Dura Ace/CXP-33 or Shimano 7701 Wheelset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by 8cht, May 9, 2004.

  1. 8cht

    8cht Guest

    I want to build up (or purchase) a race wheelset. My current wheelset is
    Ultegra hubs,Open Pro rims, 32 hole, DT 14/15 spokes, brass nipples. I'm a
    good climber, OK sprinter, and do not race time trials. I weigh about 160
    and am a pretty good wheel builder. I'm considering two possibilities (as
    I'd like to stay with Shimano internals for easy servicing):

    1) Dura Ace 7700 hubs, CXP 33 rims, 28 hole front, 32 hole rear, DT 14/15
    spokes (possibly Revolution spokes in front), alloy nipples
    2) Shimano 7701 Wheelset (price has dropped but wondering about spoke
    replacement if needed)

    Please give your opinions about which would be the better race wheelset for
    me and please confine it to the two options above. Thanks

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee Guest

    8cht wrote:
    > I want to build up (or purchase) a race wheelset. My current wheelset is
    > Ultegra hubs,Open Pro rims, 32 hole, DT 14/15 spokes, brass nipples. I'm
    > a good climber, OK sprinter, and do not race time trials. I weigh about
    > 160 and am a pretty good wheel builder. I'm considering two
    > possibilities (as I'd like to stay with Shimano internals for easy
    > servicing):
    > 1) Dura Ace 7700 hubs, CXP 33 rims, 28 hole front, 32 hole rear, DT
    > 14/15 spokes (possibly Revolution spokes in front), alloy nipples
    > 2) Shimano 7701 Wheelset (price has dropped but wondering about spoke
    > replacement if needed)
    > Please give your opinions about which would be the better race wheelset
    > for me and please confine it to the two options above. Thanks

    I really don't think you will gain any measurable advantages with either
    choice over what you already have unless they are worn out or damaged.

    --

  3. basjan

    basjan Guest

    "8cht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I want to build up (or purchase) a race wheelset. My current wheelset is
    > Ultegra hubs,Open Pro rims, 32 hole, DT 14/15 spokes, brass nipples. I'm

    > good climber, OK sprinter, and do not race time trials. I weigh about 160
    > and am a pretty good wheel builder. I'm considering two possibilities (as
    > I'd like to stay with Shimano internals for easy servicing):
    >
    > 1) Dura Ace 7700 hubs, CXP 33 rims, 28 hole front, 32 hole rear, DT 14/15
    > spokes (possibly Revolution spokes in front), alloy nipples
    > 2) Shimano 7701 Wheelset (price has dropped but wondering about spoke
    > replacement if needed)
    >
    > Please give your opinions about which would be the better race wheelset

    for
    > me and please confine it to the two options above. Thanks

    I have two wheelsets: One DA 7700 hubs on Open Pro CDs & Shimano 7701

    There has been a lot of friendly banter on this newsgroup about the
    drawbacks of minimal spoked/boutique wheelsets, but the 16-spoke 7701s "feel
    faster". It may be due to a bunch of phsycological reasons, or maybe they
    are slightly lighter and it also seems that they ride very smooth (less
    vibration) (both wheelsets have the same tires and pressures). I bought a
    bunch of extra spokes and parts for in case, but have not had to use any of
    them or true the wheels in a year (I weigh 205 lbs).

    What I can mention is that the 7701s does not feel as stiff as the DAxOpen
    Pros, but that may be due to spoke tension etc. From what I have read they
    are generally not regarded as crit wheels. All the mention about
    proprietary parts is also true, you're basically stuck out there if a spoke
    breaks, but then again I don't ride in fear of that!

    Jan

  4. hortkiller-<< I want to build up (or purchase) a race wheelset. >><BR><BR>
    << I weigh about 160
    and am a pretty good wheel builder. I'm considering two possibilities (as
    I'd like to stay with Shimano internals for easy servicing): >><BR><BR>

    How about a set of Velocity Aeroheads, OC rear, 32 spoke rear with 14/15 spokes
    and Revs front, 32hole and laced three cross..brass nipps. The CXP-33 will be
    fine but the rims are not light, for a 'race' wheelset. Stay away from the
    shimano or any other wheel inna box.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.