Dura Ace Left Shifter Problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve W., Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    This weekend I had trouble shifting to the small chain ring. The shifter would click but there was
    no movement in the derailer. When I got it home and put it on the stand I couldn't get it to shift
    to the large ring which seemed like a derailer travel problem. I backed out the stops but the lever
    would only rotate about 10 degrees. The last thing I tried was to loosen the cable, actually
    disconnect it and I still only get about 10 degrees of rotation in the STI.

    Could something have broken and causing the lever to bind? This is 8 sp DA that looks almost new but
    it did come on a used bike I bought. Am I SOL?

    Any input would be appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Steve W.

    Tags:

  2. wicklands-<< The shifter would click but there was no movement in the derailer >><BR><BR> << I
    backed out the stops but the lever would only rotate about 10 degrees. The last thing I tried was to
    loosen the cable, actually disconnect it and I still only get about 10 degrees of rotation in the
    STI. >><BR><BR> << This is 8 sp DA that looks almost new but it did come on a used bike I bought. Am
    I SOL? >><BR><BR>

    8s DA is way more reliable than 9s...so you may try the 'STI repair kit', a big flush with
    WD-40....whilst shifting it, cable disconnected from the front der. Also may ensure the inner wire
    hasn't busted/frayed up in the shifter to prevent movement somehow. If it has gone south, you are
    SOL..ebay??

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    See if the lever movement "improves" if you completely remove the cable from the shifter as well
    as the derailleur. The description sounds suspiciously like a broken inner wire somewhere inside
    the housing.

    [email protected] (Steve W.) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > This weekend I had trouble shifting to the small chain ring. The shifter would click but there was
    > no movement in the derailer. When I got it home and put it on the stand I couldn't get it to shift
    > to the large ring which seemed like a derailer travel problem. I backed out the stops but the
    > lever would only rotate about 10 degrees. The last thing I tried was to loosen the cable, actually
    > disconnect it and I still only get about 10 degrees of rotation in the STI.
    >
    > Could something have broken and causing the lever to bind?

  4. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    [email protected] (Steve W.) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > This weekend I had trouble shifting to the small chain ring. The shifter would click but there was
    > no movement in the derailer.

    Flushing the STI with WD40 as suggested fixed it! Plenty of fine black sediment came out much to my
    surprise. My only regret is that I removed the STI. It would have been a 5 minute job if I did it
    on the bike.

    Thanks for the help.

    Steve W.