Dura Ace Cranks 7703 & 7701

Daniel Anderson

Guest
I just got some cranks off of e-bay, and the vendor sent the 7703 (with
three chain rings) instead of the 7701 (with only two). Can I just remove
the 30 ring and forge on ahead, or is there a substantial difference that
would make it necessary to exchange for the 7701?

Thanks

Danny

Daniel Anderson wrote:

> I just got some cranks off of e-bay, and the vendor sent the 7703 (with
> three chain rings) instead of the 7701 (with only two). Can I just remove
> the 30 ring and forge on ahead, or is there a substantial difference that
> would make it necessary to exchange for the 7701?

Yes, you can just remove the 30 and run it as a double.

Sheldon "Easy One" Brown
I was on vacation, traveling in France and England throughout most of
the month of June.

Due to the SPAM and Virus problem, I typically get about 4,000 emails
daily. Usually my filters are able to deal with the flood, but while I
was overseas, I wasn't able to get Internet access as often as I would
have liked.

As a result, my mailbox got choked up on two occasions, causing the loss
of about 190 mb of mail (tens of thousands of messages) each time.

If you mailed me and didn't get an answer, please re-send your message.

All the best,

Sheldon Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

says...

>Daniel Anderson wrote:
>
>> I just got some cranks off of e-bay, and the vendor sent the 7703 (with
>> three chain rings) instead of the 7701 (with only two). Can I just remove
>> the 30 ring and forge on ahead, or is there a substantial difference that
>> would make it necessary to exchange for the 7701?

>Yes, you can just remove the 30 and run it as a double.

I'm curious, would you need the double or triple BB?
---------------
Alex

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:29:49 GMT, "Daniel Anderson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I just got some cranks off of e-bay

You need to scan your PC for the presence of malware immediately.

Michael J. Klein [email protected]
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

Daniel Anderson wrote:

>>>I just got some cranks off of e-bay, and the vendor sent the 7703 (with
>>>three chain rings) instead of the 7701 (with only two). Can I just remove
>>>the 30 ring and forge on ahead, or is there a substantial difference that
>>>would make it necessary to exchange for the 7701?

I replied:

>>Yes, you can just remove the 30 and run it as a double.

Alex Rodriguez asked:

>I'm curious, would you need the double or triple BB?

Chainline would be better with the 109 mm ("double")

Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/chainline" Brown
+-------------------------------------+
| Natural laws have no pity. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
+-------------------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

adr-<< I'm curious, would you need the double or triple BB? >><BR><BR>

Since the 7703 crank is a 7700 double with the small ring attached to the
middle, a 109.5mm BB-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Daniel Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>I just got some cranks off of e-bay, and the vendor sent the 7703 (with
>three chain rings) instead of the 7701 (with only two). Can I just remove
>the 30 ring and forge on ahead, or is there a substantial difference that
>would make it necessary to exchange for the 7701?

Lucky you! Supergo sells the 7701 for $199.98, the 7703 is $249.98, Colorado
Cyclists is $199.99 vs $299.99. Nashbar has the 7701 for $189. That 30 tooth
ring sure is expensive, isn't it?

Sell your 7703 before you use it and buy a 7701, then pocket the $50 to $110
difference.