
I'm setting up my new road bike with the intention of making the gearing as versatile as possible.
I'm considering trying to use a Dura-Ace brifter with 48- and 34 tooth chainrings. I realize that
this setup is not ideal, but I have run 46-36-24 chainrings with the same front deraileur (however,
the shifter was non-indexed). Are there any potential problems? Any suggestions?

I'd suggest you use Ergo shifters. A regular Campy front derailleur will shift the 48/34 ok. For
perfection, you grind a little of the nose of the front derailleur down to get it to conform closer
to the shape of the 48.

I use a 48/34 for most of my events, which are usually long distance. In town, I use a 12/23
cassette and when it gets really mountainous, I put on a Shimano 12/27 or a made up Campy 9 12/28.

On 25 Apr 2003 10:05:20 -0700, [email protected] (Eric Douglas) wrote:

>I'm setting up my new road bike with the intention of making the gearing as versatile as possible.
>I'm considering trying to use a Dura-Ace brifter with 48- and 34 tooth chainrings. I realize that
>this setup is not ideal, but I have run 46-36-24 chainrings with the same front deraileur (however,
>the shifter was non-indexed). Are there any potential problems? Any suggestions?

ekdouglas-<< I'm considering trying to use a Dura-Ace brifter with 48- and 34 tooth chainrings. I
realize that this setup is not ideal, but I have run 46-36-24 chainrings with the same front
deraileur (however, the shifter was non-indexed).

may work with a normal dbl front der or perhaps a ultegra triple fder...

Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'd suggest you use Ergo shifters. A regular Campy front derailleur will shift the 48/34 ok. For
> perfection, you grind a little of the nose of the front derailleur down to get it to conform
> closer to the shape of the 48.
>
> I use a 48/34 for most of my events, which are usually long distance. In town, I use a 12/23
> cassette and when it gets really mountainous, I put on a Shimano 12/27 or a made up Campy 9 12/28.

Don't you run into compatabity problems using a Campy brifter with a Shimano cogset?

Eric Douglas

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:16:39 -0400, Eric Douglas wrote:

> Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> I'd suggest you use Ergo shifters. A regular Campy front derailleur will shift the 48/34 ok. For
>> perfection, you grind a little of the nose of the front derailleur down to get it to conform
>> closer to the shape of the 48.

> Don't you run into compatabity problems using a Campy brifter with a Shimano cogset?

Not up front. ;-)

I'm using Ultegra 9s STI levers with 48-34 TA chainrings on a 110BCD Deore XT crank and a Suntour
XC4050 front derailleur. All seems to work fine...

Nick

news:[email protected]...