Dura Ace Crankset Question

rappstar

Aug 16, 2007
I'm pretty sure I'm getting ripped off at my local bike shop. I've been upgrading some components on my bike this summer, and after spending quite a bit of money, I just started to compare prices on the internet.

I'm considering buying a NIB Dura Ace Crankset from Ebay. I don't know what the 175mm spec/measurement is for. It seems like there are a few options for that spec.

Please help!:)

rappstar said:
I'm pretty sure I'm getting ripped off at my local bike shop. I've been upgrading some components on my bike this summer, and after spending quite a bit of money, I just started to compare prices on the internet.

I'm considering buying a NIB Dura Ace Crankset from Ebay. I don't know what the 175mm spec/measurement is for. It seems like there are a few options for that spec.

Please help!:)
I am pretty certain that this is the length of the crank arm measured from the center of the BB axle hole to the center of the pedal hole. They usually range from 165mm - 175mm. I don't really know how much difference .39" variation is going to make but it seems to matter or else they wouldn't bother telling you the crank arm length. Perhaps someone else knows and could enlighten both of us.

rappstar said:
175 = 175mm from centre of crank spider to the centre of the pedal hole.

You'll find your current size marked on the inside aspect of your existing crankset.

Refer to this thread for more info on sizing.

In summary - shorter legs = shorter cranks, and likewise for longer. How short or long depends on who you believe and what works for you.

n

There are also schools of thought concerning ideal crank length.

Shorter cranks theoretically allow you to spin higher rpm, while longer cranks allow better use of leverage while climbing at low rpm etc.

I always like reading Sheldon Browns articles to add an interesting viewpoint to any cycling discussion...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cranks.html

Some people will tell you there is an absolute formula for inseam length to determine crank length... I say hogwash!

But, I have been wrong before!

;)