Dura Ace chain compatible with Ultegra?

ROBIN9

Mar 31, 2006
Hi,

Is a Dura Ace chain compatible with Ultegra cassette / rings?

Anyone know or have relative experience?

Cheers!

ROBIN9 said:
Hi,

Is a Dura Ace chain compatible with Ultegra cassette / rings?

Anyone know or have relative experience?

Cheers!

Sure and vice versa so long as you're talking 9speed to 9 speed or 10 speed to 10 speed.

yep, I've been mixing the chains and cassettes for ages, but, as above, 9sp must go with 9, and 10 with 10.

8, 7 and 6 can be mixed coz the chain and spacing are the same widths, but they can't be mixed with 9 or 10.

I actually prefer Ultegra chains, BBs and cassettes due to their much lower price even though everything else on my bike is DA.

capwater said:
I actually prefer Ultegra chains, BBs and cassettes due to their much lower price even though everything else on my bike is DA.
I do the same thing: I buy Ultegra for the fast-wearing stuff, such as hubs, cassettes and chains, but Dura-Ace for everything else.

This is how I remember the 'history':)........correct me if I'm wrong

they used the same chain width for a gazillion, years, right to 8 speed. Incidentally, when 7 and 8 speed came in they had to change the design of the hub body to the cassette style because too many axles were breaking -- I busted heaps of axles using 7 speed screw-on clusters. When 9 speed came by, they had to narrow the spacing (chain & cassette) because the chain-line would've otherwise been screwed up; same again for 10 speed.