Dura-Ace crank install question

Eric Murray

Guest
I'm installing a Dura-Ace triple kit on my Airborne.

The left crank arm doesn't appear to be seating fully on the "pipe" spindle. I installed it
carefully, alinging the splines on the spindle with the splines on the crank with the self-extractor
cap off. I torqued it down to halfway between the given spec and the arm appeared to not be seated
all the way. On removing the crank bolt, I can see a few mm of spline in the crank arm. Is that
supposed to be there?

Everything was greased. I tool the arm back off and checked the splines, I did have them
aligned right.

Thanks.

Eric

Eric:

Did you take the cap off the crank before installing it? If not you are doing it incorrectly.

Take the cap off, install the crank on the spindle, thread the retaining bolt into the spindle and
torque to spec. THEN install the cap.

MOO, Matt

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:23:42 GMT, [email protected] (Eric Murray) wrote:

>I'm installing a Dura-Ace triple kit on my Airborne.
>
>The left crank arm doesn't appear to be seating fully on the "pipe" spindle. I installed it
>carefully, alinging the splines on the spindle with the splines on the crank with the
>self-extractor cap off. I torqued it down to halfway between the given spec and the arm appeared to
>not be seated all the way. On removing the crank bolt, I can see a few mm of spline in the crank
>arm. Is that supposed to be there?
>
>Everything was greased. I tool the arm back off and checked the splines, I did have them
>aligned right.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Eric

If indeed the splines were lined up correctly (which you've verified by removing the arm and not
seeing any damage, the just tighten it down more.

Bob

In article <[email protected]>, Matt Locker <[email protected]> wrote:

>Did you take the cap off the crank before installing it?

Yes. See my original post. Actually the cranks came with the caps off-- they were in a bag with the
crank bolts.

Eric

> spam-<< Yes. See my original post. Actually the cranks came with the caps off-- they were in a bag
> with the crank bolts
>
> Align the splines and crank it down...all ya need to do-

I was helping a friend of mine build his new 5900 yesterday. I watched him torque the crankarms
down like he did with the old square taper cranks. Went over and really torqued the heck out of
them and firmly seated the cranks. Ya gotta really crank on them thar new fangled cranks to get
them really on there.

Mike